Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Brand New Stop Tech Brake Info

Old 12-17-2002, 05:31 PM
CanAmBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailed stopping data

Here is the detailed data from the StopTech brake tests done at Camarrillo airport on 12-11-02 after our engineering department analyzed the test data.

We tested 350Z Performance and track models with the 040 tires. We removed the performance model brakes and installed the StopTech 13.1 inch kit on the performance model and repeated the tests. Stopping distances are in feet.

-------Peformance mdl ---- Track mdl -----StopTech 13.1

60-0 av---------118-----------117.28----------115.83

best stp---------116----------114.32----------113.67

80-0 av---------210.47--------208.72---------206.74

best------------207.28--------204.89----------203.92

100-0 av--------333.57--------328.30---------326.87

best-------------329.97--------325.35---------325.63

Front rotor temperatures (F) after a short series of 100-0 stops

performance model---804
track model-------------721
Stoptech 13.1----------695
StopTech 14------------594

The 14 inch kit had identical average stopping distance to the 13.1 kit, but lower rotor temperatures.
My appologies to the board for jumping the gun prior to getting the detailed data.

Bob Lee
StopTech LLC
Old 12-17-2002, 05:51 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Default Re: Detailed stopping data

Originally posted by CanAmBob
Here is the detailed data from the StopTech brake tests done at Camarrillo airport on 12-11-02 after our engineering department analyzed the test data.

Bob Lee
StopTech LLC
hey bob,

do you think it would be any closer between 13.1 and the track model if the track model had similar pads to what you use...? my concern is whether either a $200 upgrade or a $2000 upgrade is worth the extra 1-2'...

i can say your pads are very low dust, and that would be worth $200 to me

also, i spoke with someone there today, and was able to order some SS brakelines.. i told him you should advertise them here, as many people are interested in them.

m
Old 12-18-2002, 06:34 AM
CanAmBob

Default track model upgrade

do you think it would be any closer between 13.1 and the track model if the track model had similar pads to what you use...? my concern is whether either a $200 upgrade or a $2000 upgrade is worth the extra 1-2'...

I don't believe the difference was just pads. We ran the AXXIS Ultimate in our tests. The Track model has good pads. We did have the advantage of stainless steel lines. If I owned the track model I would first upgrade the lines and make sure to run a race fluid like Motul RBF 600. StopTech is saying that if you have the touring, or performance models our front 13.1 upgrade will put you on a par with the track model in braking for less than 2K.

also, i spoke with someone there today, and was able to order some SS brakelines.. i told him you should advertise them here, as many people are interested in them.
m

We offer Stainless steel lines for the track model and I will make sure our web site is updated to show this option.

Bob Lee
StopTech LLC
Old 12-18-2002, 07:17 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Default Re: track model upgrade

Originally posted by CanAmBob

I don't believe the difference was just pads. We ran the AXXIS Ultimate in our tests. The Track model has good pads. We did have the advantage of stainless steel lines. If I owned the track model I would first upgrade the lines and make sure to run a race fluid like Motul RBF 600.
do you have sizings of the axxis pads for the track? i would love to go ahead and get pads, lines, and fluid done all at once.

michael
Old 12-18-2002, 10:21 AM
J Ritt

Thumbs up

Bob,
Glad to have you aboard!

Guys,
I'll throw in my $0.02 here. Bob is a stand-up guy. I think his last post shows a bit of this...not ramming product down anyone's throat, just giving the facts. I've been discussing the 350Z kit with him since this time last year. They've been working on this project for a while. He and his staff are very knowledgeable and straightforward, and their products are a great value. Everyone that I've talked to at various track events and autoX's with the StopTech kits have been completely satisified, and the company's sucess in racing speaks for itself. If I decide to track my car (I'm currently looking into Kart racing), I will definitely be buying one of their kits. Two thumbs up for a great product and customer service...a tough combo to come by.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:53 PM
DZeckhausen

I had the good fortune to be in California as a guest of StopTech during the
350Z testing. I'm a StopTech dealer in NJ, primarily focused on the BMW, Mercedes,
and Audi markets, but I was eager to get out there and see firsthand what was involved
in the brake testing. I've also done some consulting work for StopTech, so I agreed to
come out, lend a hand during the testing, and write up the installation manual for
the 350Z.

I must say, I was VERY impressed by the 350Z's handling. Not since my 1993 Mazda
RX-7 Twin Turbo have I driven a car that is so tight and crisp. All those interior-space
robbing braces do have a big impact on chassis stiffness and it shows.

It's late on the east coast and I'm headed for bed. But tomorrow, I'll write up a
description of the day's testing and sprinkle it with photos I took. I've been involved
with Mov'it, Baer Racing, TCE, and Brembo brakes for years, but after what I learned
last week, I'm convinced that StopTech is really on to something by spending so much energy
on a balanced sysem. Once I describe the process of designing and testing a brake
system, I think it will be more clear.

In the meantime, here's a little tidbit. I took this photo during a brief lull in the testing while
the others were gathered around the 3rd test car and/or scarfing down some spicy chicken
drumsticks.