Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

polishing your oem plenum?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 10:35 PM
VeilsideZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polishing your oem plenum?

just wondering what it takes to DIY. approx time / tools & materials req?

i got the MD Spacer for performance aspect - just gotta clean up my plenum to match the shinnyness of the turbonetics =)
Old 09-13-2005, 02:55 AM
002-M-P

haven't done it to my Z plenum yet, but I did it to my RX7 plenum and involved that I thought it would be.

You need about every grit sandpaper known to man (not really but close 120 grit up to 1200 grit or something), conical dremel bits in an array of grits, polishing compound and a polishing wheel (would recommend using on a bench grinder because my hand held drill spun too slow), then alot of elbow grease.

I know its not exact, but its give the general idea of what is involved. Hopefully someone will reply with a link to a good how-to, cause a few good ones are floating around.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:56 AM
VeilsideZ33

damn - how long did it take you approximately? The $ I'll spend on materials / tools (don't own any good polishers or dremel bits) I might as well take it to a professional shop and get it done for liek $150-200...
Old 09-13-2005, 08:12 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 786 Posts

damn - how long did it take you approximately? The $ I'll spend on materials / tools (don't own any good polishers or dremel bits) I might as well take it to a professional shop and get it done for liek $150-200...

or buy the tools, youll have them for life. Thats what i do, when i need to work on my car i compare labor cost to tool cost. If i have the time/desire/skill ill normally buy the tools and do the work my self. its rewarding.

i wish there was a shop near me to polish my plenum
Old 09-13-2005, 08:47 AM
10secapsttz
Banned

Originally Posted by CUxtopher

or buy the tools, youll have them for life. Thats what i do, when i need to work on my car i compare labor cost to tool cost. If i have the time/desire/skill ill normally buy the tools and do the work my self. its rewarding.

i wish there was a shop near me to polish my plenum
Trust me on this one, the money yo will spend on tools and materials in addition to your time, is no where near worth getting it done for $150-$200...
Old 09-13-2005, 11:24 AM
002-M-P

personally it is nice to say you can do it, even though after you do it you never WANT to again (that doesn't mean you won't)...but the tool cost really isn't that expensive if you already have a dremel (everyone should have a rotary tool of some sort). I personally think 200 is alot to pay for polishing a plenum (granted at the going labor rates, for the time it takes that is cheap).

I say if you like to do stuff yourself and learn, do it...if you don't mind doing stuff yourself but don't really like it, still do it...but if you really don't think you possess either the skill or the patience to do it, pay for it.

this post really did get alot longer than anticipated
Old 09-13-2005, 01:35 PM
E K

It's not that hard. I started with a dremel and 80 grit flapwheel, then work your way to white polishing compound.

I got alot of stuff from caswellplating.com

Material cost is about $60, and I haven't even used 5% of the polishing bars.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:07 PM
002-M-P

looks good man, but the stock plenum would be a little bit harder...just a few more crevices where all those bolts go up top that would **** me off
Old 09-13-2005, 04:39 PM
10secapsttz
Banned

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
personally it is nice to say you can do it, even though after you do it you never WANT to again (that doesn't mean you won't)...but the tool cost really isn't that expensive if you already have a dremel (everyone should have a rotary tool of some sort). I personally think 200 is alot to pay for polishing a plenum (granted at the going labor rates, for the time it takes that is cheap).

I say if you like to do stuff yourself and learn, do it...if you don't mind doing stuff yourself but don't really like it, still do it...but if you really don't think you possess either the skill or the patience to do it, pay for it.

this post really did get alot longer than anticipated
A dremel does not cut it..We used an air die grinder and polishing wheels and clays..A nice wetsand in warm soapy water also helps.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:21 PM
VeilsideZ33

i just gotta quote fr 175 CDN to get the thing mirror shinny - do you guys think that's a fair price? i know it's nice to do a lot of that stuff your self but given I don't want a month worth of downtime just cause I'm polishing my plenum... + i dj 5night a week and a fulltme university student... i don't know if I want to go through the trouble with a potential risk of it not looking like a pro job.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:33 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

Originally Posted by VeilsideZ33
just wondering what it takes to DIY. approx time / tools & materials req?

i got the MD Spacer for performance aspect - just gotta clean up my plenum to match the shinnyness of the turbonetics =)
Here is my "polished" upper plenum with a stock one.

Last edited by DaveO; 04-17-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:05 PM
VeilsideZ33

DaveO, care to share some of the work gone into polishing it? =) thank ya!

i do have a few "rotating tools"... an "orbital buffer" and a frikkin electric screw driver / drill lol doubht those two will help me polish my plenum lol
Old 09-14-2005, 05:04 AM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by 10secapsttz
A dremel does not cut it..We used an air die grinder and polishing wheels and clays..A nice wetsand in warm soapy water also helps.
Of course a dremel alone does not cut it. When I polish I do 95% of it completely by hand. The only thing the dremel is for is those hard to reach places (like the offset hole spot on the top of the plenum).