Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Acetone in Fuel Increase MPG? Urban myth or fact?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 12:27 PM
SIX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Acetone in Fuel Increase MPG? Urban myth or fact?

I was just reading about increasing fuel Economy, wanted to run this by you guys see what you think

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm
Old 09-08-2005, 12:48 PM
dragonplayboy

geez, if it's bullsh*t then someone spent a rediculous amount of time writing all that!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:21 AM
dragonplayboy

I bought some acetone, i'll letcha know what happens!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TOLUENE is better than ACETONE

Q: Why do you think toluene is better than other types of octane boosters?

A: Several reasons:

Mindful of the evil reputation of octane boosters in general, toluene is a very safe choice because it is one of the main octane boosters used by oil companies in producing ordinary gasoline of all grades. Thus if toluene is indeed harmful to your engine as feared, your engine would have disintegrated long, long ago since ordinary pump gasoline can contain as much as 50% aromatic hydrocarbons.

Toluene is a pure hydrocarbon (C7H8). i.e. it contains only hydrogen and carbon atoms. It belongs to a particular category of hydrocarbons called aromatic hydrocarbons. Complete combustion of toluene yields CO2 and H2O. This fact ensures that the entire emission control system such as the catalyst and oxygen sensor of your car is unaffected. There are no metallic compounds (lead, magnesium etc), no nitro compounds and no oxygen atoms in toluene. It is made up of exactly the same ingredients as ordinary gasoline. In fact it is one of the main ingredients of gasoline.

Toluene has a RON octane rating of 121 and a MON rating of 107, leading to a (R+M)/2 rating of 114. (R+M)/2 is how ordinary fuels are rated in the US. Note that toluene has a sensitivity rating of 121-107=14. This compares favorably with alcohols which have sensitivities in the 20-30 range. The more sensitive a fuel is the more its performance degrades under load. Toluene's low sensitivity means that it is an excellent fuel for a heavily loaded engine.

Toluene is denser than ordinary gasoline (0.87 g/mL vs. 0.72-0.74) and contains more energy per unit volume. Thus combustion of toluene leads to more energy being liberated and thus more power generated. This is in contrast to oxygenated octane boosters like ethanol or MTBE which contain less energy per unit volume compared to gasoline. The higher heating value of toluene also means that the exhaust gases contain more kinetic energy, which in turn means that there is more energy to drive turbocharger vanes. In practical terms this is experienced as a faster onset of turbo boost.

Chevron's published composition of 100 octane aviation fuel shows that toluene comprises up to 14% alone and is the predominant aromatic hydrocarbon. Unfortunately composition specifications for automotive gasoline is harder to pin down due to constantly changing requirements.

Chevron's web site also describes the problems of ethanol being used in gasoline.

MTBE was heavily touted as a clean additive several years ago, and became a key ingredient in reformulated gasoline that is sold in California. But recently new studies arose that showed that MTBE was far more toxic than previously imagined. Organizations such as oxybusters have formed around the country to eliminate the use of MTBE in gasoline and several states, including California have passed new laws to eventually outlaw MTBE.

Q: How much toluene should I use per tank of gas?

A: Octane ratings can be very easily calculated by simple averaging. For example, the tank of an Audi A4 1.8TQ is 15.6 gallons. Filling it with 14.6 gallons of 92 octane and 1 gallon of toluene (114 octane) will yield a fuel mix of:

(14.6 * 92) + (1 * 114) / 15.6 = 93.4

The Audi A4 1.8T is a good example of a car that has very high octane needs if it has been modified to produce more turbo boost. The base compression ratio of this car is a very high 9.5:1 and when an additional 1 bar (14.7 psi) of turbo boost is applied on top of it, the resulting effective compression ratio is way beyond what 92 or 93 octane fuel can ever hope to cope with. Most modified 1.8Ts running without octane enhancement are running with severely retarded ignition timing and boost.

Q: Will toluene damage my engine or other parts of my car?

A: A 5 or 10% increase in the aromatic content of gas will most likely be well within the refining specifications of gasoline defined by ASTM D4814, which specify an aromatic content of between 20% and 45%. What this means is that if the 92 octane gas that you started off with had an aromatic content of say 30% and you increased it by 10% to 40% you would still be left with a mix that meets the industry definition of gasoline. So the above question would amount to: "Will gasoline damage my engine or other parts of my car?"

Even in the unlikely event that the 92 octane gas has a aromatic content of 45% the resulting mix would still be within the bounds of gasoline sold in other countries.

Last edited by Mike Wazowski; 09-09-2005 at 09:34 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-09-2005, 09:58 AM
plumpzz

I did more research..apprantly that article is true. Weird. I'm an engineer and i'm going to go talk to my internal combustions professor on Monday about this...to see if its true. He may run some tests for me
Old 09-09-2005, 11:36 AM
002-M-P

I have heard toluene is the best, but have also heard of people boosting octane with xylene. I think SCC did a whole article in one of their recent issues of how to properly mix toluene for the octane your searching for.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:45 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toluene and others... why do you think they're better than acetone? This is not about boosting octane, this is about boosting gas mileage. I'd really like to hear your basis for saying that toluene is better than acetone... besides that you own stock in a company that makes toluene.