Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Just got some new Cams, Springs and Shims!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 03:14 PM
dch760

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got some new Cams, Springs and Shims!!!

Well I just picked up a set of JWT Cams, springs and shims. I was planning on getting these installed next week, however, I was thinking of getting them cryogenically treated. Since this kit will allow the engine to rev up to 7200rpms, after the reflash, without the fear of valve float I would figure that stronger and cooler internals would help at much higher RPM's. Anyone have any experience with cryo treatment?

Since I was doing all this I was thinking might as well change the valve train to the Nismo Titatium valves but will titanium valves really increase engine performance? I mean I know they are very light but also very $$$$ and I really don't know what to expect from that...quicker engine rev???
Attached Thumbnails Just got some new Cams, Springs and Shims!!!-cams-springs-and-shims.jpg   Just got some new Cams, Springs and Shims!!!-cams-springs-and-shims-2.jpg   Just got some new Cams, Springs and Shims!!!-cams-springs-and-shims-3.jpg  
Old 06-18-2005, 06:01 PM
UsafaRice

Originally Posted by dch760
Well I just picked up a set of JWT Cams, springs and shims. I was planning on getting these installed next week, however, I was thinking of getting them cryogenically treated. Since this kit will allow the engine to rev up to 7200rpms, after the reflash, without the fear of valve float I would figure that stronger and cooler internals would help at much higher RPM's. Anyone have any experience with cryo treatment?

Since I was doing all this I was thinking might as well change the valve train to the Nismo Titatium valves but will titanium valves really increase engine performance? I mean I know they are very light but also very $$$$ and I really don't know what to expect from that...quicker engine rev???
That would be the biggest benefit. They are also more durable (but any high quality normal ones are) and titanium doesn't conduct heat as well as steel, iron, or aluminum.

Please post a dyno, especially if you have one with a 7200 RPM redline.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:23 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought the nismo valves only work with the nismo heads??????

at least thats what it says here
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ine&prodid=921

Last edited by sentry65; 06-18-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:21 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seat pressure of the JWT springs is within factory spec for the stock ones. While I wouldnt feel unsafe at 7200rpm NA with those springs... I probably would have got the ferrea springs, they are almost twice as much seat pressure.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:17 AM
dch760

Your right sentry65...you can only use them with the Nismo heads, that sucks.

I should be getting these installed next week along with the new Kinetix Intake Manifold. I'll be getting the reflash after that so I probably won't have a dyno until mid July, as I need the car track ready by July 13th.

Hey phunk do you have a link to those springs?

Last edited by dch760; 06-19-2005 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:34 AM
MIAPLAYA

Heres a link to the whole package, springs, valves, etc... http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sgpracin...ra1mmovss.html
Old 06-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing...
Old 06-19-2005, 10:06 PM
dch760

That seems like a really nice kit. I still haven't installed anything so I could still go with something like this. The only thing is that it's a little pricy and if I do it there goes the gears & nismo lsd I was thinking of getting next.

I think I'm going to wait on the new valvetrain until I either need a new head, new bottom end or both, then I'll just change everything out at once. Plus after the cryo treatment I shouldn't have any problems with the springs. Thanks for that link though!
Old 06-20-2005, 03:20 AM
Z350Lover

I think you should be expecting the same power as what I have got with the mods that you have there!!! But just one thing... how would TS know what reflash would you need with the cams duration and the lifts that you have got now unless they have a reflash specifically for JWT cams mod and tested that before though, otherwise you might not be able to get the most HP out of these mods.... Good luck mate!

cheers,

richie
Old 06-20-2005, 06:57 AM
dch760

I'm not really sure how TS does it but I know it was done by JWT themselves. When I went down to pick up the cams and talked to one of the techs he said they had no problems with the reflash, of course this was after the springs and shims were installed. I guess they were having some problems with valve float with the stock springs @7200rpms. I'm sure if they were able to get their Z reflashed I shouldn't have a problem, plus if I need the specs from JWT I can always give them a call to see what they used for their reflash.

Z350Lover what sorta gains did you experience after your cams were installed?

Last edited by dch760; 06-20-2005 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:52 AM
MIAPLAYA

Just an FYI although I love my Nismo diff understand that it is LOUD and OBNOXIOUS until its properly broken in and you switch to some Redline 75W-90. Even then it still pops and snaps some times. Its not a big deal for me but for a lot of people its too much for a street car. If you want your car to drive and sound like stock you might consider spending a little extra and going with the Cusco RS diff. Its a little more as you will need to buy the seals, shims ,etc to make it work but its WAY quieter. The Nismo diff is essentially a Cusco MZ LSD.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:27 AM
dch760

Thanks for the tip bro I will keep it in mind. I don't really mind the noise, I have a JWT flywheel that can get pretty noisy during idle, then again that's with the windows down and stereo off.

I haven't looked up the Cusco but I have heard that it's essentially the Nismo LSD. Another one that has my eye at the moment is the OS Giken assembled with the 3.9 gears...but if I do that I want to be sure I don't want FI in the future.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:30 AM
MIAPLAYA

Thanks for the tip bro I will keep it in mind. I don't really mind the noise, I have a JWT flywheel that can get pretty noisy during idle, then again that's with the windows down and stereo off.

I haven't looked up the Cusco but I have heard that it's essentially the Nismo LSD. Another one that has my eye at the moment is the OS Giken assembled with the 3.9 gears...but if I do that I want to be sure I don't want FI in the future.
Trust me bro...the Nismo diff is WAYYYY louder then your JWT clutch and flywheel. Slow speed turns it pops and snaps loudly and generally makes people ask you if your car is broken. Mine did get MUCH better after switching to Redline diff fluid but it is still pretty obnoxious. Plus if you plan to road race your car I would also consider something else. The Nismo diff has a very unsettling push pull affect during high speed cornering. I am not much of a road racer and prefer to drift/drag over a road course. So this diff is perfect for me. If you do not have a Base model Z then I would honestly consider the Cusco RS, Quaife, or ATS carbon setup...
Old 06-20-2005, 08:47 AM
GregGSC

are you going to beable to before and after dyno test this setup?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 PM
dch760

It's going to be a little hard to get a before dyno. I called the only dyno place I know around here and they won't take me in until mid to late next week. I can do it but that means install won't start until the first week of July, which wouldn't be too good because I would have minimal time to drive and get used to the car before I'm at Fontana July 23rd.

If there is anyway I can get it on the dyno this week I will do it, if not, I will only have the after dyno graph, which probably won't mean much to many since I don't have a base to go off of.

Damn that loud huh I mean I don't mind some noise but I don't want the car to sound like it's falling apart. As you stated, I will be setting up my car for road racing so I will take a look at all the LSDs you noted...thanks a bunch for the tip bro you just saved me some $$$ on that Nismo LSD.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:15 PM
MIAPLAYA

It's going to be a little hard to get a before dyno. I called the only dyno place I know around here and they won't take me in until mid to late next week. I can do it but that means install won't start until the first week of July, which wouldn't be too good because I would have minimal time to drive and get used to the car before I'm at Fontana July 23rd.

If there is anyway I can get it on the dyno this week I will do it, if not, I will only have the after dyno graph, which probably won't mean much to many since I don't have a base to go off of.

Damn that loud huh I mean I don't mind some noise but I don't want the car to sound like it's falling apart. As you stated, I will be setting up my car for road racing so I will take a look at all the LSDs you noted...thanks a bunch for the tip bro you just saved me some $$$ on that Nismo LSD.
Yeah no worries man. Definitely the most raod race friendly is probably going to be the ATS carbon setup but that is MUCHO $$$$ I would consider the Quaife or Cusco RS. Also where in CA are you? I can recommend a good dyno shop that should be able to get you in but they are in Lake Elsinore.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:56 PM
dch760

No way there is a Dyno shop in Lake Elsinore?? I'm in Fallbrook so that's only about 30min away, which is the same distance from the other place I was thinking of going. Do you know if they work with the Unichip, since that's the P&P ECU I have? Then again, I don't really care since all I need is a few pulls to get some base numbers. What the name of the shop?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:00 PM
MIAPLAYA

No way there is a Dyno shop in Lake Elsinore?? I'm in Fallbrook so that's only about 30min away, which is the same distance from the other place I was thinking of going. Do you know if they work with the Unichip, since that's the P&P ECU I have? Then again, I don't really care since all I need is a few pulls to get some base numbers. What the name of the shop?
Yup Danzio Performance. Link to webpage... www.danzioperformance.com
Old 06-20-2005, 01:17 PM
dch760

Alright, I'm scheduled to see the dyno this Wed at 2pm. It works out because I won't be getting back the cams & springs from cryo treatment until then. I'll be dropping it off at the shop Wed as well so it should be completed by Thur of next week.

I'll post the dyno graphs once I get the Z back next week.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:21 PM
MIAPLAYA

Alright, I'm scheduled to see the dyno this Wed at 2pm. It works out because I won't be getting back the cams & springs from cryo treatment until then. I'll be dropping it off at the shop Wed as well so it should be completed by Thur of next week.

I'll post the dyno graphs once I get the Z back next week.
Nice glad they were able to get you in...

Quick Reply: Just got some new Cams, Springs and Shims!!!