Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 01:46 AM
Barzten1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waiting to get mine installed
Old 05-04-2005, 10:00 AM
enhanced250

instlalled the genric one off ebay works great and for a 1/3 of the price 45 shipped!!! try it out!!! no addtional vibration either best 45 bucks ive spent on the car so far
Old 07-16-2005, 06:16 AM
tcoraccio

I have just installed this kit and also found the bracket A to be alittle off, it didn't look like it was long enough for the two holes to match up with the power steering pump bracket and the TCC, I found a very easy fix for this.
I took a pair of vice grips on either end and bent this bracket A to straighten it out, just a little so that now it still retains its shape but is slightly longer, you don't have to go crazy on it just a slight bend on either side, and this lengthens the distance between the two holes, after that the bracket went in like butter and fit perfect.

As far as driving difference I drove it once last night and I could defenitaly feel the additional vibration in the acceleration pedal, this from the vibration of the engine being transmitted to the frame from the dampener, nothing I was too concerned about, The acceleration appeared to me to be emediate, there was no hesitation when I stepped on the gas, this was the biggest difference to me.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:52 PM
imoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any potential negative effects of installing this piece? Since you are now eliminating the natural movement of the engine, won't this put additional stress on the engine mounts, etc.?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Qbrozen

the universal one i clicked on said it requires welding??? Is this true? I have a welder, but I'll be damned if I'm taking it to my Z.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:33 AM
syf0n

As per a PM from 'socalsean', I went back into my engine bay and re-arranged that bracket I was previously having trouble with to correct the configuration. I have not had a chance to drive it yet, but I appreciate his reminder that I had not installed it properly and it was not as hard to get right this time as it was when I originally did the install -- the reason I originally ghetto-rigged it anyhow! Thanks, Sean
Old 08-04-2005, 09:40 PM
zrdude

Anyone know if under F/I this mount would be safe? Seems like 400rwhp/tq would cause huge stress on the motor mounts and the rest of the car?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:56 AM
BoostedConcepts

can you repost the pictures
im gettin ready to go start my install here in a few mins
thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 06:54 AM
Titan0385

Originally Posted by zrdude
Anyone know if under F/I this mount would be safe? Seems like 400rwhp/tq would cause huge stress on the motor mounts and the rest of the car?

I was about to ask the same thing. I have a Vortec Supercharger.. I guess there is only way to find out. I am going to order mine today. Once it is install, I will repost
Old 04-15-2006, 08:24 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Talk about digging this thread up from the grave
Old 04-15-2006, 01:04 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After buying the Stillen dampener about a year ago when it was on sale, I recently got around to installing it. Not the easiest install I've done but it only took me a little over an hour. If I hadn't dropped a couple bolts & my allen wrench, it would have been done in less than an hour. Didn't like how I couldn't use my allen socket though....not enough clearance. I guess a LONG allen socket would have helped.

Install b*tches aside, I noticed my JWT flywheel makes MUCH less noise at idle! My 350EVO short shifter buzzes a LOT less too! So, overall, I'm happy with it!

I also like how it's installed position puts engine torque directly through it, unlike most other's I've seen that will produce a lateral load on the dampener, like the e-bay unit pictured above.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:24 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Cool

FYI, to reduce the chattering noise from your tranny, raise your idle a little and it should be gone now with the aid of the torque rod.

Rev your engine to about 800 or 1000 at idle after its warm and see if it goes away. If it goes away then get your idle raised
Old 07-01-2006, 02:16 PM
thefastestz

Hmm...my engine is moving alot. I just installed Top speed headers and the steering rack u-joint and the header come into contact under right turn cornering....maybe this could stop the engine movement that is causing the contact.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:01 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to install the Stillen one in the morning. What sort of TOOLS do I need for the install?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:50 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tag.. Might be a good next mod. I am interested in finding out more about the accelleration aspect of this..
Old 07-06-2006, 06:00 AM
THE TECH

It is a pretty easy install aside from the tight spaces that require a bit of patience. All you need is a couple of sockets and a long allen wrench.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:31 PM
syf0n

Originally Posted by sq40
Tag.. Might be a good next mod. I am interested in finding out more about the accelleration aspect of this..
This is not something which will create noticeable extra acceleration. This is something which will smooth out the feel of the motor under hard acceleration or lateral force. If you buy this thinking it will make your car faster, you will feel ripped off by the time you install it.

If you want noticeable power in this price range, try a grounding kit or some other snake oil mods
Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by syf0n
This is not something which will create noticeable extra acceleration. This is something which will smooth out the feel of the motor under hard acceleration or lateral force. If you buy this thinking it will make your car faster, you will feel ripped off by the time you install it.
+1
Old 07-06-2006, 02:29 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by syf0n

If you want noticeable power in this price range, try a grounding kit or some other snake oil mods
Thanks..I Think...
Old 07-06-2006, 08:33 PM
FrickU

Good review...I Will probably end up investing in one of those

Quick Reply: Stillen Engine Dampener: Install and Review