Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Monitoring A/F and Timing, any tools?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005 | 06:25 PM
zzzya

Default Monitoring A/F and Timing, any tools?

I have had issues with performance since my TS ECU reflash. Since I have the 5AT I am sort of out there as far as the level of modifications to both the engine in NA form and the drivetrain having the 6MT rear end and the Level Ten TC and VB upgrades. Since I don't have access to a dyno within 6 hours , I am looking into installing a wideband 02. The one thing I would really like as well is to be able to log timing. The 5AT does crazy things to the timing and without having both A/F and timing, I think I will be stuck when it comes to mail order ECU tuning. Does anyone have recommendations for A/F and timing monitoring. I have an 03 btw.

I am really considering just going to a Lspec flash but would still like to have a nice wideband 02 monitor to make sure I am not running too lean. I currently think I am running a little rich or the timing needs to be advanced a bit through the mid range and upper rpms, but would like some verification and the ability to monitor after a reflash. Thanks!!
Old 06-02-2005 | 04:46 PM
zzzya

No recommendations?? There seems to be a decent selection of wideband 02 gauges, anyone have any opinions? Also, I am considering replacing the HF cats with test pipes or resonated test pipes since Iowa has no testing requirements, anyone know of a company that sells them with an additional bung for an add-on 02 sensor?
Old 06-02-2005 | 04:55 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

sorry..just saw this thread.

You can log and view A/F ratios with several A/F gauges. My current favorite is the Innovate Motorsports Stand Alone gauge. They are $375 shipped, and they are .75 thick, and much nicer look and quality than the AEM, IMHO..and a little cheaper too. The digits are larger, and the gauge comes with software for datalogging to your laptop.

Here is a picture of two gauges installed on our car...one for each bank...overkill..maybe. But I am paranoid about loosing an injector..and having one bank go lean.

Here is the link to our website for more detail. My inventory will be in hand on Tues, FYI. And more on the way.

http://www.forgedinternals.com/store...cat=257&page=1

Old 06-02-2005 | 05:49 PM
zzzya

Thanks for the reply Sharif. I was hoping you would comment on this gauge as I saw it on your website and was very interested. I saw you have the UR test pipes as well, can they be purchased with an extra 02 bung welded in?
Old 06-03-2005 | 09:30 AM
maximumsportZ

What do you mean by performance issues?? After ECU reflash?

I have he same mods as you and the same flash, I have no so such issues, care to explain?
Old 06-03-2005 | 02:45 PM
zzzya

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
What do you mean by performance issues?? After ECU reflash?

I have he same mods as you and the same flash, I have no so such issues, care to explain?
Well, there are 4 differences between our cars that I see right away:

1. Injen CAI vs JWT Popcharger
2. TB
3. Cams
4. 5AT vs 6MT - there is a very big difference in timing between the two

I tried the 6MT Crawford flash first, but it didn't work. There simply are not as many highly modified NA 5AT cars out there and thus I have had issues getting the TS ECU reflash right for my car. The first flash I lost nearly a full second in the 1/4 mile, the second flash was not much better and the third flash brought me to within 0.2 tenths of were I was prior to the reflash. I have monitored temp, barometric pressure, car weight and compare all of my timeslips if the launch and shifting are good. (I do not have a dyno within reasonable driving distance to test the reflash results, so I use the drag strip as the 5AT is very consistent.) I did have an opportunity, after the second reflash, to get the car to a dyno because I had been traveling and found my A/F ratio was in the low 12s, so the third time I had them lean it out. (car made 274rwhp but the tq curve peaked very early and showed a steady decline with the lower A/F readings) The car is running ok, but it simply does not pull like it once did. At the moment, I do not want to get to crazy with ECU changes since I do not have any good monitoring tools or access to any. I am really considering going back to a stock flash. There is one other car nearly identical to mine in mods and he was able to take his car to AAM for a custom reflash on their dyno where it took quite some time to get it right. That may be worth a shot since our cars are so similar, but I am not sure I want to drop another $600 into ECU reflashing without some monitoring abilities again.

Last edited by zzzya; 06-03-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2005 | 05:42 PM
PANCHOVILLA

Hey Sharif whats the verdict on the ePOD ? any fitment issues.Is it possible to fit the DEFI D-gauge(boost) and EGT?
Old 06-04-2005 | 04:03 AM
zzzya

ANyone have any suggestions for monitoring timing? I know the Consult II will do this but that is not something I want to run out and buy unless they are reasonable on the used market
Old 06-04-2005 | 11:27 AM
booger

Any of the OBDII out there should be able to log timing . Mine does , It is a cheap one . But it does give you an idea of what going on with the timing . It also will do , short and long term fuel trims , intake temp , rpm , throttle position , and a few others i cant remember . Basicly every thing your ECU sees
I have a AT5 and I noticed my timing at WOT will drop to 23 degree's of advance and as rpm's rise , the timing advance tapers off to 20-21 degree's

Last edited by booger; 06-04-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-06-2005 | 10:27 AM
james840a

Im using the Blizt R-VIT multi meter, that plugges into the OBDII, I get about 20 different readings that the ECU gets, from Air intake temp, water temp, fuel temp, to name a few. I just installed it this pasts weekend and have not taken any pictures yet. But will tonight.

Its pretty cool.
Old 06-06-2005 | 11:30 AM
Phatmitzu

I have the Zeitronix. A/F, Lamba, Boost, and EGT. Datalog-able too.
Old 06-08-2005 | 12:12 PM
illZ

I too am looking for something to either monitor the '05 wideband setup, or to plug into the obdII..

I will look into the Blitz unit. Are there any others??

The LM-1 (innovative) Is an AWESOME product!! HIGHLY Recommended...

I just wasn't sure if I could just use the guages, as I have an '05.

thanks!
Old 06-08-2005 | 02:08 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hi,

Innovate is a great produce as its PLX wideband also. Both will work great for logging AFR and I would recommend you to pick up a Blitz Rvit for logging timing. The Rvit can log up to 99 sec of six different vital parameters.
Old 06-08-2005 | 03:20 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

I'm selling a brand new Zetronix ZT-2 with LCD screen, never used, brand new for $325 shipped

It'll show you A/F, lambda, EGT, and boost and datalog

Now that I'm for sure going FI, I want to go all out with individual gauges
Old 06-09-2005 | 05:06 PM
zzzya

Thanks for the great replies! I will be installing at least a wideband 02 sensor with data logging capabilities and hopefully decide on an OBDII device. I have also been in communication with Technosquare and gladly ended up having Tadashi look at the situation. He quickly saw that I had JWT cams and did not feel that they were addressed properly in my previous reflashes and had me send the ECU back in. I will be able to report this weekend. Just an FYI that I worked with Danny last year and he is no longer with them but I am not sure if it had anything to do with performance issues.
Old 06-10-2005 | 11:55 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Thanks for the reply Sharif. I was hoping you would comment on this gauge as I saw it on your website and was very interested. I saw you have the UR test pipes as well, can they be purchased with an extra 02 bung welded in?
Sorry..got behind on thise thread. I have the Helix test pipes. Most of them do not come with the extra bungs welded in...some brands do. It's about a 5 min drilling and welding job to install a new bung...any muffler shop can do this faster than you can say go!

Hey Sharif whats the verdict on the ePOD ? any fitment issues.Is it possible to fit the DEFI D-gauge(boost) and EGT?
The ePod is really aweful, which is why we wont be selling them. THe fitment poor, my super thin Innovate Gauges actually hit the steering wheel when I turn, and the 52mm guages fit too loosely, even with a rubber grommet inserted. Overall, its a horrible piece...and for $149, I doubt anyone would buy one.

The finish does match OEM plastic, so at least they got that part right.
Old 10-09-2005 | 06:59 PM
the7ferret

How do we get the a/f guage to read both o2 sensors and average it out, or do we need 1 gauge per bank?
Old 10-09-2005 | 07:11 PM
Zmego1985

I had Technosquare reflash my ecu 5 times and I finally gave up, and got a refund. My air fuel looked like a rollercoaster. So i just went to AAM and they fixed it perfect for me. A nice flat line afterwards. Put it this way AAM took 4 hours to get my reflash correct and this was on a dyno. So its even hard to tune this car on a dyno never mind the ecu out of the car. Dont get me wrong Technosquare is a good company, but sometimes you just cant get the ecu correct unless you have the car tuned on a dyno. Chris if i was you i would contact AAM and ask Mike if he has a saved reflash of my Z, and if he can download it into your ecu. We have almost the same mods except a few things so maybe my flash would work.