Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

05 "High Rev" Motors.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 09:59 PM
thawk408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
thanks, i saw the other thread, and i gather you guessed correctly. not sure i want to bastardize my engine though, and possibly negate future upgrades from as yet to be released products under development, such as IMs, intakes, etc., which could stand to increase the top end hp.
It just depends on what you want I guess. I could feel the power incease in the midrange, but I could also feel the power decrease in the top end. The midrange felt good, but for me I loved how the engine screamed in the higher rpms so I put back on the original lower plenum.

Last edited by thawk408; 11-13-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v GTI Guy
Thankyou Hydrazine for the clarification you made, I now have a much gfreater understanding of the product. Now if I were to combinea CAI i.e. the Injen with this mod, would that help improve the peak # and lessen the dramatic drop off it has above 6.5k?
After seeing a pre/post dyno of an Injen intake I recommend staying away from them.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:13 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by racin
While I think the mod is a good one based on the entire curve, I think it is misleading to call it a 15 HP mod. Most people, who do not understand the 15 HP was picked up at a certain point in the dyno plot, will assume that they simply can now say that they make an additional 15 HP on top of their peak. To illustrate: If my car makes 240 peak HP on the dyno, I might buy this mod, expecting to see my WHP jump up to 255 at some point in the curve. I think this is a grey area that allows for misrepresentation. I'm not sure how you SHOULD represent it, only that it really can mislead a person who doesn't know better...

I think the thought process and the work done on this were very good, and the result is evident by the dyno plot. This is a great mod for just about anybody with the Rev-Up engine to do, unless you are somehow stuck on wanting to spin the engine higher, even though it actually equals less performance. The power curve difference is where the speed is at...
Racin,
Yes, I thought about this too and there is a simple solution. The new website will will have links to show several dyno plots of what it does, how much and where. This way there is no ambiguity.

I think the 15+HP rating is necessary. Even if it occurs in the upper midrange, there must be some kind of easily identifyable milestone in which a customer can guage performance by. If they install it while on the dyno I'm sure they will want to see that it can meet some kind of minimum requirement. 15+HP is a number the dyno operator can easily identify in the pre/post curve. And I'm cool with making it a specified requirement as long as the pre/post testing is scientifically controlled. I know it will do it because I've seen enough dynos to be comfortable with it. If for any reason it didn't make 15+ NA HP the customer can return it for a full refund.

So there will be dynos posted on the website to show the effect and make it clear on what they are getting, but probably more importantly there will be "Word of mouth" references. This will have more credibility than any dyno plot.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by thawk408
In modified do you mean that we didnt have his spacer? We used the 287hp motors lower plenum along with the Crawford upper plenum. MD was not telling anyone what the secret mod was and Doug thought he knew what it was, so we went and tested it out.
Hi Doug,

Nice to know you are following my threads and spending your time to reverse engineer my work.

If you have any outing or slaging to do, don't hide behind thawk, come on here and say it yourself.

If you don't have anything to say to me directly then MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

Old 11-14-2005, 08:18 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Hi Doug,

Nice to know you are following my threads and spending your time to reverse engineer my work.

If you have any outing or slaging to do, don't hide behind thawk, come on here and say it yourself.

i hear a callout!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 08:28 AM
thawk408

Hi Doug,

"We" as in him and I, since we did use MY car to test it on.
And I am not bashing you whatsoever. I am stating the facts about the mod. Whats wrong, you can't handle an independent dyno that is not biased towards you?

Last edited by thawk408; 11-14-2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:28 AM
racin

Racin,
Yes, I thought about this too and there is a simple solution. The new website will will have links to show several dyno plots of what it does, how much and where. This way there is no ambiguity.

I think the 15+HP rating is necessary. Even if it occurs in the upper midrange, there must be some kind of easily identifyable milestone in which a customer can guage performance by. If they install it while on the dyno I'm sure they will want to see that it can meet some kind of minimum requirement. 15+HP is a number the dyno operator can easily identify in the pre/post curve. And I'm cool with making it a specified requirement as long as the pre/post testing is scientifically controlled. I know it will do it because I've seen enough dynos to be comfortable with it. If for any reason it didn't make 15+ NA HP the customer can return it for a full refund.

So there will be dynos posted on the website to show the effect and make it clear on what they are getting, but probably more importantly there will be "Word of mouth" references. This will have more credibility than any dyno plot.
Perhaps a peak HP and TQ gain number could be called out at an approximate RPM for each figure. This would get rid of any confusion...

Oh, and come on, lets all keep this civil, guys... There's been some good discussion on this finding, and however the results appear (through a thick fog, in this case), it is good to see that there are things that can still be found to increase the performance significantly... I'd just prefer less drama.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by racin
Perhaps a peak HP and TQ gain number could be called out at an approximate RPM for each figure. This would get rid of any confusion...

Oh, and come on, lets all keep this civil, guys... There's been some good discussion on this finding, and however the results appear (through a thick fog, in this case), it is good to see that there are things that can still be found to increase the performance significantly... I'd just prefer less drama.
I agree... on both.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:53 AM
lowrider

Hi Doug,

I really was going to stay out of this mess that Hydrazine created, but gawd why attack Doug, when he has not uttered one word on this thread? Does he know thawk 408, yep he does. Was he aware of the mod, and the dyno, yep again. But, did he coment on it - A BIG NOPE The comments came from thawk, and only him. thawk has the right to express his opinions.

So, Mr. Hydrazine, what the heck is your problem

Doug is a gentlemen who would not stoop to the clandestine means you suggest he used to comment on your product. If he had something to say, he would say it. I have never seen a negative post from him about another vendor's product. Call and ask him his opinion on something, and he'll give it, but he has never attacked anyone. To suggest otherwise, is just foolish and stupid on your part.

Doug is the premier developer of Hi-Po Products for our cars, that just plain work. If they don't, he wont sell them. His customer service is second to none. Am I tooting his horn, You Bet. Does he know I'm doing this? He has no idea!

Now, my feelings - I for one, was seriously thinking of getting your cooling kit, whatever the heck it's called. We have talked on other threads before, and I never had anything negative to say about you. Now, you've succeeded in teeing me off, so that I will never ever consider a Motordyne Product. And, I certainly will give you negative press whenever I can.

You have been very unfair to a pioneer in the business your trying to crack. If you had something to say to Doug, There is always the PM, the phone, "E" Mail or whatever. Why didn't you try that, before making a fool of yourself.

As for me, I had to say what I had to say. I feel better now

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 11-15-2005 at 03:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:21 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by lowrider
I really was going to stay out of this mess that Hydrazine created, but gawd why attack Doug, when he has not uttered one word on this thread? Does he know thawk 408, yep he does. Was he aware of the mod, and the dyno, yep again. But, did he coment on it - A BIG NOPE The comments came from thawk, and only him. thawk has the right to express his opinions.

So, Mr. Hydrazine, what the heck is your problem

Doug is a gentlemen who would not stoop to the clandestine means you suggest he used to comment on your product. If he had something to say, he would say it. I have never seen a negative post from him about another vendor's product. Call and ask him his opinion on something, and he'll give it, but he has never attacked anyone. To suggest otherwise, is just foolish and stupid on your part.

Doug is the premier developer of Hi-Po Products for our cars, that just plain work. If they don't, he wont sell them. His customer service is second to none. Am I tooting his horn, You Bet. Does he know I'm doing this? He has no idea!

Now, my feelings - I for one, was seriously thinking of getting your cooling kit, whatever the heck it's called. We have talked on other threads before, and I never had anything negative to say about you. Now, you've succeeded in teeing me off, so that I will never ever consider a Motordyne Product. And, I certainly will give you negative press whenever I can.

You have been very unfair to a pioneer in the business your trying to crack. If you had something to say to Doug, There is always the PM, the phone, "E" Mail or whatever. Why didn't you try that, before making a fool of yourself.

As for me, I had to say what I had to say. I feel better now

Lou
Thank you Lowrider, and very nicely said. My intentions were never to make Motordyne lose business or to get a bad rep. All I wanted to do is give my experience and opinions with the mod from an unbiased point of view. While my version is not the exact same as Motordyne's, but it is close enough. I do really like and enjoy the mod for the increase HP and TQ in the midrange. If I could figure out anyway to regain the lose in top end, then this mod would certainly be on my car. Again, I never meant to start a war and I do thank Motordyne for his enthusiasm and passion for helping the Z community.

Last edited by thawk408; 11-15-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Doug has literally coached people on the phone on how to do his dirty work (and this is a verifiable fact you know all too well) Do I need to provide the link?
From what I've seen, only the people he has had some kind of transaction or business relationship will do the dirty work for him.

Lou you're a regular Crawford cheerleader. You've been trolling me for the longest time. When I said spacers worked on the 287HP engine you said they didn't. And then when I discovered spacers didn't work on the REVUP engine you said nothing... untill I talked about a new development (MREV) that actually worked very good on the REVUP engine. Then you fliped your tune. All of a sudden you say the regular plenum mods and spacers work on the 300HP engine. Are you saying this to protect Doug? Don't want to let his dirty little secret out?

When I found spacers didn't work on the REVUP engine I immediatly posted my results and never sold another spacer to a REVUP owner again. ANNOUNCEMENT: Motordyne Plenum Spacers do not work on the REVUP engine. ZIP, ZERO, NADA!!

Even when the Crawford boys come trolling on Motordyne related threads, I have always put honesty and integrity before profit.
Everybody here knows I have always under rated my product specs. And I have always posted the real results. See the dyno plots on my website. Most of which was made at dyno days with many independant observers present to oversee the testing. I have always been open with my results.

So when I say "MREV is quite possibly the single most effective NA bolt on available to the REVUP engine." I mean it.

And now that I developed a plenum mod that actually works on the REVUP engine Doug reacts. Could that be because he knows that his cast plenum doesn't work on the REVUP engine? You think he did his own rigorus dyno testing on a REVUP? Does it make on average a "Solid 17-20 HP at redline" on a REVUP engine?

What would it look like if Dougs cast plenum was scientifically dynod on a REVUP engine?... What if the MREV was dynod on that same REVUP engine with its results compared to the Crawford cast plenum results?

Could a lot of angry customers demand their money back?
That would be horrible to the profit margin!

So lets find out what the real truth is.

I'm down for a REVUP plenum mod shoot out. Are you Doug?

Motordyne MREV VS Crawford Cast Plenum

I'm ready any time.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug has literally coached people on the phone on how to do his dirty work (and this is a verifiable fact you know all too well) Do I need to provide the link?
From what I've seen, only the people he has had some kind of transaction or business relationship will do the dirty work for him.

Lou you're a regular Crawford cheerleader. You've been trolling me for the longest time. When I said spacers worked on the 287HP engine you said they didn't. And then when I discovered spacers didn't work on the REVUP engine you said nothing... untill I talked about a new development (MREV) that actually worked very good on the REVUP engine. Then you fliped your tune. All of a sudden you say the regular plenum mods and spacers work on the 300HP engine. Are you saying this to protect Doug? Don't want to let his dirty little secret out?

When I found spacers didn't work on the REVUP engine I immediatly posted my results and never sold another spacer to a REVUP owner again. ANNOUNCEMENT: Motordyne Plenum Spacers do not work on the REVUP engine. ZIP, ZERO, NADA!!

Even when the Crawford boys come trolling on Motordyne related threads, I have always put honesty and integrity before profit.
Everybody here knows I have always under rated my product specs. And I have always posted the real results. See the dyno plots on my website. Most of which was made at dyno days with many independant observers present to oversee the testing. I have always been open with my results.

So when I say "MREV is quite possibly the single most effective NA bolt on available to the REVUP engine." I mean it.

And now that I developed a plenum mod that actually works on the REVUP engine Doug reacts. Could that be because he knows that his cast plenum doesn't work on the REVUP engine? You think he did his own rigorus dyno testing on a REVUP? Does it make on average a "Solid 17-20 HP at redline" on a REVUP engine?

What would it look like if Dougs cast plenum was scientifically dynod on a REVUP engine?... What if the MREV was dynod on that same REVUP engine with its results compared to the Crawford cast plenum results?

I'm ready any time.

while i can appreciate both companies engineering skills and products that they have developed for the 350z community, i think that the way you are reacting to a few posts made by members here speaks volumes of your company. it may be true that your MREV mod does produce the horsepower you say, and it may be more than the other guys, but calling them out on an open forum, in my opinion is very unprofessional. you shouldn't openly defend your product and THEN go and attack a competitor. you should let the numbers do all the talking you need. let the nay-sayers have there cake. if you are correct in what you claim, you will win in the end when the dyno's are posted.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Acree
while i can appreciate both companies engineering skills and products that they have developed for the 350z community, i think that the way you are reacting to a few posts made by members here speaks volumes of your company. it may be true that your MREV mod does produce the horsepower you say, and it may be more than the other guys, but calling them out on an open forum, in my opinion is very unprofessional. you shouldn't openly defend your product and THEN go and attack a competitor. you should let the numbers do all the talking you need. let the nay-sayers have there cake. if you are correct in what you claim, you will win in the end when the dyno's are posted.
I just want to be left alone from the guys that work with Crawford. Nobody from any other manufacturer slags like these guys. And there is a lot of history to it that you may not be aware of.

EDIT: But you're right anyways. I'll do my best to ignore them.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 11-16-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:43 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Two great companies duking it out would be great to see. The gloves have been slapped across the face .. for the challenge .. let's see it.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:22 AM
Acree

I just want to be left alone from the guys that work with Crawford. Nobody from any other manufacturer slags like these guys. And there is a lot of history to it that you may not be aware of.

EDIT: But you're right anyways. I'll do my best to ignore them.

you are correct when you say history i am not aware of. i am sure i only know what has occured in this thread. but i believe it is wise to ignore them. if it makes any difference, depending on how my personal conversations go with a buddy of mine who has purchased your 5/16th kit and iso-thermal kit, i may be purchasing them myself. sounds good so far.

As far as you are concerned, what is the best thing i can do to gain maximum horsepower, but retain the stock strutbar for the 287 motor? i was thinking 5/16th spacer, but do you have anything else up your sleeves i should wait for?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 AM
TiPIACE

yeah i wanna see the MREV vs Crawford plenum

there is no possible way the Crawford plenum was tuned for the 300hp engine, that engine was still on the drawing board when Crawford designed their plenums
Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 AM
lowrider

:
Come On. As I said in my post, Doug had no idea I was going to write what I wrote. I do have a brain that is capable of personal thought. In your mind, all of Crawford's customers are puppets who react when he pulls the strings Could it possible be that his stuff actually works, and his customer service is second to none, and that breeds loyalty? Is the whole Crawford community really against you? Take a look at youself, and see who started this foolish business. As I said before, if your unhappy with Doug, for gosh sakes, call him. He does answer his own phone.

As far as you spacer goes, and the RevUp engine, I only have my personal experiences to go on.

Spacer - As I've said in threads before, a very stealth mod, that does correct the problem of leaness in the front two cylinders. However, IMO, It does not equalize the air flow, as the crawford or the APS plenum does. The front of the plenum is still lower than the rear. But, for those wanting the stealth look, it does work.

RevUp - I do not have a RevUp engine, but I've seen a dyno, (6 runs, 3 each) where that engine gained 6 HP (from 242 to 248). Looked like it worked to me. If you say it doesn't, well OK than.

The kit you developed for the RevUp is a very secretive thing. Does it work? I have no idea. But, for gosh sakes tell people what the heck it is. Some have figured it out, and I think I have an idea, but keeping it secret like this is plain silly in my eyes. If you have something to sell, let us see it for gosh sakes.

Trolling for you, I think I'm above that. In fact, I know I'm above that. But, I say what I believe, and I believe you unfairly attacked Crawford, and assumed all his customer's are out to get you. That's just plain silly. However, your posts on this forum have proven to be very unprofessional. You really ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Just as a point of reference, I'm no youngster, though I am still a kid at heart. I'm an executive in the Aerospace Industry and I'm 67 years old. Certainly old enough to think for myself.

Lou
Old 11-16-2005, 06:21 AM
jnkirk1974

Regardless of what bad blood exists between the Crawford and Motordyne parties, I personally own products from both and will continue to purchase from both.

I think the G/Z communities are better because of these two companies and their products.

I hate to see bitterness between the two, but this isn't uncommon in the world of business (I'm only ASSUMING that the bad blood is business related).
Old 11-16-2005, 07:29 AM
thawk408

I'm ready any time.
Why do you repeatively call Doug out on these forums. If you want to talk to him and b!itch about something why dont you call him. Maybe he doesn't have time to have a pissing contest on the internet?

And the crawford plenum does work on the Rev-up motor. I proved this back in May when I, yes thats right I, went and had it dynoed.

Blue = stock + crawford cast plenum
Red = stock

Here is the dyno:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43525011sJKGpr

Also, for reference sake, here is the dyno of the 287hp lower plenum(MREV) along with the crawford plenum. Even the plenum, which seems to better then the spacer since it made power, could not help the top end lose.

Green = mods in sig
Red = mods in sig + 287hp lower plenum
Blue = mods in sig + 287hp plenum + crawford TB

Dyno:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95582695GiVRUT

So, there is your contest. The only thing I don't have is the 287hp lower plenum + crawford plenum on a stock car. If I could do this I would, but I am not taking off my headers... . Like I am already stated and like others know, the 287hp lower plenum mod does add some good power in the midrange, but also has lose in the top end. The 287hp lower plenum does make the car feel real good and punchy in the midrange, but you can also feel the lose of top end. I guess it comes down to what you like more.

ALL RUNS WERE DONE ON A DYNOJET WITH SMOOTHING EFFECT OF 3.

Last edited by thawk408; 11-16-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by thawk408
Why do you repeatively call Doug out on these forums. If you want to talk to him and b!itch about something why dont you call him. Maybe he doesn't have time to have a pissing contest on the internet?

And the crawford plenum does work on the Rev-up motor. I proved this back in May when I, yes thats right I, went and had it dynoed.

Blue = stock + crawford cast plenum
Red = stock

Here is the dyno:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43525011sJKGpr

Also, for reference sake, here is the dyno of the 287hp lower plenum(MREV) along with the crawford plenum. Even the plenum, which seems to better then the spacer since it made power, could not help the top end lose.

Green = mods in sig
Red = mods in sig + 287hp lower plenum
Blue = mods in sig + 287hp plenum + crawford TB

Dyno:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95582695GiVRUT
I can't see the dyno's you posted from the links your provided.

Quick Reply: 05 "High Rev" Motors.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering