Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

DO NOT under any circumstance remove your pre-silencer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 02:19 PM
N74DV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO NOT under any circumstance remove your pre-silencer!!!

unless..... you want your Z to sound like those tin can fart Civic exhausts....

wow... I cut mine off today and welded on a straight pipe.... did a 10 mile drive to test it out... it sounds horrendous! sounds like those f'ed up civics and accords do... high pitched tin can sound.... ugggghhhh

closer inspection of the pre-silencer reveals why... turns out the pre-silencer would be better named a resonator. it does not restrict exhaust flow at all... it simply lowers the pitch of the exhaust note.

there are NO gains to be had by removing it .... other than a nasty ricer noise.

SO.... I spent another hour welding the resonator back into place....
Old 12-29-2002, 02:26 PM
2003z

so, is it a straight through, like a glass pack?
Old 12-29-2002, 02:36 PM
N74DV

yep... when you look through it you can see straight through. what it has are alot of small holes... about 1/4" diameter drilled in the pipe inside. the holes open up into the chamber effectively lowering the resonance of the system.

IMO in NEEDS to be there.... there is a point to it's existance.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:41 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:43 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I dont' want to sound like an AZZ, but I warned others with multiple post about not remove the pre-silenser unless you have heard the sound, etc...it's not for everyone.. I did the same, welded a pipe on there for $40, found out it lost some low end rumble and after 3000 it had a raspy sound, so I had it welded back for $30 next day... Learned my lesson with $70

If you do a search on the web, most of the sites states the pre-silenser (resonator) keeps the sound "tuned" to the right tone, since the exhaust wave hits the pipe and it's possible to make the higher raspy sound...
Old 12-29-2002, 02:55 PM
chazzg

Default Re: DO NOT under any circumstance remove your pre-silencer!!!

Originally posted by N74DV
unless..... you want your Z to sound like those tin can fart Civic exhausts....

wow... I cut mine off today and welded on a straight pipe.... did a 10 mile drive to test it out... it sounds horrendous! sounds like those f'ed up civics and accords do... high pitched tin can sound.... ugggghhhh

closer inspection of the pre-silencer reveals why... turns out the pre-silencer would be better named a resonator. it does not restrict exhaust flow at all... it simply lowers the pitch of the exhaust note.

there are NO gains to be had by removing it .... other than a nasty ricer noise.

SO.... I spent another hour welding the resonator back into place....

Thanks for The Info!!! I was going to do that this week but not now!! i guess i will just have to save up for another exhaust
Old 12-29-2002, 03:27 PM
Rizzness

That's kinda what I thought when I heard the sound files-- I would like a less restrictive exhaust, but with ~290 HP- I gotta have a little bit of a grumble!
ZZ
Old 12-29-2002, 04:09 PM
Wicked4u2c

I think it sounds awesome! Not only do I get many compliments from older people (NON RICE). I posted my sound clips up and a lot of people got it done right after, it doesn't sound Honda/Acura rice (4cyl). It sounds way more exotic IMO. But again, everyone has different tastes...
Old 12-29-2002, 04:13 PM
N74DV

yeah I guess...... probably the best thing would be for the people wo are considering having it done should see if they can hear one in perosn somewhere....

but... I still say once you get on it and get the revs over 4,000 that tin can sound definately is there...

not my style.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:20 PM
chazzg

Where are the Sound files?
Old 12-29-2002, 05:33 PM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by chazzg
Where are the Sound files?
I took them down from my FTP server but I will gladly E-mail them to you if you would like... Just E-mail me at Wicked4u2c@aol.com and I will get back with you..
Old 12-29-2002, 05:57 PM
chazzg

E-mail on the Way thanks
Old 12-29-2002, 10:40 PM
raceboy
Banned

OK, well if I am known for anything on here it's that I am a "rice hater!" LOL That being said, my racing buddy owns the muffler shop around the corner from my house. What the hell I thought, it'll be free and if I don't like it it can go right back. Took him all of 20 minutes to do and I have had it for about a week now. So in my rice hating opinion how does it sound? One word: AWESOME! To anyone that has ever been in a Ferrari, that is how it sounds. Very pipey and nothing ricey about it. A nice mechanical staccato. Not exactly Ferrari (it's only a 6 cylinder afterall) but a very nice emulation none the less. This is no 1.8 liter Honda motor. It's twice the dispacement and you can hear it!
Old 12-30-2002, 12:08 AM
Wicked4u2c

Nice said Raceboy! I just don't hear the Rice (4cyl) sound... If you ever been, like Raceboy said or heard a Ferrari. This is the most exact sound you can get! I would say 95%!! Close enough in my opinion... And to call it Rice is just like calling a Ferrari Rice in my opininon.. I have compared my sound clips with those of a F50 Ferrari and let me tell you pretty damn close!!! I love it and still stock look so no worries of getting pulled over!
Old 12-30-2002, 07:01 AM
N74DV

hmmmm... I'm not calling any of you liars but it sure sounded horrible to me... when accelerating hard and the revs go above about 3K there's this sharp tinny sound.

Maybe it's just mine that did it... hell if I know why..

I'd sure like to hear one of those Ferrari sounding Z's
Old 12-30-2002, 07:09 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by Apexi350z
I dont' want to sound like an AZZ, but I warned others with multiple post about not remove the pre-silenser unless you have heard the sound, etc...it's not for everyone.. I did the same, welded a pipe on there for $40, found out it lost some low end rumble and after 3000 it had a raspy sound, so I had it welded back for $30 next day... Learned my lesson with $70

If you do a search on the web, most of the sites states the pre-silenser (resonator) keeps the sound "tuned" to the right tone, since the exhaust wave hits the pipe and it's possible to make the higher raspy sound...
resonator keeps the sound tuned to the right decibels, not the right tones. They put it there so car corresponds to noise standards, not to tune exhaust so it pleases you.

Cut out mine and happy with it. Nothing similar with Civics, by the way.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:23 AM
N74DV

man... I really gotta dissagree with that one.. a resonator by definition does change frequency, whereas a muffler reduces decibles. If they were struggling to meet dB standards they would have to make the muffler larger, not add a resonator.

according to dictionary.com a resonator is:

A hollow chamber or cavity with dimensions chosen to permit internal resonant oscillation of electromagnetic or acoustical waves of specific frequencies.

----------------------------------
A muffler is:

A device that absorbs noise, especially one used with an internal-combustion engine
Old 12-30-2002, 07:46 AM
Vlad

man... I really gotta dissagree with that one.. a resonator by definition does change frequency, whereas a muffler reduces decibles. If they were struggling to meet dB standards they would have to make the muffler larger, not add a resonator.

according to dictionary.com a resonator is:

A hollow chamber or cavity with dimensions chosen to permit internal resonant oscillation of electromagnetic or acoustical waves of specific frequencies.

----------------------------------
A muffler is:

A device that absorbs noise, especially one used with an internal-combustion engine
So you saing, there is no way, resonator can lower dB? It always leaves dB exactly the same? Smells fishy.

And larger muffler isn't really a better option then two, sometimes different woriking on different principles.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:29 AM
N74DV

no... I'm not saying the resonator doesn't drop dB... of course it'll drop it a tad. I noticed the exhaust being louder when I removed mine.

My point was the resonator was engineered into the system to lower the note not to make the exhaust quieter.

Do you have the book Lust Then Love?

it mentions what it took Nissan to get just the sound they wanted.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:39 AM
Vlad

no... I'm not saying the resonator doesn't drop dB... of course it'll drop it a tad. I noticed the exhaust being louder when I removed mine.

My point was the resonator was engineered into the system to lower the note not to make the exhaust quieter.

Do you have the book Lust Then Love?

it mentions what it took Nissan to get just the sound they wanted.
I'm not saying that they lying, but you know all that book is a propganda, if you'll look at it independently.

And anyway, it seems that the way they wanted it, isn't going to fit everybody. Let's wait to see what way Nismo want it!

Quick Reply: DO NOT under any circumstance remove your pre-silencer!!!