Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Silancer cut.....Went to Dyno, Good Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 07:45 AM
webcarconnection

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Silancer cut.....Went to Dyno, Good Mod.

I remove my Sil. and wait 3 days to the Computer notice the Modification. My last visit to the Dyno the car Stock (K&N) put 244 HP 232 TQ 1st run and 246 HP 233 TQ.
With the mod went to 248.5 HP 235 TQ (two times) and the last one went 249 HP and 235.5 TQ. I'm very happy with this mod. it only cost $25.00 and gave the car 3 hp to the wheels. The sound of the car is more sporty and refine.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:37 AM
topeewala

when u say silencer , do u mean the premuffler ? the one right before the actual exhaust ?...and wherd you get it removed?
did they just add a pipe in its place or is it completely off?
Old 12-29-2002, 09:05 AM
topeewala

ahhhhh ic , thanks craig. y not get an injen. i havent put mine in yet.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:24 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm... I'd like clarification. It sure sounds like he's talking about the pre-silencer in the exhaust system. That would make alot more sense.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:34 AM
topeewala

yah id have to agree with mustgofastr

the conext dosent sound like the intake box
Old 12-29-2002, 01:17 PM
webcarconnection

YES... The Silencer of the muffler, I'm NOT the first to do it, but I think I'm the first to test it. Is after the Y pipe and before the Muffler. Yes I put a straigth pipe in there.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:25 PM
zogan

THANKS for doing that, I hope this end the debates of the Presilencer decreasing HP.
Attached Thumbnails Silancer cut.....Went to Dyno, Good Mod.-myz.jpg  
Old 12-29-2002, 01:46 PM
bhobson333

Default Re: Silancer cut.....Went to Dyno, Good Mod.

Originally posted by webcarconnection
I remove my Sil. and wait 3 days to the Computer notice the Modification. My last visit to the Dyno the car Stock (K&N) put 244 HP 232 TQ 1st run and 246 HP 233 TQ.
With the mod went to 248.5 HP 235 TQ (two times) and the last one went 249 HP and 235.5 TQ. I'm very happy with this mod. it only cost $25.00 and gave the car 3 hp to the wheels. The sound of the car is more sporty and refine.
Thanks for the post. I had my silencer removed a few weeks ago just for the increase in sound, and I love the change! I thought I felt a little improvement, a little freer acceleration, but that kind of thing can be very subjective. Thanks for taking the trouble to post the numbers.

Have you thought about a grounding kit? Eric1h & I got together yesterday & made kits for our cars; materials cost around $25 or less for both cars. It seems smoother, and it's a pretty easy mod if you know which end of a wrench to hold.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:50 PM
webcarconnection

Default Re: Re: Silancer cut.....Went to Dyno, Good Mod.

Originally posted by bhobson333
Thanks for the post. I had my silencer removed a few weeks ago just for the increase in sound, and I love the change! I thought I felt a little improvement, a little freer acceleration, but that kind of thing can be very subjective. Thanks for taking the trouble to post the numbers.

Have you thought about a grounding kit? Eric1h & I got together yesterday & made kits for our cars; materials cost around $25 or less for both cars. It seems smoother, and it's a pretty easy mod if you know which end of a wrench to hold.

I see a lot of post about grounding kits, Can you explain specific what is for? ...Thanks!
Old 12-29-2002, 02:23 PM
bhobson333

Default grounding kit

You would be best to do a search for "Grounding kit" in this forum; there's a LOT out there, including before & after graphs and pictures of the grounding points. I made a few posts recently that really boil down what to do.

Basically, you are massively improving the electrical ground of your engine. Stock, there's one or two little wires, you're running monster cable to several points. The idea is that the car's computer gets a very noisy data signal, especially at high revs, due to poor ground. You are improving the quality of the data the computer gets, allowing it to more precisely control your engine.

From what I understand this has been used in racing circles with proven results for years, and there are dyno proofs that it makes a difference. Butt-meter, it seems smoother, nothing dramatic, but it's cheap & easy and seems to make sense so why not?
Old 12-29-2002, 02:23 PM
N74DV

NOW WAY.... don't remove the pre-silencer...

I did it today... I welded a straight pipe in it's place.

Sounds like a high pitched tin can Civic exhaust.... uggghh

I welded the silencer back into place this afternoon.

The pre-silencer is really a resonator. It lowers the exhaust note. I now realize Nissan engineers did thier homework... plus.. the pre-silencer does not restrict exhaust flow anyway... I seriously doubt there are any gains to be had by it's removal.

If you like high pitched rice exhaust... go for it. it's just not my bag.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:52 PM
zogan

One of the Forums quoted that the grounding kit added .8-15 HP. Everyone that has done it thus far has enjoyed it, based off what I have read thus far.
HOGAR
Old 12-29-2002, 02:55 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by N74DV
If you like high pitched rice exhaust... go for it. it's just not my bag.
To some extend he's right. Not only is the exhaust sound louder with the resonator or pre-silencer removed, it's also somewhat sharper. Before I took off the resonator I never heard a "crackle" from the exhaust, now I do sometimes.

Funny thing is, the only time it seems a little unpleasant to my ear is when I'm sitting there with the car stopped in neutral, revving and listening to it. You get that crackling raspy snarl. When I'm driving it, I love the change. When you're getting on it, you really hear it, but in low revs it quiets down to nothing. As has also been posted by others here, it seems to smooth out some after it warms up. I think some people put the resonator back in immediately because they sit there reviing and listening, not really driving.

It is a matter of opinion, though. If you're unsure, it might be worth listening to and riding in a Z that has had it done before you put yours "under the knife". As N74DV indicates, though, one good thing about this mod is that it can be un-done if you don't like it.

I'm curious, N74DV, was it expensive or did it seem difficult to weld it back on? What did they do, put sleeves on each end of it?
Old 12-29-2002, 03:03 PM
Toronto350Z

My personal exprience after removing the pre-silencer is very positive. Sound little bit more louder with 'bong~ bong bong bong' sound It's no where sound cheap as Civic tin can exaust. It's more likely muscular sound. Most of my buddies agreed.

What I recommed is... since exaust sound is personal preferance, try it with yourself. It is a very cheap mod and easy to restore in future.

No regret.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:19 PM
chazzg

im trying to find out if i want to do this or not. can anybody post Wav or mp3s of the sound with/without? It a chep mod but i don't want to pay Twice if i dont like it..SOMEBODY HELP??????

Last edited by chazzg; 12-29-2002 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:41 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by chazzg
can anybody post Wav or mp3s of the sound with/without?
OK, I just took my digicam out and took a few movies. This is with the pre-silencer removed and both windows open.

Standard disclaimer: Microphones and media formats may distort the sound you hear. I am in no way responsible if you make this mod based on what you think you hear in these movies and then don't like it!

http://www.extremespeedonline.com/bh...s/MOV02781.MPG
http://www.extremespeedonline.com/bh...s/MOV02782.MPG
http://www.extremespeedonline.com/bh...s/MOV02783.MPG
Old 12-29-2002, 04:17 PM
N74DV

I'm curious, N74DV, was it expensive or did it seem difficult to weld it back on? What did they do, put sleeves on each end of it?
I did the mod myself. I have a MIG welder and all the tools needed to do this type of mod. Fortunately I'm only out the $4 the straight pipe cost. When I cut the resonator off I left enough pipe to weld back onto in case I didn't like it...
Old 12-29-2002, 05:13 PM
Stone Z

Thumbs up

OK, I just took my digicam out and took a few movies. This is with the pre-silencer removed and both windows open.

Sounds good to me....doesn't sound like a tin can whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Silancer cut.....Went to Dyno, Good Mod.