Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery
View Poll Results: Has Your 350Z Shut-Down At High Speeds When Shifting Into Neutral?
Yes! I have at least an INTAKE.
13.64%
Uhhhm No! I have at least an INTAKE.
48.18%
Yes! I'm Stock.
7.27%
No! I'm Stock.
30.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Scary Moment The Other Night...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:22 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scary Moment The Other Night...

Okay...... Forgive me if this has been covered... But I damn near shyt a cat the other night when I was running with my friend (his 03' Vette) on the Tollway @ 120ish and I decided to go into neutral and noticed my rpm's drop along with the rest of my gauges! I was approaching my exit and low and behold... NO POWER, thus no power steering! Thinking fast, I depressed the clutch engaged 6th gear... 'Voilla... Power back on. Now I'm always underhood keeping my car meticulous inside and out, so my connections are all good. This certainly must have to do with my JWT? I reset my ECU regularly, so... What gives?

*NOTE* Keep in mind guys... TRIPPLE DIGITS! I have also shifted into neutral @ 80 I believe without incident.
Please indicate if you have experienced this, what MODS do/did you have at the time.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 05-02-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:02 PM
dan-14

is it really hard to turn the Z with no power stearing or something? i've driven a car without power stearing before and it was harder to stear but not unsafe.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:10 PM
ReavTek

I had this issue after I installed my new intake. My MAF wasn't re-installed perfectly the way it was stock, plus the hks filter popped off (damn that cheap plastic bolt) so after tighting everything back up and reseting the ECU I have no probs. Granted, I dont let the car drop revs in neutral at high speeds. I think the increase in air turbulence causes this stalling issue.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:12 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by dan-14
i've driven a car without power stearing before and it was harder to stear but not unsafe.
Same, it was only rather difficult when the car was not in motion... felt like I was going to snap the steering wheel off or something. But when the car was in motion, power steering was a rather negligible thing. Haven't experienced the same in the Z, but I think I'd shiz a cat too if the same happened to me at 120...

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 05-02-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:18 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Arrow

Originally Posted by yobri
Same, it was only rather difficult when the car was not in motion... felt like I was going to snap the steering wheel off or something. But when the car was in motion, power steering was a rather negligible thing. Haven't experienced the same in the Z, but I think I'd shiz a cat too if the same happened to me at 120...

Yeah, it was somewhat manageable, but significantly harder than w/ power assist! And keep in mind... I was already in the process of changing lanes to exit! No other vehicles around, as my friend was continuing up the tollway.
But everything appears to be tight and in order.
Think I'll start a poll on this...
Surely there is a definitive answer.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:35 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Should've downshifted instead of slapping it into neutral. I was told & also read this on the forum that putting it into neutral, especially at high speeds, somehow chokes up your engine (still trying to find out why). There is a thread somewhere that states this. Subject was something in the lines of engine stalling with the JWT Popcharger. Not sure if other intakes experienced this but it seems to be isolated to the JWT Popcharger. I have this intake as well & I've had no issues (knocks on wood). Already took it up a few times in the 3 digits with no problem but I made sure I never put it into neutral.

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 05-02-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:32 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dan-14
is it really hard to turn the Z with no power stearing or something? i've driven a car without power stearing before and it was harder to stear but not unsafe.
Yes, definately harder than turning a non-power steered 69 corvette for instance. I lost power steering while taking a turn ~40 once because of the idler pulley on my power steer side falling off. Was not a fun experience.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:57 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Arrow

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
Should've downshifted instead of slapping it into neutral. I was told & also read this on the forum that putting it into neutral, especially at high speeds, somehow chokes up your engine (still trying to find out why). There is a thread somewhere that states this. Subject was something in the lines of engine stalling with the JWT Popcharger. Not sure if other intakes experienced this but it seems to be isolated to the JWT Popcharger. I have this intake as well & I've had no issues (knocks on wood). Already took it up a few times in the 3 digits with no problem but I made sure I never put it into neutral.
Point taken. I would still like to know EXACTLY why this occurs? I have had MANY differnt cars at these speeds and coasted momentarily: Porcshe, Mustang, Vette, 3000GT VR4 that I can remember.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Road Warrior

why would you put the car into nuetral at 120....that can't be good for the tranny...still though, pretty weird
Old 05-03-2005, 11:16 AM
287HP

I have the pop-charger, and it happened to me a few times. When I am going above 40, I never put it in neutral.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:28 AM
sakred

so the more important question is did you beat the vett?? what happened to your cars no biggie its happened to me once or twice all i did was put the car in nuteral, clutch down and start it again. granted this wasnt a Z but its not that bad of a sittuation.

Hammad
Old 05-03-2005, 11:34 AM
southern_info

I have a JWT popcharger I haven't once reset my ECU and had no such problems what so ever. What do yall think my car is doing since I haven't reset my ECU? I can tell yall I have manage to pass the speed-limiter on my car with the JWT popcharger and had more to go. My stock air box had me stuck at the speed limiter 156. I'm just really intrigue if it would be wise of me to reset my ECU or Not.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:56 PM
zzzya

I seem to remember this topic come up quite a bit in the past related to the JWT popcharger.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:09 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

For all you modified (JWT) folks who replied No.... Are you saying that you indeed went into neutral at the speeds mentioned, and your car was fine? I find that shiz VERY hard to believe I'm the only one... The few of you who mentioned it had happened, didn't poll correctly.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Hmmmmmm? 5 of you are stock and this still happened! Guess it's a fluke of some sort.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:16 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
For all you modified (JWT) folks who replied No.... Are you saying that you indeed went into neutral at the speeds mentioned, and your car was fine? I find that shiz VERY hard to believe I'm the only one... The few of you who mentioned it had happened, didn't poll correctly.
I didn't select anything from your listing above since I DID NOT shift to neutral. What I understood from the above poll is that it's primarily for those who HAVE shifted to neutral.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:19 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Hmmmmmm? 5 of you are stock and this still happened! Guess it's a fluke of some sort.
Yeah. That is strange & scary at the same time. Do you think it's something to do with our ECU or MAF? Wonder if any of the FI guys or ECU Reflashed guys ever experienced this.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:23 PM
bullseye

The stalling issue aside for a moment... I'm not knocking you, I'm just suggesting you don't shift into neutral [and coast] at *any* speed. If you do, it's extremely difficult to match revs when you re-engage, unless you coast & brake all the way down to a stop. When you re-engage without matching revs, that's what's hard on the tranny. I second the motion to downshift rather than pop it into neutral. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:24 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

I would tend to think it's a combination of both. I'm gonna talk with my head mechanic guy at Nissan just for an additional opinion. Strange...
Old 05-03-2005, 03:29 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

The stalling issue aside for a moment... I'm not knocking you, I'm just suggesting you don't shift into neutral [and coast] at *any* speed. If you do, it's extremely difficult to match revs when you re-engage, unless you coast & brake all the way down to a stop. When you re-engage without matching revs, that's what's hard on the tranny. I second the motion to downshift rather than pop it into neutral. Good luck.
As I stated above earlier, the point was taken on this not being a "best practice". And I've been driving and racing long enough to know that. It still is a concern as to why the 350Z does this... No?

Quick Reply: Scary Moment The Other Night...