Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Differential Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Redfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Oil Catch Can

Since my upgrade to 350EVO 3.9 final drive and Nismo LSD, during track events my diff has been spitting fluid out the breather tube and into the rear sub assembly where Nissan has it plumbed. Needless to say this is a real problem not only due to the fluid leaking all over the exhaust and everything else back there, it stinks like HELL. Without enough time to find a real catch can that will fit, I have improvised a temporary solution. I know it's a bit cheesy and is only meant to last a couple days of track use, however I think it will serve its purpose. Anyway what I used is a pint sized paint can and soldered two nipples into the lid and straped it onto the tow hook on the drivers side. Added two lenghts of hose onr e to the diff and the other up and over the exhaust behing the heat sheild and down the rear bumper. Didn't bother with a drain valve, I'll have to see if its needed. Here are a few pics of the installed unit.

breather exit tube

Last edited by Redfoot; 08-03-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds to me like you overfilled it to begin with......
Old 08-07-2005, 11:03 AM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem when I installed the KAAZ lsd. I bought the Nismo rear diff cooler & it seems to have worked.
The only problem with that can is that you can't see when it's full, It does look nice though. I was just going to use a small glass jar.

Ohh, & I love how the route of the oil after it spills out convieniently pours through the frame & right on the exhaust.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Looks like a workman type solution! Hope it helps!

There are some cheap oil catch cans constantly offered on E-Bay, if you think you will need a more permanent solution.

I don't understand why some people have this problem, and others with the same or similar set-ups don't. I think John had this same problem a while ago, with the OEM VLSD. I'm also running the Nismo LSD with the EVO 3.917, but I have the finned cover. I never had a problem before the switch, and "knock on wood", I haven't had an issue since the switch.

Ditto on the power steering fluid "boiling". I never had a problem, but many have.

See you at Grattan!
Old 08-07-2005, 01:38 PM
John

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
sounds to me like you overfilled it to begin with......
No, the rear end loves to puke out fluid at the track when it gets real hot...

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
I think John had this same problem a while ago, with the OEM VLSD.
I did with the POS OEM VLSD... since I've changed to the ATS carbon LSD w/ the finned diff cover, I haven't had any problems (much cooler back there now).
Old 08-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Redfoot

If it was overfilled it would puke it once and be done, it spit out the **** over the course of three entire track days. I wiped its' *** after every track session.

I emptied and refilled the diff with fresh fluid before hitting Gingerman for a two day event, the can has solved the immediate problem of spitting it all over the car, I don't know how much made it into the can but it didn't spit any out the end of the breather tube.

I will now search for or fabricate a permanant, properly mounted solution, complete with sight tubes and drain valves.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:09 AM
Redfoot

Just a quick up date on this fluid problem. The can was half full after the two days at Gingerman. Loosing a 1/2 pint of diff fluid in two days is a bit disturbing. A diff fluid cooler might be a better fix.