Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

a noobie question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:52 PM
xchriz012x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a noobie question.

i was just wondering if it's possible to add a blow off valve on non turbo charged or supercharged Z. i just like the sound of it.
is it possible? i know it's rice and all but...still i like the sound.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be prepared to be flamed.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:47 PM
BobaFettm

Originally posted by nis350ztt
Be prepared to be flamed.

LOL

But to your question... there is a product its on ebay... please dont do it though... its beyond lame... if you wanta strike fear in the car next to you... and you cant afford to buy a turbo / SC... I understand... but buy some sort of weapon... and just branish it at every car that looks like they wanta race you...
Old 02-18-2005, 01:06 AM
cmeissen

simple solution...

Just suck it up and buy a turbo
Old 02-18-2005, 03:34 AM
alininger2001

I think uncle ben sells one.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:51 AM
FairladyZ

No you cant. The purpose of a blow off valve is to keep the turbocharger spinning when the throttle plate is suddenly closed. Instead of the pressure slaming against the TB and back to the turbo it releases the pressure. Its basically a second safety measure to the wastegate against the turbocharger over-boosting and damaging the engine.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:02 AM
BobaFettm

Well... you really can... like I said its on ebay and you put it on your exhaust...
Old 02-18-2005, 09:37 AM
xchriz012x

Originally posted by FairladyZ
No you cant. The purpose of a blow off valve is to keep the turbocharger spinning when the throttle plate is suddenly closed. Instead of the pressure slaming against the TB and back to the turbo it releases the pressure. Its basically a second safety measure to the wastegate against the turbocharger over-boosting and damaging the engine.
thankx for your reply. looks like others don't really know how the bov works...they just wanted to embarrass me. s'all good though. i deserved it!
Old 02-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Kray Z

Its not that you deserved it your learning. Blowoff valve noise is very cool i will agree but it serves a purpose other than coolness. Unfortunately you will need a turbo to accomplish this.

As for the gimmicks if you do get them then you deserve it.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:55 AM
rct350z

BOV is just a safety device , thats all ... sound is cool though
so save up for a turbo kit ! or supercharger !
Old 02-23-2005, 09:42 AM
mystik_350z

it's safe? says who?

bypass valves are safe when they are routed back into the intake. bov's cause your car to run rich majority of the time. but i guess no really cares about that.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by mystik_350z
it's safe? says who?

bypass valves are safe when they are routed back into the intake. bov's cause your car to run rich majority of the time. but i guess no really cares about that.
You may be thinking of a wastegate, never heard of a BOV being routed back into the intake, but I could be wrong. I have heard of wastegates being routed back into the exhaust system though.

You tune the A/F ratio so you don't run rich. I would never run a turbo on a car that hasn't even been tuned.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:57 AM
mystik_350z

i come from the MR2 world, and they come stock with bypass valves. the bypass valves route into the intake.

the reason for this is because blow-off valves (opposed to by-pass valves) are not vented and the air is released into the atmosphere. the afm/maf/map sensor monitors the air being released, in turn the ecu recognizes the change in airflow and gives it more gas, therefore you're running rich.

but by having a bypass valve and having it vented back into the intake, the afm/maf/map sensor does not recognize a change in air flow.

Last edited by mystik_350z; 02-23-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Nevermind, I just asked someone and they have heard of it before.

"depends on if you running a MAS and where it is, if it's a draw through MAS you need to route the blow off back into intake after the MAS

if the air has already gone through the Mass Air Sensor, and you dump the pressure outside, it going to go rich

cause it's metering fule for air that is no longer there"

Whattaya know, learned something new today.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:04 AM
mystik_350z

and regardless if the car is tuned or not. it is almost impossible to tune the car for just the bov.

when you tune the car, you are trying to balance the A/F ratios between the RPMs. when you let go of the throttle is when the bov is doing it's job. and because the pressure being released from the bov varies upon how much load you put on the car, it is almost impossible to tune it for just the bov.

oh yea, and the HKS SSQV is the closest thing to a bypass valve. and it does vent back into the intake, for most models i believe. i am not sure if the universal kits do.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

i come from the MR2 world, and they come stock with bypass valves. the bypass valves route into the intake.

the reason for this is because blow-off valves (opposed to by-pass valves) are not vented and the air is released into the atmosphere. the afm/maf/map sensor monitors the air being released, in turn the ecu recognizes the change in airflow and gives it more gas, therefore you're running rich.

but by having a bypass valve and having it vented back into the intake, the afm/maf/map sensor does not recognize a change in air flow.
Thanks for explaining.

So what would be the advantage of an "external" (if you will) BOV over an "internal" BOV?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:05 AM
mystik_350z

always feels good when you shed some light on a subject for a moderator =)
Old 02-23-2005, 10:12 AM
mystik_350z

Originally posted by nis350ztt
Thanks for explaining.

So what would be the advantage of an "external" (if you will) BOV over an "internal" BOV?
well the advantage to a bypass valve (internal im assuming) is safety. most turbo'd stock cars will have bypass valves, especially german cars. the bypass valve prevents the car from running rich and helps it run more consistant.

ever notice when you are running high boost on an aftermarket bov and you release the throttle and you get that split second hesitation? well normal bov's cannot open and close as fast as bypass valves due to the design, so you get that slight hesitation due to the afm not reading the airflow properly.

the advantage to the bov's (external) is that you get the cool sound and they look totally awesome. most people exchange their bpv's for bov's because stock bpv's can only handle so much pressure before they crack (most casings are made out of plastic). but i think that is just an excuse for them to buy a cool shiny bov. =P

Last edited by mystik_350z; 02-23-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

well the advantage to a bypass valve (internal im assuming) is safety. most turbo'd stock cars will have bypass valves, especially german cars. the bypass valve prevents the car from running rich and helps it run more consistant.

ever notice when you are running high boost on an aftermarket bov and you release the throttle and you get that split second hesitation?

the advantage to the bov's (external) is that you get the cool sound. and most people exchange their bpv's for bov's because stock bpv's can only handle so much pressure before they crack (most casings are made out of plastic).
Oh.

Come to think of it, it does seem like there is a quick moment where almost nothing is happening.

Ahh, I figured it was just for the sound.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:20 AM
mystik_350z

http://mr2.noegruts.com/engine/engine01.jpg

there is a link to the bpv (it is labeled bov on the picture). notice the design is very different from you're convential aftermarket bov.

Quick Reply: a noobie question.