Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

is it worth it to do the crank pulley while i'm at it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 04:46 AM
sponsorsthisway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it worth it to do the crank pulley while i'm at it?

My JWT clutch and flywheel is on the way and when Crawford calls to say the plenums are going out i'll be getting the plenum, STB and the cats. I was also thinking of doing the crank pulley or the pulley set as well. Do you all think it would improve my mods i'm getting in noticably or would it not matter? Thanks!
Old 02-21-2005, 05:38 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: is it worth it to do the crank pulley while i'm at it?

Originally posted by sponsorsthisway
My JWT clutch and flywheel is on the way and when Crawford calls to say the plenums are going out i'll be getting the plenum, STB and the cats. I was also thinking of doing the crank pulley or the pulley set as well. Do you all think it would improve my mods i'm getting in noticably or would it not matter? Thanks!
86 the cats and get true test pipes. and yes, the pulley would make a difference - go for it.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:18 AM
sponsorsthisway

How do they compare to the crawford cats?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:55 AM
thawk408

Test pipes will give you rasp most likely. I would stick with the crawford cats. Good sound and power, without sounded annoying.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:06 AM
mofoz

You could always do resonated test pipes. I have heard good things about the kinetix pipes. No rasp either. The crank pulley will make a difference. Go for it.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Zivman

How do they compare to the crawford cats?
I have labree resonated testpipes and there is no rasp. They are cheaper than HFCs. IMO, go with test pipes or leave the stock cats in place. $500 for cats is just crazy if you aske me.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:39 AM
FairladyZ

me too
Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 AM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$95 resonated test pipes off ebay. They are made by Megan Racing. I have heard there is some rasp but definitely less than without resonaters. There is a thread about them floating around here somewhere. I ordered mine yesterday. I will have some Helix test pipes for sale here soon.

Zach
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 AM
kosmic

How much nastier (if at all) does your exhaust smell with just test pipes vs with the stock cats or vs high flow cats? Not a flame, I'm just curious.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Zivman

Originally posted by kosmic
How much nastier (if at all) does your exhaust smell with just test pipes vs with the stock cats or vs high flow cats? Not a flame, I'm just curious.
To be honest, I really don't notice a difference. The car may be a bit more smelly upon start up, but nothing really that bad. If the car is running properly, you shouldn't really have a bad smell.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:49 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Zivman
To be honest, I really don't notice a difference. The car may be a bit more smelly upon start up, but nothing really that bad. If the car is running properly, you shouldn't really have a bad smell.
+1
Old 02-21-2005, 09:51 PM
03daytonablue

Default Re: is it worth it to do the crank pulley while i'm at it?

Yes, do the UR crank pulley it's one of the best mod's you can do for under $200.00 You will gain about 5-9 HP&TQ through out the entire powerband!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

performance different between test pipes and high flow cats is soo minimal especially when you use good high flow cats...

i would do high flows and the crank pulley....

the difference in sound minus a horse power is worth not getting the headache...
Old 02-22-2005, 07:29 AM
sponsorsthisway

Yea, Crawford called me last night. My plenum, STB and cats are going out by the end of this week. Unfortunately, they're going to school and i'm on Spring Break all next week so i'll be home. Gonna have to wait awhile to get my stuff and then have it all installed. This is gonna take some time and i'm not a very patient person when it comes to staring at parts that should be going on my car lol. But yea, i'll be getting the crank pulley at the minimum. Is the whole set worth it? I've read it doesn't really matter.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:44 AM
sponsorsthisway

BTW, with these mods on the way and my current, does anyone have any idea as to what kind of hp i'll be around? ALso, will I be running lean? I'll probably need to get it reflashed but if i do the cams after this stuff i should do that before the reflash, right?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Gators2001

How do you like ur Pioneer N1?

What negatives do see in it?

Im thinking of throwing one of those puppies in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:32 AM
copba1t

Originally posted by kosmic
I had the Megan test pipes on, and although I could not detect much inside the car, they stank something awful out the a$$ end, it was a dead give-away and not worth the risk here in CA. So I switched to the new Helix cats and am very happy with them, smell no worse than stock with about the same perf as test pipes. I figure I spent $30k+ on the car I can afford $450 for some proper cats!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:36 AM
mystik_350z

pulleys aren't really a performance adder, its just squeezing out more performance from what you already have.

if you lighten you're crank, it will rotate quicker, hence outputing more power. sounds great right?

well all motors are harmonically balanced, meaning that each pulley, rod, piston, bolt, bearing, etc. is wieghed and balanced so that every time the crank turns, it will not cause stress on any of the other parts.

if you lighten the pulleys, than you throw off the wieght, and by doing that you cause stress on the other parts, whether it be the bolts, rod bearings, or pistons. but at that rate the crank revolves, it doesn't take long for something to go wrong. thats why you see when people build motors and build the bottom end, they have it blue printed and balanced so they dont throw a rod bearing or something 2 months down the road.

pulleys will feel like a great investment for the time being, but if you are planning on keeping the car for a while, i might stay away from them. this is just my advice to someone looking into a pulley set.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:39 AM
copba1t

Originally posted by mystik_350z
pulleys aren't really a performance adder, its just squeezing out more performance from what you already have.

if you lighten you're crank, it will rotate quicker, hence outputing more power. sounds great right?

well all motors are harmonically balanced, meaning that each pulley, rod, piston, bolt, bearing, etc. is wieghed and balanced so that every time the crank turns, it will not cause stress on any of the other parts.

if you lighten the pulleys, than you throw off the wieght, and by doing that you cause stress on the other parts, whether it be the bolts, rod bearings, or pistons. but at that rate the crank revolves, it doesn't take long for something to go wrong. thats why you see when people build motors and build the bottom end, they have it blue printed and balanced so they dont throw a rod bearing or something 2 months down the road.

pulleys will feel like a great investment for the time being, but if you are planning on keeping the car for a while, i might stay away from them. this is just my advice to someone looking into a pulley set.
This has been discussed over and over and over. If anyone is trying to decide whether to go with a pulley or not, please do a search and read through the HUNDREDS of posts with all the arguments anyone could ever make on the subject.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:42 AM
mystik_350z

Originally posted by copba1t
This has been discussed over and over and over. If anyone is trying to decide whether to go with a pulley or not, please do a search and read through the HUNDREDS of posts with all the arguments anyone could ever make on the subject.
im fairly new on this board, comming from the MR2 world. so please don't shoot me.

Quick Reply: is it worth it to do the crank pulley while i'm at it?