Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

individual throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 09:26 AM
spdu4ia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default individual throttle bodies

Can Individual throttle bodies even be incorporated on the VQ motor? does anyone do it or is it even feeseable? i've seen it on a couple of different cars (mainly hondas, civics , s2000) just wondering if anyone had thought of the idea?

would be pretty diffucult with the throttle by wire and the MAF
Old 04-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Zexy

That would be interesting considering the throttle is electronic??

In the Honda world, ITBs can be a DIY but for our VQ motors? I think we better get a real good techincian/engineer on this one. I can just try to imagine the sound though!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:48 AM
jeffw

You'd need to create some electronics to make a servo or linear motor pretend to be the regular throttle. You also need a way to digitize angle/displacement measurements of the motor. The motor would then drive a common mechanical linkage coupled to all the throttles. I'm sure some ECU tuning would be necessary as well.

I suspect emulating the OE throttle might be difficult. I think it has all sorts of error checking built in to detect failure. You'd have to emulate accurately enough that an error condition is not triggered.
--
Jeff
Old 04-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spdu4ia
Can Individual throttle bodies even be incorporated on the VQ motor? does anyone do it or is it even feeseable? i've seen it on a couple of different cars (mainly hondas, civics , s2000) just wondering if anyone had thought of the idea?

would be pretty diffucult with the throttle by wire and the MAF
I have a pic saved at home with individuals on a VQ
Old 04-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Nano

Tommy Kaira had ITBs for 350z. Not sure if it was prototype or actual production,
Old 04-19-2005, 09:49 AM
002-M-P

That is unless you changed the car from drive-by wire to actually having a throttle cable. Mazzoo is doing this on his SSR TT motor with a custom single throttle body.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:05 AM
jeffw

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
That is unless you changed the car from drive-by wire to actually having a throttle cable. Mazzoo is doing this on his SSR TT motor with a custom single throttle body.
That requires a new ECU. I think a new ECU was used with the Tommy Kaira one also.
--
Jeff
Old 04-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Revsport

that would be very good for the Z. the only reason i can think that many woyuldnt do this is engine heat getting into the TB and the extreme noise would be deafening.

Lew
Old 04-19-2005, 11:44 AM
g356gear

Throttle bodies would require a full stand alone engine management system.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:30 PM
jeffw

Originally Posted by g356gear

I don't think that a stand alone ECU is a guaranteed requirement. You could have the ITBs go into a plenum with the stock MAF upstream. Maybe a plenum similar to Kinetix's new one? You'd have more air flow resistance than if each runner had it's own air filter like is normally seen. However, you'd still get the benefits of instant throttle response (less air volume under vacuum). There are probably various delays in the stock ECU tuned for how long the plenum takes to change air pressure that would need to be changed, but TS might be able to find them.

Or you might be able to put one small MAF on one of the runners (assuming air flow is balanced between all runners). The MAF might be too close to engine heat to work right though...
--
Jeff
Old 04-19-2005, 12:39 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

you guys read my friggin mind!

Someone please make these!
Old 04-19-2005, 04:40 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by jeffw
I don't think that a stand alone ECU is a guaranteed requirement. You could have the ITBs go into a plenum with the stock MAF upstream. Maybe a plenum similar to Kinetix's new one? You'd have more air flow resistance than if each runner had it's own air filter like is normally seen. However, you'd still get the benefits of instant throttle response (less air volume under vacuum). There are probably various delays in the stock ECU tuned for how long the plenum takes to change air pressure that would need to be changed, but TS might be able to find them.

Or you might be able to put one small MAF on one of the runners (assuming air flow is balanced between all runners). The MAF might be too close to engine heat to work right though...
--
Jeff
By going to an intake tube with MAF and a plenum how is that any different from what we have now?? The idea of individual TB's is to have each open to the atmosphere to draw its own air supply. For that you need standalone.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:02 PM
nuttyprof

TODA racing was supposed to be making one. should be simliar to this:
http://www.todaracing.com/products/h...le_bodies.html
Old 04-19-2005, 05:21 PM
jeffw

By going to an intake tube with MAF and a plenum how is that any different from what we have now?? The idea of individual TB's is to have each open to the atmosphere to draw its own air supply. For that you need standalone.
Smaller volume downwind of the throttles will result in quicker throttle response. That's because you don't have to wait as long for the plenum to fill with air and stabilize with a certain flow rate. I agree though, that this is less than ideal.

There still might be the possibility of measuring air flow on one runner.
--
Jeff
Old 04-19-2005, 06:37 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well......I have some news for all of you!

There is a new manifold with individual throttle bodies in the final stages of development. It is designed for NA engines. It looks GREAT! Made in the USA. It has not been mentioned before. It will accept laughing gas. I can't say any more.....YET!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

"not a bad way to spend 10 grand" - Vin
Old 04-20-2005, 02:40 AM
nuttyprof

OOOH more info!!! ive been waiting for this mod for awhile, but nobody has it perfected yet. if only it cost <1000... that would be great.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:57 AM
Z350Lover

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
Well......I have some news for all of you!

There is a new manifold with individual throttle bodies in the final stages of development. It is designed for NA engines. It looks GREAT! Made in the USA. It has not been mentioned before. It will accept laughing gas. I can't say any more.....YET!
Please keep us posted on the updated news!!! I would like to see this happen as I was thinking about doing that along with my nismo engine conversion earlier... but I just couldn't wait for more R&D, so get the engine in to enjoy at the moment... That was why I spoke to one of the race engine developer who makes ITB for Ferrari racing cars with CF trumps.... and he told me that the cost of making out a system (bolt-on) would be around 3K to 4K AUD (5 set at one go)... but that does not include the tuning and the installation... and also... the stand alone ECU is NEEDED FOR SURE (according to him)... general piggy back cannot be able to support this type of modification, that's also the reason why I have the motec in the car at the first place....

So at least we get to know there is someone making that and hope it will be released soon!

cheers,

richie
Old 04-20-2005, 05:01 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A member on the board has already come up with ITB's...he should be releasing info as soon as he gets inventor status.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:40 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ITB's are awesome, but seem like more of a track only part to me

- sometimes they don't have air filters
- they're not going to suck in cold air without a hood scoop
- a vented hood or hood scoop would let rain enter the intake

Quick Reply: individual throttle bodies