Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Headers and tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005 | 08:44 AM
billet350

Default Headers and tuning

hey guys i was wondering if i install dc-s headers, is it required to tune the car and quick question regarding z exhaust system

if i install headers, and then the downpips with resonators and leave it straight pipe aftrer that while that give me a bit of gain to my hp and tq. Also will that be too loud would i need to get a muffler bc of the headers??? How much power im i looking i gaining by doing this and if i get this tuned how much power after this.

and is there a way to tune the car with a separte programmer. LIke a chip or afc. The reason being if i wanted to take the car to the dealership i could lets say untune it... Or is there a log system in the ecu????

i know i might sound like a dumass lol but im learning small things at a time about Z's
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:41 AM
Badmonkey

The only way to tune your car is with an ECU flash from Technosquare or AAM or you buy an engine management piggyback ECU, like the Emanage Ultimate. Why would you want to de-tune it anyways? Hewaders and an exhaust system will not void your warranty unless they are absolutely the direct cause of the problem. You will want toadd a muffler to the system as I would suspect it to be loud and raspy. Check into a good true dual exhaust with test pipes, along with the headers you should see some good gains. You can then maximize your power by getting your ecu flashed or with the Emanage Ultimate.
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:50 AM
davidv

if i install headers, and then the downpips with resonators and leave it straight pipe

Headers and one resonator on each side and NO mufflers? Not only will it be loud, but most likely illegal: the exhaust must exit the car after the rear wheels.
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:51 AM
Badmonkey

It would stink, too!
Old 09-14-2005 | 10:21 AM
billet350

will i have been on stillins website and do u think they are a company better to serve me with headers then DC-s???? also how is the stillen exhaust? is it nice and kinda deep

so really doing headers, and exhaust work will only void exhaust warrenty? if so then damn, what do u think the best exhasust system would be with headers and test pipes or are the down pipes with the resonators better then the test pipes
Old 09-14-2005 | 10:48 AM
Badmonkey

Stillen makes good products, but they are pretty expensive. There is a set of Topspeed headers for sale in the classifieds forum for only $200 they are a good quality set. That is the ones that I bought. It depends on what your budget and goals are. Do fou plan on going FI in the future? I would go with a dual exhaust, Borla or Injen, test pipes, and the Topspeed headers. Just my opinion.
Old 09-14-2005 | 10:53 AM
billet350

also if i get the car tuned with the ECU flash from Technosquare or AAM.. Do i just get someone to install it and thats it???? not really a tuning expert, is it almost like a plug and play type deal

thanks for all the help
Old 09-14-2005 | 10:55 AM
billet350

im really jsut wanting to say N/A but with some bolt ons maybe some tuning. No F/I really planned yet
Old 09-14-2005 | 10:57 AM
Badmonkey

To flash the ecu, you need to remove your ecu from your car and mail it to them, they then flash it and send it back to you. You will be without a car during this process. You can also drive to AAM, they are in Gaithersburg MD, they can then do it for you while you wait.
Old 09-14-2005 | 11:07 AM
billet350

so i just tell them what mods i have and they flash it for me correct???

what if i add others mods later, will i have to resend it back out when i install them.... but like i said nothing F/I... also how much does it cost to reflash ur ecu
Old 09-14-2005 | 11:31 AM
zedman

I have the stillen dual exhaust along with their headers and kinetix high flow cats. The car is LOUD. It is a sort of deep sounding exhaust. People tell me it sounds exotic. Stillen products are pricey, but they are built well and you know this guy has been in the business with Nissan for many many years.
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:19 PM
Badmonkey

Originally Posted by billet350
so i just tell them what mods i have and they flash it for me correct???

what if i add others mods later, will i have to resend it back out when i install them.... but like i said nothing F/I... also how much does it cost to reflash ur ecu
The initial flash is about $600. If you want to flash it again, I think it only costs around $150. The flash gets you closer to a optimum tune for your mods. It also raises the rev limiter to 7100 rpm and allows for 100% throttle plate opening. It also gets rid of the top speed limiter if you are brave/stupid enough to test it out.
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:39 PM
billet350

Originally Posted by zedman
I have the stillen dual exhaust along with their headers and kinetix high flow cats. The car is LOUD. It is a sort of deep sounding exhaust. People tell me it sounds exotic. Stillen products are pricey, but they are built well and you know this guy has been in the business with Nissan for many many years.
do u have an idea of how much power u gained by doing this HP and Tq
also how much did u pay total and did u get ur ecu flashed after this

and Badmonkey uve been a great help to me man thanks alot but one more question lol.. with the rev limiter going to 7100 and not 6600 whats the gain of power. Thanks alot
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:48 PM
Badmonkey

The gain really depends on the car and setup. I think the flash alone with all that it does is good for abot 10-15 hp. The more mods that you add, the more you will see. The only way to know for sure is by doing a before and after dyno on your car.
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:52 PM
Badmonkey

The ecu flash is not 100% neccassary, but it will give you gains. I had the flash and added the Emanage Ultimate on top of that. That way I can tune my own car to my needs, no need for a re-flash as I add mods or change setups. There are more people with aftermarket exhaust setups that have not had the flash than have had it. They seem to be doing, OK. Bottom line is, I am not saying that you have to have the flash, but it will maximize your gains and give you the other features, as well.
Old 09-14-2005 | 08:18 PM
Z BOY

another consideration: sometimes a/m mods make you too lean. do a dyno to see if you are. otherwise, its prolly not needed.
Old 09-16-2005 | 06:03 AM
billet350

Originally Posted by Badmonkey
The only way to tune your car is with an ECU flash from Technosquare or AAM or you buy an engine management piggyback ECU, like the Emanage Ultimate. Why would you want to de-tune it anyways? Hewaders and an exhaust system will not void your warranty unless they are absolutely the direct cause of the problem. You will want toadd a muffler to the system as I would suspect it to be loud and raspy. Check into a good true dual exhaust with test pipes, along with the headers you should see some good gains. You can then maximize your power by getting your ecu flashed or with the Emanage Ultimate.
badmonkey i have a quick question why would I de-tune the car??? never said i would... i was talking about once i get all the items i need on the car, i was planning on doing some dyno tuning. How would that de-tune it??

thanks
Old 09-16-2005 | 06:10 AM
Badmonkey

I was referring to the first post where you ask about if you wanted to "untnue" it to go to the dealer, or something.
Old 09-16-2005 | 10:03 AM
billet350

no what i was saying is there a way for me to tune it without the dealership finding out. Lets say i need a new motor or tranny, i dont want them too know my ecu has been touched.

thanks