Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

European Z to have 300hp

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 05:23 PM
tkindred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European Z to have 300hp

I plan on moving out of the country so I was checking Z availability elswhere and found this.

"Under the bonnet, the convertible uses the same 287bhp 3.5-litre V6 engine as the coupé, but Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn says the car will only be available with a five-speed automatic gearbox. "Coupé versions will have a six-speed manual 'box, but this will not appear in the convertible
models," he confirmed. Meanwhile, a 300bhp 350Z for European markets only is rumoured to be in development, and will become the range flagship when it goes on sale in late 2003."

This is from "AutoExpress". I wonder what they will do to gain this power? Will those mods be available here?
Old 12-14-2002, 03:43 PM
nizl

is this a really old article? I read a really old one that said 300hp, but before the car evn came out.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:08 PM
tkindred

Default Full article, November 2002

Wednesday 6th November 2002

Nissan Goes For Soft Option On Z Cabrio

t looks as though Nissan has gone all soft! Plans to equip the convertible version of the 350Z with an electric folding hard-top have been axed, and the pictures in the current issue of Auto Express magazine prove it.

Exclusive spy shots in the current issue of Auto Express magazine - which have had the background removed and the car's windows blanked out to protect our sources - show the Japanese-spec version in the late stages of development testing. And it's not only the innovative roof that's got the chop in a round of cost-cutting. The open-air models won't get the im-proved brakes or six-speed manual gearbox that will be offered on the coupé when it hits UK roads next year.

Despite the lack of a retractable hard-top, the roof still promises to be refined and flush fitting, dropping into the bodywork at the push of a button in 15 seconds. It's not fully automatic - the driver has to release a latch in the cabin first - but the process is said to be easy to operate. The hood will disappear into a compartment at the top of the car's boot, although Nissan claims that luggage space will not be badly compromised by the mechanism. Lockable stowage bins to store small or valuable items will be provided behind the front seats. The firm refuses to confirm whether or not the soft-top 350Z is destined for the UK, claiming it will see how strong demand for the coupé is before making a decision. If that car proves to be a hit, expect the cabrio to reach British shores in the summer of 2004. The model goes on sale in Japan and the US next spring.

Under the bonnet, the convertible uses the same 287bhp 3.5-litre V6 engine as the coupé, but Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn says the car will only be available with a five-speed automatic gearbox. "Coupé versions will have a six-speed manual 'box, but this will not appear in the convertible
models," he confirmed. Meanwhile, a 300bhp 350Z for European markets only is rumoured to be in development, and will become the range flagship when it goes on sale in late 2003.

Also missing from the cabriolet will be the coupé's Brembo brakes, which were ditched by the firm's engineers on cost grounds. A Nissan insider said: "Adding Brembos would have taken the 350Z's retail price over acceptable levels. Even without the uprated brakes, the car is going to be more expensive than we hoped for."

In fact, the newcomer could cost as much as £30,000 when it goes on sale in Britain - slightly more expensive than the Audi TT Roadster, which will be the car's main rival. But the Z will be well equipped. Designed for the demands of the American market, where the 350Z is expected to notch up its best sales, the car will have leather trim, climate control and electric heated seats as standard, while options will include
18-inch alloy wheels as well as a sporty bodykit. Reductions in structural rigidity caused by removing the roof are compensated for by strong cross-bracing, while safety will be enhanced by driver, passenger and side airbags, anti-lock brakes and traction control. Peter Lyon

Comments: 0 Article from: Auto Express
Old 12-15-2002, 05:50 AM
rouxeny

What the heck? I thought the Z was developed specifically for the American market, ie. the cars were delivered here first, and Nissan expected to deliver most of them here.

If that's the case, why do the Europeans get a higher power version?

This would really suck if it turned out to be true.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:45 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by rouxeny
What the heck? I thought the Z was developed specifically for the American market, ie. the cars were delivered here first, and Nissan expected to deliver most of them here.

If that's the case, why do the Europeans get a higher power version?

This would really suck if it turned out to be true.
The only thing I can think of is emission? maybe Europe doesn't have the strict emission law?
Old 12-15-2002, 09:10 AM
kennytb

The dealer told me they were coming out with a twin turbo model next year,is this true ,or wishful thinking

ktb
Old 12-15-2002, 03:05 PM
crewe

Talking A Londoner's thoughts

I hope it's true!!!, and it certainly sounds possible. We don't have such strict emissions laws over here (remember we have TVR still producing new cars!!), and the sort of market the Z will be aimed at (at least here in the UK) is definitely the 'driver's car' types (like me ) for whom the more HP the better. We usually have much harder suspension set up's on cars here than the American versions. Our roads are twisty and hilly, and hardly anyone drives an automatic. It's a nation of drivers, in the real, fun sense of the word. Cruise control? Hardly anyone's heard of it. We have companies like TVR and Lotus making real driver's cars without a care for emissions and/or nanny state safety obligations, for example TVR's don't have airbags. So I think Nissan will definitely be making some changes to the US version, even if it's not a HP increase it will probably be stiffer suspension. On the other hand, I'm sure we will end up paying more than the equivalent of the US price.