Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

stillen supercharger and final drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 07:54 PM
gunmetal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stillen supercharger and final drive

has anyone here in this community tried this combo?

i was thinking as always about FI last night and thought possibly this might be a good combo.

everyone always says that FI means much more power so the gear is not needed.

but.....the stillen kit isn't that much power and I'm thinking this might be a safe way (without having to build the motor up) to get some pretty good neck jerking response out of the Z.

of course I'm thinking some serious grip accomodations would need to be done and possibly rear axle upgrade.

??????? what do you guys think?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:03 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've been thinking the same about getting a vortech and keeping the hp tuned to around 350-360whp

I already have wide stick tires and LSD and will have a rollbar or rollcage in the back to hold down the rear tires a little more.

not sure though since no one here knows - everyone is really quick to jump and say it'll be a bad combo even though they've never tried it or know anyone who has

Someone did try the APS kit with the 3.9 gears and doing 400+ whp and said the 3.9 was horrible for that setup which I would guess it would be too.

The vortech doesn't have a lot of torque until around 4000rpm's.

The article in Speed magazine said the vortech car with 360whp and 275 toyo T1-R tires and no LSD had great traction. I wonder if you got wider 295's, better tires, and an LSD and 60lbs of rollbar in the rear if traction would still be good with the 3.9 gearing. Who knows. I think it might work in that case.

In the case of the stillen, I think it could work too if you don't have a really light clutch since the stillen has so much torque down low
Old 07-20-2005, 10:24 PM
ReavTek

I was under the impression that a Roots type blower, Stillen, made power in a very linear fashion. If so, the 3.9 should be fine to get you into your max HP levels faster. Of course you will need to address grip issues. If you are really serious about going FI I would just get the kit, see how well it suits your needs and then go from there. Alot of people on this board are into a pissing match when it comes to upgrades. Power is not everything, and a badly thrown together 400HP Turbo setup can easily be defeated by a very well thought out NA or SC Z. However, if you are the type that just wants to go straight and talk about how fast you can go down a road (yawn) then go crazy kid but don't get mad when the neighbor with the mustang posts better times with less money.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:15 AM
gunmetal

my neighbor has a 03 cobra running low 6 second 1/8 mile times

i won't get mad

just looking for a different approach and i like the idea of a linear powerband (factory z)

mated with a linear power-adder

also, i just thought the gear might add to that, and yes grip accomodations would be key.

this Z would jerk your neck I'm theorizing.