Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

05 "High Rev" Motors.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Klumzyee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 "High Rev" Motors.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Heres a little teazer for you guys - Especially the 2005 350z Track w/298HP motor

These are two 2005 G35 Coupes stock dyno after Tony from Motordyne Engineering got to them.

Below are two seperate cars on two different days. The before/after tests were all conducted in the same day within 3-4hours on the same dyno. enjoy

We'll start with my 05 Coupe =)

Now for the other

As you can see we lost some power in the last 200ish RPMs.. about 2-5HP.. But hows that for all that mid range power - where most of the driving including auto-x is done in..

For those of you that do not know what Motordyne is.. they're the company that just did a large group buy for plenum spacers with a cooling kit. And whats so special? These test were done on a 6MT G35 Coupe (AKA 2005 350z Track Model Motor)

- Mods please keep this thread in the 350 section as it is directed towards 350s and future 2006 track 350s. A seperate thread was created in G35Driver forums, thanks =)

Last edited by Klumzyee; 10-08-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

so the increase in HP is due to the motordyne spacer?
Old 10-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 786 Posts

2 things:
-its at the flywheel (says so on dyno) not w
-church - arnt they know for high numbers?
Old 10-09-2005, 03:08 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

good post, well done.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down

Yes this place is known for way high numbers, but in this case he has a "baseline" and an after mod dyno so it doesnt matter if it reads high or low but... You could have run dyno after dyno and posted the worst as stock and the best as the plenum spacer with cooling kit. I wouldnt believe anbody that sounds like they are promoting a website or a company like you are doing.

Do I think spacers make power? Yes, do I think they make 15 ft/lbs of TQ as we can see by your 05' dyno? Hell no, try selling this stuff to the newbs though they might believe you
Old 10-09-2005, 04:34 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This is rather confusing because I though Tony has posted that the spacers don't work on the '05 "Revup" motors. They already had a redesigned plenum so the problem of the front two cylinders being starved for air was essentially solved. That's what the spacer brings to the '03 and '04 engines.

You didn't actually say that a spacer was all that was added (or that one was even added). So are we to assume that Tony has come up with some other mods for the '05 Revup engines?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:36 PM
SekZee

i was just shopping for a spacer and as you know, i wanted to get motordyne...but...but...ehh... you killed it, Bert... =((..
Old 10-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by SekZee
i was just shopping for a spacer and as you know, i wanted to get motordyne...but...but...ehh... you killed it, Bert... =((..
I told you AAM and these spacers do make power. But not what this guy is claiming that is all. Im tired of worked over dyno's and fasle advertisements giving newbs or poor b@stards that dont do research a false sense of hope. I have many bolt-ons and I didnt even increase my TQ as much as what this guy is claiming a spacer and cooling kit alone will produce. I have dyno'd my car 5 different times! With different mods and I know first hand its not as easy to make power in the Z as some make it out to be. That is all

BTW why wouldnt the 300hp models benefit from a plenum or spacer? They "supposedly" have a better designed lower plenum, I believe the upper is the same as 287 models. That would mean that a plenum or spacer would help the 05's a little. I know a guy on here "thehawk" put a Crawford plenum on his 05' track and gained power.

Last edited by Alberto; 10-09-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
This is rather confusing because I though Tony has posted that the spacers don't work on the '05 "Revup" motors. They already had a redesigned plenum so the problem of the front two cylinders being starved for air was essentially solved. That's what the spacer brings to the '03 and '04 engines.

You didn't actually say that a spacer was all that was added (or that one was even added). So are we to assume that Tony has come up with some other mods for the '05 Revup engines?
+1 that's what I thought too.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Alberto.

A while back I performed a very scientifically controlled dyno test of the Motordyne 1/2" spacer on a REVUP engine and it did absolutely nothing. ZIP, ZERO, NADA... I even pulled several more runs just to make sure. Nothing...

I was quite disappointed. For days it left me wondering how can gains be made on this engine? I had ideas but they werent tested. So using a little unconventional and out of the box thinking I tried something different and it paid off.
BIGTIME!

This new NA REVUP mod is not what you might first think. And I'm sure you (and everyone) will be quite surprised when its released.

The Pre/Post results shown above are real. 5 NA REVUP cars dynod and all have the same gains within a reasonable degree of variation from car to car.
The gains from this mod are just disgustingly high. I've never seen this kind of gain from a single bolt on ever. But this is the real deal.

And yes, it's true that even if Dynapacks dyno relatively high, its the pre/post deltas that show what the mod does.

I am preferential to Dynapacks because of their very high repeatability. Taking the tire/roller interface friction coefficent variable out of the equation is one less variable to skew the results. I've seen the same car dynod a month later with nothing on the car changed and the results were absolutely identical. All plots layed right on top of eachother. That's repeatability.

BTW when you look at the above plots, what effect do you think this mod would have on:

1) the track?
2) the strip?
3) AutoX?
4) Daily driving?

I personally can't comment on how it feels on the butt dyno because I own a 2004.5. But all the REVUP guys who had one installed have all commented (paraphrase)

"Wow! this totaly changed my car!"
"Wow! My car has torque now! I can break my tires loose where I couldn't before!"
"This isn't even the same car!"

They all take it out for their first spin after installation on the dyno and all come back a few minutes later with a huge grin on their face.

I'm trying to arrange an independant dyno with some well known members on this board... I know the gains are huge and I wouldn't have believed it myself if I didn't personally dyno it multiple times and see the same results repeated over and over. And many people were at yesterdays dyno to see it in person.

I have all the electronic data from RICKDOGG's SoCal dyno day and will put it all into excel for detailed analysis. The absolute lowest gains I've seen from this mod is 15.819 HP.

Alex dynod yesterday and he had midrange gains as high as ~19 HP and 30TQ. That's unheard of for any kind of NA bolt on!

I will post the detailed results when I can get it all into Excel.

Everyone is welcome to flame away! That's OK. I expect it. Soon enough it will be commonly known that the Motordyne REVUP gains are real.

Tony

PS which vendor will be the first to try and copy it?
Pat!

Last edited by Hydrazine; 10-09-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Hi Alberto.

A while back I performed a very scientifically controlled dyno test of the Motordyne 1/2" spacer on a REVUP engine and it did absolutely nothing. ZIP, ZERO, NADA... I even pulled several more runs just to make sure. Nothing...

I was quite disappointed. For days it left me wondering how can gains be made on this engine? I had ideas but they werent tested. So using a little unconventional and out of the box thinking I tried it and it paid off. BIGTIME!

This new NA REVUP mod is not what you might first think. And I'm sure you (and everyone) will be quite surprised when its released.

The Pre/Post results shown above are real. 5 NA REVUP cars dynod and all have the same gains within a reasonable degree of variation from car to car.
The gains from this mod are just disgustingly high. I've never seen this kind of gain from a single bolt on ever. But this is the real deal.

And yes, it's true that even if Dynapacks dyno relatively high, its the pre/post deltas that show what the mod does.

I am preferential to Dynapacks because of their very high repeatability. Taking the tire/roller interface friction coefficent variable out of the equation is one less variable to skew the results. I've seen the same car dynod a month later with nothing on the car changed and the results were absolutely identical. All plots layed right on top of eachother. That's repeatability.

BTW when you look at the above plots, what effect do you think this mod would have on:

1) the track?
2) the strip?
3) AutoX?
4) Daily driving?

I personally can't comment on how it feels on the butt dyno because I own a 2004.5. But all the REVUP guys who had one installed have all commented (paraphrase)

"Wow! My car has torque now! I can break my tires loose where I couldn't before!"

They all take it out for their first spin after installation on the dyno and all come back a few minutes later with a huge grin on their face.

I'm trying to arrange an independant dyno with some well known members on this board... I know the gains are huge and I wouldn't have believed it myself if I didn't personally dyno it multiple times and see the same results repeated over and over. And many people were at yesterdays dyno to see it in person.

I have all the electronic data from RICKDOGG's SoCal dyno day and will put it all into excel for detailed analysis. The absolute lowest gains I've seen from this mod is 15.819 HP.

Alex dynod yesterday and he had midrange gains as high as ~19 HP and 30TQ. That's unheard of for any kind of NA bolt on!

I will post the detailed results when I can get it all into Excel.

Everyone is welcome to flame away! That's OK. I expect it. Soon enough it will be commonly known that the Motordyne REVUP gains are real.

Tony

PS which vendor will be the first to try and copy it?
Pat!

So can you explain in detail what you did different to get the gains you weren't getting before?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Diesel350
So can you explain in detail what you did different to get the gains you weren't getting before?
Let me prepare all the pictures and dynos and get it ready for the website and then I can.

This is going to be something!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:15 PM

so does this new secret mod only work on the high rev motors?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

No. I recently made another tweak to it to enhance the performance a little more. With the new enhancement I expect that it will work on regular motors too but with dimished results.

I havn't dynoed it on the 04 yet but I expect it should produce gains. I'll dyno it soon on a regular engine but this will predominantly be a REVUP mod.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:02 AM
babadudu

aww damn, first the spacer now this ?~
tony , you are draining my money like a SPONGE!

i hope it does nothing , zero to the regular engine ,
but at the same time , i hope it does ,too
maybe you can make a package so you can ship the spacer and the new parts at once so i don't have to pay for the shipping twice.~

subscribed.

Last edited by babadudu; 10-10-2005 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Tortuga

Smile

Yeah I agree with babadudu. Dangit, I just ordered my spacer and Iso Thermal kit too. I hope there are gains for the non-RevUp motor....and I'm sure I'll buy whatever it is. So hey Tony, in what price range will this mod be?...need to know how much to save.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Hydrazine

I'm trying to arrange an independant dyno with some well known members on this board..
I take other peoples comments with a grain of salt, these are usually the same over excited newbs who believe their intakes are the best thing out since sliced bread. I look forward to seeing your independant dyno's. I personally will not benefit or lose out if these work or not I have a slow 287 hp model But what I might try is running the 05' tracks lower plenum spacer....btw I wasnt flaming you or your product, I just dont like seeing these 20+ whp advertisements, like I said I have a lot of dyno and track experience with the Z, I would have to see it to believe that a spacer could produce such great gains, but I would love for you to prove me wrong.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:09 AM
mahont

Not sure if I believe this, but how much is the 1/2 inch spacer for the 350z?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Right on Alberto!

Yeah, I know how the stack up of mods typically don't add up linearly. Half the board would have over 300 HP if it did.

And like you said, there is a lot of unscientific dyno testing being done by many manufacturers. Some put in a lagitamet effort and some dont.

BTW the comments from two of the above quotes:

These two quotes are from experience drivers.
The first is from the dyno shop owner. Shawn Church at Church Automotive. I agree that most newbs could say that if you only cut their muffler off, but Shawn races semi-professional and when he told me it made a big difference, I take it as a reliable and experienced opinion.

The second is from another person who has been a muscle car tuner since the 70's. So I give him a lot of credibility too. If he says it changed his car, I won't discount it as noob talk.

I think what would make a good test is to take it to the strip with an experienced driver. Somebody who can get good times consistantly. Install it while at the track and do several more runs and take an average of all the pre/post 0-60's, ET's and trap speeds.

That would make the ultimate real world test.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by mahont
Not sure if I believe this, but how much is the 1/2 inch spacer for the 350z?
You don't want the 1/2" spacer on your Revup. I will explain the dyno results and what I found and the observations made shortly.

Quick Reply: 05 "High Rev" Motors.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering