Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Water Injection on 350z

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 02:11 PM
robl45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll tell you what I don't enjoy and thats ignorant people talking when they know nothing about me. I am the same guy defending the electric supercharger and dynotests prove it work, and I talked to my friend about the physics aspect and it will indeed work. But hey, since its an electric fan, it couldn't possibly work in your book. Heck , according to you, I probably don't know how to type either, I must have someone typing for me. I do my own work on my cars and I do my own stereo work, because frankly people like you scare me.

Originally posted by racetested
Robl45 do you enjoy arguing? Like I said if you don't want to believe any of us then do a search on water cooling or call a manufacturer. Aren't you the same guy that is defending the electric S/C? My advice is don't touch anything and pay for work to be done by people that know what they are doing and talking about.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:18 PM
McDan

Look, the additional power you could make by condensing atmospheric air by using water injection is so minute you'd probably lose more acceleration due to the additional weight of the fluid resevoir. A car suffering from detonation/pre-ignition would see great benefit.. Just ask the Supra or Grand National guys. But on a N/A STOCK engine, you could even see less power due to less energy content in the total mixture. Even alcohol has less energy content than 91 octane (which has less energy content than 87 octane).

This is all very similar to reasons to or not to run race gas. If you converted to a turbo kit on the 350Z, the benefits of alcohol injection WOULD BE HUGE, possible 100hp or more since you could run more boost safely, especially with such a high compression ratio.

Dan
Old 12-27-2002, 01:05 AM
S12 driver

I don't think there will be any noticible gain by using water injection, because your does not detonate (knock), so even if cooler air goes into the cylinder, the ecm will not advance the timing anymore. but if you have a engine with 12:1 CR, you will see a gain with water injection. If you don't agree, go ahead and dyno you car with and without water injection, I think the maximun you can gain is 5hp. Let us know the result.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:42 AM
tim_n/a

Default My sympathy

Originally posted by robl45
I'll tell you what I don't enjoy and thats ignorant people talking when they know nothing about me. I am the same guy defending the electric supercharger and dynotests prove it work, and I talked to my friend about the physics aspect and it will indeed work. But hey, since its an electric fan, it couldn't possibly work in your book. Heck , according to you, I probably don't know how to type either, I must have someone typing for me. I do my own work on my cars and I do my own stereo work, because frankly people like you scare me.
[sign] ... lots people are ignorant. Many are afraid of new things while they are bold about old tech and willing to go extreme on those.
I have eRAM and I tried mist spray on an NA engine once and notice some gain. I have to admir that I am not so brave either, but I have faith about classic physics and just happen like to know how things work.

Maybe that's why I hold two US patents, the other two pending and one just about to start. They are not about cars (all work related), I admit, yet one thing in common is they require some thinking.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:24 AM
jeffw

I've read a few things about water injection over the last few months.

Here are some of the details I remember:

1.) you want to use high pressure injectors with a good deal of pressure. Any product you see that just uses windshield washer nozzles is just a gimmick. You need good atomization to see any benefit. That means $$$.

2.) You need to add alcohol to the water to make sure the water doesn't freeze. You get the added benefit of the alcohol's effect on octane.

3.) There is nothing incredibly novel about water injection. Gasoline fuel injection can cool your engine too esp. if you go rich. Many engines (and rockets) rely on their own fuel to cool certain working parts in the system. Water injection provides the potential to improve the efficiency of the engine (not have to go too rich or adjust spark timing). Basically, you're delaying the onset of engine knock.

4.) The companies that I've seen selling true water injection systems (not gimmicks) advertise primarily for turbo engines. That's not to say you won't see a small benefit on stock NA cars.

5.) Some engines have suffered from corrosion with water injection. I recall that some straight 6 Z owners (pre-300ZX era) have had problems with pitting in the intake manifold due to water injection. Go talk to the guys on ZCAR.com and I'm sure some can tell you all about it.

6.) if water injectors/water pumps run out of water and they keep trying to pump water, they will burn up. Get a water injection system with fail safes when water/alcohol runs out. You will probably also want your engine management system to be aware of whether or not the water injection system is working.

I personally will not be trying this mod anytime soon because I don't expect much gain on a NA car and I'm worried about pitting.

--
Jeff
Old 12-28-2002, 02:43 PM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice a substantial increase in power with my Mustang GT on a cold winter day (say 20 degrees) v. a hot summer day (90 degrees). BIG Difference in power. It's not so much that the cold makes more power as in the heat causes a greal deal of loss in power. There is no doubt about this. Whether water injection will make a difference, I don't know. But I do know that water injection has risks (e.g., rust).