Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ATS Carbon LSD/Drive Shaft Shop Axles: Finally, a detailed review!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John
I got a phone call yesterday that my car is ready. Since I still need to break in the diff, I left it at the shop, and I'll revisit it on Monday. The report back on the lash was just as Sharif stated... ZERO lash. Absolutely amazing for any product... it was a PERFECT fit, no shims needed whatsoever... ATS = bueno
Thats great to hear....dont get too sick doing the figure 8's for 15 mins.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:22 AM
John

Dirty work has been done... 30 minutes of 20mph figure 8s, and I received no citations from the police and vomited not once. Although I had to use the harnesses because I was tossing myself around too much. I dropped my car back off to have them flush the diff fluid later...

Initial impressions, just as Sharif reported, the ATS diff is extremely quiet. At very low speed transitions, the diff does toss around the power a bit, and it can be a bit choppy, but that's a clutch-type diff for you. Also, I rarely will be using it for low-speed turns, so who cares, right!? Once I get full on the throttle, the power transfers like an OEM diff would, but now it goes to the wheel that most needs it. Open up that steering wheel and zoom, the rockets off! Top notch product, and I can't wait to abuse it at VIR next weekend!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Dirty work has been done... 30 minutes of 20mph figure 8s, and I received no citations from the police and vomited not once. Although I had to use the harnesses because I was tossing myself around too much. I dropped my car back off to have them flush the diff fluid later...

Initial impressions, just as Sharif reported, the ATS diff is extremely quiet. At very low speed transitions, the diff does toss around the power a bit, and it can be a bit choppy, but that's a clutch-type diff for you. Also, I rarely will be using it for low-speed turns, so who cares, right!? Once I get full on the throttle, the power transfers like an OEM diff would, but now it goes to the wheel that most needs it. Open up that steering wheel and zoom, the rockets off! Top notch product, and I can't wait to abuse it at VIR next weekend!
Very nice! And it only gets quieter once you change out the break-in oil. Can't wait for the formal track review from our resident track instructor guru expert person.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Machupo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped off my car this morning... FINALLY getting the damn thing installed. Should have it back by Monday, then break it in next week. I'll provide a report / track review on Saturday evening from the track as I'll be on VIR North July 30 and 31. Hopefully there will be some Radicals there for me to chase...
John, wish i could be at the track with ya, but my baby is going into Sharif's care for the next three/four weeks (sneaky evil laugh... )
Old 07-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Machupo
John, wish i could be at the track with ya, but my baby is going into Sharif's care for the next three/four weeks (sneaky evil laugh... )
hehe.. I finally have all your parts out of my office, and now they are at the machine shop. It was a nice stack of very good looking parts, dont get me wrong...but I think they will be more useful inside your new short block.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:02 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sharif,

If you are still out there... I just blew my brand new Level5 axles on the track... 2nd run and BOOM... I was running 305 DR's with stock camber/toe. I guess it is possible I did not preload the clutch enough.. I was launching at about 5K and was pretty sure I pre-loaded the clutch... but SNAP went the driveline. It was HOT as heck out and the track was really supper sticky..

It looks like the inner CV exploded. Any ideas on how to address the problem? Has anyone ever discussed any upgrade for the inner CV joint? I would hate to have the Level5's and the ATS clutch be able to take such abuse only to have the CV joint explode on me as such power levels. My new engine will be drastically increasing my HP/trq.

Thanks,
--B
Old 05-29-2006, 05:58 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by BamBam
Sharif,

If you are still out there... I just blew my brand new Level5 axles on the track... 2nd run and BOOM... I was running 305 DR's with stock camber/toe. I guess it is possible I did not preload the clutch enough.. I was launching at about 5K and was pretty sure I pre-loaded the clutch... but SNAP went the driveline. It was HOT as heck out and the track was really supper sticky..

It looks like the inner CV exploded. Any ideas on how to address the problem? Has anyone ever discussed any upgrade for the inner CV joint? I would hate to have the Level5's and the ATS clutch be able to take such abuse only to have the CV joint explode on me as such power levels. My new engine will be drastically increasing my HP/trq.

Thanks,
--B
PM sent. Inner CV on the Level5's is already upgraded and really beefy. I was really surprised to hear this, as several people are racing at your power levels, with Level2's or even stock axles. There must have been a serious drive train shock, or the axles were defective from the start.

Have you had the car up on a lift to examine it?

I sent you a PM...but DSS will replace the broken axles under warranty.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:01 AM
MR RIZK

Has anyone noticed with the ATS that after a while the diff has a constant whine like it has a bad mesh? Went through all the steps involved like the bed in and fluid flush but after say about 5000 miles I have this whine. Not sure if it is the diff but sounds like it. Also it only happens under constant load ie: hold throttle at 40 mph
Old 05-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I mispoke. The inner CV on the Level5 is factory. The outer is upgraded. Performance Motorsports and others drag raced these stock inner CV's well past 600whp.

Either way, DSS will take care of you...call them on Tues.

Mr Rizk, I havent heard any unusual noises coming from my ATS clutch or diff. Have you changed your fluid recently?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:28 AM
BamBam

Sharif, got your PM and replied.

The axles themselves appeared to be OK (unless the splines inside the inner CV got stripped). Our guess, until the diff can be opened, is the inner CV exploded OR the diff just seized up. AAM will take it apart on Tuesday and let me know.
--B
Old 05-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by BamBam
Sharif, got your PM and replied.
--B
Right back at cha!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:38 AM
BamBam

Default Update

Alright guys, here is the skinny.

I blew apart the inner CV on the drivers side (left axle). It actually blew into about 10 pieces and tore up some of the splines on the axle itself. We are looking into whether o r not the axle needs to be replaced under the 1 year warranty. I have spoken to some guys at DriveshaftShop and while they say this setup has been proven on a # of 700 – 800 whp racing cars, all of the test platforms have been true race cars, IE lightened, with the average weight around 2500lbs and quite a few under 2,000 lbs. I am not sure if anyone has tested a high HP ‘Street’ car with DR’s slicks on a hot day.

As it sits now, not only does no one make an upgraded inner CV joint, but to replace the inner CV with another stock one, looks to require buying a new rear and pulling the CV joints. The thought now is to weld the axle to the inner CV therefore seriously reducing the chances it will implode from driveline shock.

I am awaiting a call back from Frank at DSS and hearing back from AAM on sourcing a new inner CV joint.

I hope to have some pictures soon to better explain the damages.

NOTE:
I want to make sure everyone understands under NORMAL use, there is nothing wrong with these axles. The Axles and the outer CV joint are heavily reinforced from DriveshaftShop. These are warranted for any damage and none of these parts have failed. The issue is with the inner CV, and as of right now no one makes an upgraded part for this. I have a strong suspicion the reason mine broke is due to the weight of my car (almost 3,800 lbs), the heat (85+ that day and almost 100 on the track at that time), and most importantly I was trying a new launching method for the DR’s and I can only guess I must have at least partially dumped the clutch.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
BamBam

Here is what happens when things go BOOM...

Just keep in mind this is not a part that comes from drivehsaft shop. The inner CV (which is what exploded) is stock.
Attached Thumbnails ATS Carbon LSD/Drive Shaft Shop Axles:  Finally, a detailed review!-brent-axle-01.jpg   ATS Carbon LSD/Drive Shaft Shop Axles:  Finally, a detailed review!-brent-axle-02.jpg   ATS Carbon LSD/Drive Shaft Shop Axles:  Finally, a detailed review!-brent-axle-04.jpg  
Old 05-30-2006, 03:03 PM
mchapman

At least its not the axles.