Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

3.9 gear installed - 350evo.com (Wright Tuning)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Z CRUZN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9 gear installed - 350evo.com (Wright Tuning)

Just got back home from a cruise up to Cincy to have the 3.9 final drive gear installed at 350evo.com. I don't track my Z so I'm going to try to address the concerns & "wanderings" I, as merely a "spirited street driver," had before making the decision to buy this modification (as I tried to do a few days ago on the JWT flywheel & clutch install I had done). As with the JWT setup, I had read as many postings as possible & talked via e-mail with BJ at 350evo.com about this mod. My main concerns were the following: 1) shortness of 1st gear (streetability), 2) feeling a "real" difference in performance (good go-fast mod??), 3) the setup of the gear in the diff. housing (noise), 4) highway cruising (RPM's & MPG).

1) Streetability - As many have posted after this mod, the first thing I wanted to say was "WOW!!!!" I'll try to expand on this a bit first. Wanting to feel the "real" outcome of this mod, I had BJ drive & I rode shotgun for the first drive with the 3.9. BJ, being a talented race driver, took it out through a pretty good 5 minute run for me & I was flabbergasted. I'll address this in #2. I then took over the driver's seat and took off. My first impression is that this is definitely a gear that should be an option on the Z. Previously to me, 1st gear actually felt like it took too long to get to the shifting point. And after the TS ECU flash, it took even longer. The 3.9 gear took care of this & I mean TOOK CARE OF IT!! The car just screams thru 1st & 2nd & I mean in a good way! I would say between the gear & the flywheel, the time spent in either gear is reduced by about a third (+ or - 5%). As I was driving in Cincy & after I got home driving thru the city streets, there was no feeling of "My God, I'm shifting way too much here" or "This is too radical." It actually felt pretty normal after driving an hour or two. A great street mod.

2) Performance - When BJ drove the car for the 1st time & I was in the passenger seat, he gave it a pretty good quick workout. I just couldn't believe the difference - it was like the car had been lightened considerably or an extra 20-25hp had been added. I just couldn't believe it...."Ah, maybe it's just because BJ was driving - it can't feel this much faster" - ha! After BJ pulled back to the shop, I took it out for a bit. Well, it was just as noticeable with me driving as BJ driving. No more punching this thing as I reach the apex of a corner to get that "power slide" show-off thing going - ha! Unless you just want to slide into a full 360 degree donut - ha! Before heading back to the shop to pay the bill, I did do a few rolling starts in 1st & 2nd. In 1st, about 3k rpm, floored it & the tires just lit up, then traction restored, then shifted into 2nd & lit 'em up again & a good "chirp" & squat shifting into 3rd. Rolling in 2nd at 4k rpm, floored it & tires broke loose...not an uncontrollable burnout, just a cool rear end waggle before taking off. And this was all done on a downhill slope of a road. Pretty cool! The feeling of torque & quicker time getting to the hp "sweet spots" is just unbelieveable. I have to honestly say that this (along with the Crawford goodies) is undoubtedly the best bang of any $$ I've spent. I'd recommend this to anyone!!

3) Setup & install - This area I am a little less familiar with than other parts of vehicles, but I'll explain the best I can. Took about 8 hours total. During assembly, my gear was setup with a little more offset (looser backlash) with the shims. Doing this allows for cooler operation of the diff - I did have BJ add the Nismo cooler diff cover as well. In a nutshell, the looser (more offset) the gear has, the cooler it runs, but adds to the chance of a rearend whine...the tighter (less offset), the hotter it runs, but lessens the chance of gear whine. BJ said they prefer the cooler settings on their race Z's, so that was fine with me (who was I to disagree - ha!). I like the idea of the thing running cooler - cool is good! Anyway, as I was driving back to Lexington, I was searching for the rearend whine & found it - Doing about 80 in 6th gear, 3300 rpms I could hear it - press on the gas, could hear the whine...let off & it disappeared. After experimenting a bit with different speeds & rpm's it seems like the "whine" (really more of a light roar sound) occurs between 2800 & 3500 rpm's while driving steady - during quick accelerations & quick decel's the whine wasn't noticeable. One other thing - while cruising in the "whine" spectrum, the CD I was playing basically covered the sound. As BJ told me, "As you drive for a bit if the noise ends up bothering you, just let us know & we'll re-shim tighter" - they'd have a diff. ready for for me - just drive in, an hour to switch out, then on the road - GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! At this point, the noise is a non-issue - not irritating, not obtrusive, not LOUD.

4) Highway cruising & RPM's - On the drive up to Cincy with stock 3.5 gear......ave. 80 mph, 3k rpm at 80, 27.9 mpg. Drive back home with the 3.9 gear: ave. 81 mph, 3300 rpm at 80, 26.1 mpg. I lost about 2 mpg on a 100 mile trip - not bad, very acceptable. As if I bought the Z for it's mileage - ha! The difference in rpm's at various speeds has been well-documented on various posts. At 80 with the 3.9, rpm's raise 300.

Sorry this post is so long - I just wanted to try to state my initial reactions to this with what I thought were legitimate concerns of a daily street driver who doesn't track (yet anyway - ha! May want to now!!), but wanted a real kick in the rear performance-wise. I worried about it, read & re-read the posts, wondered what to do, etc. - as with the JWT setup I went with, that crazy "fear of the unknown" is a killer. I know different mods & their owners reactions to them are very subjective & results will vary from mod to mod...car to car. These are my reactions - hope it helps some of you who have the same concerns I had.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:56 PM
homiusang

Default Re: 3.9 gear installed - 350evo.com (Wright Tuning)

I just love to read your write ups that you posted lately. Explains some questions I may have on those mods. Congrats. and enjoy those new mods!!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:13 PM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: 3.9 gear installed - 350evo.com (Wright Tuning)

Originally posted by Z CRUZN
Just got back home from a cruise up to Cincy to have the 3.9 final drive gear installed at 350evo.com. I don't track my Z so I'm going to try to address the concerns & "wanderings" I, as merely a "spirited street driver," had before making the decision to buy this modification (as I tried to do a few days ago on the JWT flywheel & clutch install I had done). As with the JWT setup, I had read as many postings as possible & talked via e-mail with BJ at 350evo.com about this mod. My main concerns were the following: 1) shortness of 1st gear (streetability), 2) feeling a "real" difference in performance (good go-fast mod??), 3) the setup of the gear in the diff. housing (noise), 4) highway cruising (RPM's & MPG).

1) Streetability - As many have posted after this mod, the first thing I wanted to say was "WOW!!!!" I'll try to expand on this a bit first. Wanting to feel the "real" outcome of this mod, I had BJ drive & I rode shotgun for the first drive with the 3.9. BJ, being a talented race driver, took it out through a pretty good 5 minute run for me & I was flabbergasted. I'll address this in #2. I then took over the driver's seat and took off. My first impression is that this is definitely a gear that should be an option on the Z. Previously to me, 1st gear actually felt like it took too long to get to the shifting point. And after the TS ECU flash, it took even longer. The 3.9 gear took care of this & I mean TOOK CARE OF IT!! The car just screams thru 1st & 2nd & I mean in a good way! I would say between the gear & the flywheel, the time spent in either gear is reduced by about a third (+ or - 5%). As I was driving in Cincy & after I got home driving thru the city streets, there was no feeling of "My God, I'm shifting way too much here" or "This is too radical." It actually felt pretty normal after driving an hour or two. A great street mod.

2) Performance - When BJ drove the car for the 1st time & I was in the passenger seat, he gave it a pretty good quick workout. I just couldn't believe the difference - it was like the car had been lightened considerably or an extra 20-25hp had been added. I just couldn't believe it...."Ah, maybe it's just because BJ was driving - it can't feel this much faster" - ha! After BJ pulled back to the shop, I took it out for a bit. Well, it was just as noticeable with me driving as BJ driving. No more punching this thing as I reach the apex of a corner to get that "power slide" show-off thing going - ha! Unless you just want to slide into a full 360 degree donut - ha! Before heading back to the shop to pay the bill, I did do a few rolling starts in 1st & 2nd. In 1st, about 3k rpm, floored it & the tires just lit up, then traction restored, then shifted into 2nd & lit 'em up again & a good "chirp" & squat shifting into 3rd. Rolling in 2nd at 4k rpm, floored it & tires broke loose...not an uncontrollable burnout, just a cool rear end waggle before taking off. And this was all done on a downhill slope of a road. Pretty cool! The feeling of torque & quicker time getting to the hp "sweet spots" is just unbelieveable. I have to honestly say that this (along with the Crawford goodies) is undoubtedly the best bang of any $$ I've spent. I'd recommend this to anyone!!

3) Setup & install - This area I am a little less familiar with than other parts of vehicles, but I'll explain the best I can. Took about 8 hours total. During assembly, my gear was setup with a little more offset (looser backlash) with the shims. Doing this allows for cooler operation of the diff - I did have BJ add the Nismo cooler diff cover as well. In a nutshell, the looser (more offset) the gear has, the cooler it runs, but adds to the chance of a rearend whine...the tighter (less offset), the hotter it runs, but lessens the chance of gear whine. BJ said they prefer the cooler settings on their race Z's, so that was fine with me (who was I to disagree - ha!). I like the idea of the thing running cooler - cool is good! Anyway, as I was driving back to Lexington, I was searching for the rearend whine & found it - Doing about 80 in 6th gear, 3300 rpms I could hear it - press on the gas, could hear the whine...let off & it disappeared. After experimenting a bit with different speeds & rpm's it seems like the "whine" (really more of a light roar sound) occurs between 2800 & 3500 rpm's while driving steady - during quick accelerations & quick decel's the whine wasn't noticeable. One other thing - while cruising in the "whine" spectrum, the CD I was playing basically covered the sound. As BJ told me, "As you drive for a bit if the noise ends up bothering you, just let us know & we'll re-shim tighter" - they'd have a diff. ready for for me - just drive in, an hour to switch out, then on the road - GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! At this point, the noise is a non-issue - not irritating, not obtrusive, not LOUD.

4) Highway cruising & RPM's - On the drive up to Cincy with stock 3.5 gear......ave. 80 mph, 3k rpm at 80, 27.9 mpg. Drive back home with the 3.9 gear: ave. 81 mph, 3300 rpm at 80, 26.1 mpg. I lost about 2 mpg on a 100 mile trip - not bad, very acceptable. As if I bought the Z for it's mileage - ha! The difference in rpm's at various speeds has been well-documented on various posts. At 80 with the 3.9, rpm's raise 300.

Sorry this post is so long - I just wanted to try to state my initial reactions to this with what I thought were legitimate concerns of a daily street driver who doesn't track (yet anyway - ha! May want to now!!), but wanted a real kick in the rear performance-wise. I worried about it, read & re-read the posts, wondered what to do, etc. - as with the JWT setup I went with, that crazy "fear of the unknown" is a killer. I know different mods & their owners reactions to them are very subjective & results will vary from mod to mod...car to car. These are my reactions - hope it helps some of you who have the same concerns I had.

Z Cruzn,

Congradulations on your new performance addition. Two questions. First, do you also have the JWT clutch and flywheel you were discussing in the first paragraph? I assume that you do (Sorry, I see it in your signature). Next did you also get the Nismo differential? I have been thinking abut the 3.9 final drive, but was considering staying with the stock differential since I don't track my car either. I understand that the Nismo differential makes alot more noise. Thanks.

Last edited by ZPirate; 03-03-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:29 PM
ReavTek

Great write up! I have been interested in the Final Drive for quite awhile, just haven't had the money. Sounds like something I will definetly be doin in the future. Anyway you could make a video of you gunning it up to 100 mph? I want this to lower my 0-100 times.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Machupo

I have to say *DITTO* on all of the above -- this mod is awesome -- even though I only got to drive it for 30 minutes before i took it back to get it redone

that being said... i wish I would have thought more about sending my Cusco RS to 350evo and having it properly assembled there... after talking with BJ and the crew, they've got complete sets of the proper shims there, and all the knowledge on how to do the install...

i've bought a complete shim set myself now (all 20 of the bastards ) -- and FWIW, even if you want something a bit higher-end than the NISMO LSD, ship it to 350evo and pay for the complete pumpkin... you won't have to languish through 100% sunny days in VA Beach while your Z is in the shop for four weeks... ARGGGHHH!

to sum it up, i love this mod, and hopefully my car will be done tomorrow so i can hit the opening day at MIR and give you all some #'s

take care!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Z CRUZN

homiusang - Thanks man! Just tried to post & talk about the things I was concerned with as a daily spirited driver. Glad it helps!

ZPirate - Yeah, I went round & round about the Nismo LSD. After talking in depth the BJ at 350.evo & the tech that was going to do the install, I decided that I didn't need the LSD for my driving habits. I weighed all the options....noise, performance, etc. - and we all thought staying with the viscous lsd already in the rear end was the best for me - I just wanted the street fun. Taking nothing away from the aftermarket LSD's....they are an excellent choice (most say definitely needed) for tracking & to some, an excellent choice for the street as well. It just varies from driver to driver.... For me, the choice was stay with the stock lsd. The nice thing is...can always add it in the future if desired (another bunch of labor $$$ for that option however - ha!). I'll put it this way... after 1 day, I'm extremely happy with the route I took. Hope this helps........
Old 03-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Z CRUZN

Originally posted by Machupo
I have to say *DITTO* on all of the above -- this mod is awesome -- even though I only got to drive it for 30 minutes before i took it back to get it redone

that being said... i wish I would have thought more about sending my Cusco RS to 350evo and having it properly assembled there... after talking with BJ and the crew, they've got complete sets of the proper shims there, and all the knowledge on how to do the install...

i've bought a complete shim set myself now (all 20 of the bastards ) -- and FWIW, even if you want something a bit higher-end than the NISMO LSD, ship it to 350evo and pay for the complete pumpkin... you won't have to languish through 100% sunny days in VA Beach while your Z is in the shop for four weeks... ARGGGHHH!

to sum it up, i love this mod, and hopefully my car will be done tomorrow so i can hit the opening day at MIR and give you all some #'s

take care!

Right on!! After checking out the stages of this assembly & watching a bit of it, BJ & his crew know exactly what they're doing, for sure! BTW, the shims are expensive.....huh?? Be sure to let us know how you do at MIR - your setup should just SCREAM.........
Old 03-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Gman2004

how much for part? labor?
Old 03-03-2005, 07:25 PM
NORCALSTI

parts and labor your looking at about 1400-1600 total

im taking my rear end out of the car adn shop charged 150 to do the rear end. they do tons of 240z with 350 swaps
Old 03-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Z CRUZN

I'm sure install will vary from shop to shop........ For 3.9 gear, Nismo diff. cooler cover, shims, seals, crush collar, fluid, labor I paid $1500 & change.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:25 AM
PumpedVA

I am doing the swap from a 5AT to a 6MT rear so it will not be 3.9 think its something like 3:35 t0 3:53 but never less hope to notice the same gains.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Z CRUZN

Originally posted by PumpedVA
I am doing the swap from a 5AT to a 6MT rear so it will not be 3.9 think its something like 3:35 t0 3:53 but never less hope to notice the same gains.
I friend of mine in Iowa - zzzya - did a 6mt rear swap in his AT & said he really enjoyed it. Might send him a PM for his opinion.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:46 AM
faris13

nice review, made me feel alot more comfortable with my decision to buy it.

Im installing mine up at wright tuning at the end of this month, i cant wait. From what I've read this seems to be one of the best bang for the buck mods. Well, I should have a review up in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:21 PM
speedform

Originally Posted by Z CRUZN
I'm sure install will vary from shop to shop........ For 3.9 gear, Nismo diff. cooler cover, shims, seals, crush collar, fluid, labor I paid $1500 & change.
Whoa.....is that price just for labor or labor and all the parts? If it's with everything included that's a killer price! 350Evo's website lists the 3.9 gear and Nismo diff, preassembled for around $2250.00 after core exchange. Am I missing something here?
Old 03-12-2005, 10:46 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah cause normally the FD and LSD are $850 each just for those individual parts - not including all the misc parts needed to install them
Old 03-13-2005, 03:57 AM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1500 and change = 3.9 gears,pinion nut,crush sleeve,pinion seal, Nismo cover, and 8.5 hours labor.
The pre assembled unit we sell on the web site has the added cost of all new bearings throughout it.

Last edited by dwnshift; 03-13-2005 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:02 AM
Z CRUZN

Originally Posted by speedform
Whoa.....is that price just for labor or labor and all the parts? If it's with everything included that's a killer price! 350Evo's website lists the 3.9 gear and Nismo diff, preassembled for around $2250.00 after core exchange. Am I missing something here?

Read closer my friend.........as stated, I DID NOT do the Nismo differential...........(did the 3.9 gear, Nismo diff. cooler cover, shims, seal, crush collar, fluid, labor)
Old 03-13-2005, 03:17 PM
speedform

Originally Posted by Z CRUZN
Read closer my friend.........as stated, I DID NOT do the Nismo differential...........(did the 3.9 gear, Nismo diff. cooler cover, shims, seal, crush collar, fluid, labor)
sorry...I read the 'Nismo diff. cooler cover' as separate things.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:28 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone think of any reason why you wouldn't want to do the 3.9 gears with FI? say a S/C?

--mike
Old 03-14-2005, 08:06 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because you'd almost spend more time shifting than flooring it.

why do you think the new corvette Z06 gets such a low 4sec 0-60 time? It does it all in 1st gear - no shifting until past 60mph. It has so much HP it doesn't need as high of a final drive because with that much power you'd just spin tires instead of going if you floor it.

Quick Reply: 3.9 gear installed - 350evo.com (Wright Tuning)