Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

beginning mods for auto Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:38 PM
kaos1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginning mods for auto Z

the only mods i have now on my automatic touring Z is a nismo CAI.. .and im saving money for future mods.. i know a supercharger is ideal for an auto.. so thats what im aiming for.. but in the mean time, what should i work on before going for forced induction (superchargeR)?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:26 AM
1sick350

Default Re: beginning mods for auto Z

Originally posted by kaos1
the only mods i have now on my automatic touring Z is a nismo CAI.. .and im saving money for future mods.. i know a supercharger is ideal for an auto.. so thats what im aiming for.. but in the mean time, what should i work on before going for forced induction (superchargeR)?
Im also getting myself an auto z my self. THe modds im pickin up are the fallowing. The invidia exhaust, race pipes, nismo cai, and dc headers. I was goin to save for supercharger but since im barely able to afford the car casue im only 17 im stickin with goin bolt on modds. So if i were you i would get a diff exhaust, headers, and race pipes. So since im still debating on auot z vs 6spd. Maybe i can get ur perspective on the auto. Is it still a fun fast car to drive. Ijust dont want it to feel slow becasue ive been in alot of fast cars that i no are quciker than zs like my bros tt supra and mustang mach1s.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:43 AM
hypeiv

i was going to do a bunch of bolt ons but I am just saving that money I would spend on headers, exhuast, test pipes etc and thinking about going FI.

I like my exaust note so I don't know about changing anything on the exaust end but I bet headers and/or test pipes (or high flow cats) would be the next upgrade...

that or consider ECU reflash.

I also drive an auto and its plenty fast for me. One person on this forum ran a 14.2 I believe their first time at the track with an automatic Z and he just left it in drive. Another member has a 13.99 slip with the auto and he just has exaust I think and said he was using the automanual mode or whatever.

I don't think the auto slows Z's down as much as other automatic cars. A friend of mine had a integra LS (stick) and beat another friend of ours who drove a eclipse gt (auto) even though the rags had the eclipse gt stick at 0.6 faster in the 1/4 mile. The integra LS guy sold his car and got a GSR with intake, headers and exhaust and said he could beat me b/c he thought auto really just slows every car down alot. We raced and it wasn't even close.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:16 PM
1sick350

Originally posted by hypeiv
i was going to do a bunch of bolt ons but I am just saving that money I would spend on headers, exhuast, test pipes etc and thinking about going FI.

I like my exaust note so I don't know about changing anything on the exaust end but I bet headers and/or test pipes (or high flow cats) would be the next upgrade...

I also drive an auto and its plenty fast for me. One person on this forum ran a 14.2 I believe their first time at the track with an automatic Z and he just left it in drive. Another member has a 13.99 slip with the auto and he just has exaust I think and said he was using the automanual mode or whatever.

I don't think the auto slows Z's down as much as other automatic cars. A friend of mine had a integra LS (stick) and beat another friend of ours who drove a eclipse gt (auto) even though the rags had the eclipse gt stick at 0.6 faster in the 1/4 mile. The integra LS guy sold his car and got a GSR with intake, headers and exhaust and said he could beat me b/c he thought auto really just slows every car down alot. We raced and it wasn't even close.
so either auto z is still fun to drive i take it. Ive only been in a 6sp once a while back but its hard to remeber hwo hard it pulle or how fast it flet because im always in my bros supra which is a sick car for stock. I think he is goin throought he quarter at 108 at about 13.2. I just wanna no does the z feel as qucik as the magazine editors say.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:52 PM
hypeiv

Originally posted by 1sick350
so either auto z is still fun to drive i take it. Ive only been in a 6sp once a while back but its hard to remeber hwo hard it pulle or how fast it flet because im always in my bros supra which is a sick car for stock. I think he is goin throought he quarter at 108 at about 13.2. I just wanna no does the z feel as qucik as the magazine editors say.
Only way for you to know if its fast enough for you is to go give it a try. I normally go test drive at used car lots b/c they get you in the cars faster than at new car lots and don't care if you go for a 20 mile high speed test drive.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

The auto tranny they put in the Z is one of the best. It truly is as much as you could possibly hope to get from an automatic. It's still a VERY fast car.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:11 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by hypeiv

I ran a 13.90 bone stock with my auto Z. Couldve done a 13.8 if I didnt hit the rev limiter. I shifted the gears.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:33 PM
1sick350

Originally posted by JonsilvZ
I ran a 13.90 bone stock with my auto Z. Couldve done a 13.8 if I didnt hit the rev limiter. I shifted the gears.
Thats a pretty good dam run. The car def has a good amount of potential wheter its auto or manual. U pulled off tiems that the pros do at best witha manual. The best ive seen in a test was 13.8 at 101.6 so a few more modds i garauntee u can trap about the sam with even better times. I have been trying to decide which to get auto or manual. My brother says that i should get manual just becasue its more fun to drive a sports car in manual and he said when he raced an auto z and a manual one he said he noticed a pretty good difference between the two of them. He says auto is boring and he would never by an auto car. Im only turning 17 and dont no how to drive manual so ill prob get the auto. Ijsut dont wanna regret doing so.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:39 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

if you are wondering if you will regret getting an auto than you will regret it. even if the auto is better you will always wonder and be cursious.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Aggro_Al

Come on! What kind of brother to you got? Get your brother to teach you how to drive a manual. The only way you're going to know which one you like is to test drive both versions. If nobody will teach you how to drive a manual, the 5AT is still one of the best auto trannies on the market. Unless you go with with a $50k+ car you will be hard pressed to find an auto that performs as well as the 5AT. The next nearest in price sequential auto trannies with similar capabilities would be a Porsche Tiptronic S or a BMW SMGIII. The 5AT is as sophisticated as some of the exotics.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:44 PM
nitrous350

Talking

Check ou this ??

PLS. Give me congratulate upon my success in passing the 12s
Old 03-07-2005, 08:51 AM
zachcrosen

Default Re: beginning mods for auto Z

Originally posted by kaos1
This is the same route I originally planned on going. As you can see from my sig, I have a good bit of bolt-ons and not much more power than stock. I didnt do a baseline so I have nothing to compare to other than other people's Zs. IMO, I wouldnt worry about the bolt-ons and save up for the SC!! I already have about $2500 give or take on bolt-ons and installation costs. This is half what a Vortech costs. Bolt-ons are not worth it on this car. Go for the glory and get a SC.

Zach
Old 03-07-2005, 05:23 PM
black350

What’s with the sc idea? Why aren’t you guys supporting the idea of a turbo system? I remember hearing something about turbo’s liking auto's because you never have to let go of the gas to shift. Anybody?? Is it because of the price diff, cuz if it is then you should go check out the new single turbo kit's that are out...somebody explain!!

Aside from that, I suggest a valve body upgrade (faster shifts), new torque converter (better stall), and final gear ratio change (better hp usage). Finally, I also think you might want to look into a better suspension system (not that our car doesn’t have a good one as is), sways, and all that turning/breaking stuff...the reason being: what’s the point of having all that hp/torque if you cant have fun with it in the twisties??

Last edited by black350; 03-07-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
zachcrosen

Originally posted by black350
What’s with the sc idea? Why aren’t you guys supporting the idea of a turbo system? I remember hearing something about turbo’s liking auto's because you never have to let go of the gas to shift. Anybody?? Is it because of the price diff, cuz if it is then you should go check out the new single turbo kit's that are out...somebody explain!!
From what I have read, the SC is a ton more reliable and more safe than a TT. Since the single turbo systems are new, there is no historical data about the longevity or reliability of them. The price difference is also a lot more attractive with a SC.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:01 PM
black350

Originally posted by zachcrosen
From what I have read, the SC is a ton more reliable and more safe than a TT. Since the single turbo systems are new, there is no historical data about the longevity or reliability of them. The price difference is also a lot more attractive with a SC.
ic ic, what kind of sc do you think would be best?? Personally I think Ill be sticking with a tt system, but if I were to change my plans I think I’d go with the stillen sc, anybody agree??

if nobody wishes to reply I won’t mind, I in no way wish to “thread-jack.”
Old 03-08-2005, 03:25 AM
zachcrosen

Originally posted by black350
ic ic, what kind of sc do you think would be best?? Personally I think Ill be sticking with a tt system, but if I were to change my plans I think I’d go with the stillen sc, anybody agree??

if nobody wishes to reply I won’t mind, I in no way wish to “thread-jack.”
I plan on going with the Vortech SC. The HKS kit is the most conservative and reliable kit on the market from what I have read. I also wouldnt go with the Stillen kit because you have to buy a new hood.

I might go with a TT setup after everyone determines why the connecting rods keep snapping with turbos. There is a good thread started by APS in the F/I forums that has a theory of why rods are breaking due to oil starvation to the crank bearings I believe. Like, I said, once this problem has been diagnosed, I would consider a TT.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:21 PM
MySunset350Z

u want to go biggest bang for the buck. a lot of people are spending a ton of money on mods that get very little gains if any. an example would be high flow cats. bla. waste.

for an auto, u might want to look into beefing up the torque converter. supposed to be some major gains on getting that done. (1/4 mile numbers not hp and tq)

my auto ran a 12.6 in the quarter before getting my torque coverter mod done. been having some issues since so i havent been able to run it with the beefed up tc.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:27 PM
abstrakt

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
Bolt-ons are not worth it on this car. Go for the glory and get a SC.

Zach
Couldn't say it any better than that...check out my mods in my sig...Dyno'ed and got 241RWHP and 233 ft/lbs torque