Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Light weight flywheel and clutch owners, feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Mr_Q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light weight flywheel and clutch owners, feedback?

So how is daily driving for any of you out there with a light weight flywheel and clutch package?

I miss the quick rev'in spool up the light weight packages give you. That "track car" feeling. But I've never driven one day in and day out.

Negatives anyone?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:34 PM
djnc

i've heard it's tough to drive at really low speeds...like parking or backing up...that was from a BMW guy though...not sure about the Z, but I imagine it's similar
Old 10-31-2005, 12:37 PM
don collins

We have the Nismo lgtwgt flywhl, clutch, & cover...driven less then 100 miles and are having the stocker components put back on this week.

Want to buy the Nismo parts??

Overall....really liked the rev up, but my wife is mostly driving it now and she doesn't like it. It would at times make a little "cement mixer" sound in 2nd gear during certain rev ups; but to me not bad enough to worry about.

dc

dc
Old 10-31-2005, 12:51 PM
002-M-P

I have the JWT Flywheel and an RPS Max 6-Puck Clutch. As far as fast reving goes, its nothing really. The clutch on the other hand can be the tricky part. I have found the trick with my combo is to not try and hold a constant rpm and start from a stop, but rather blip the throttle a little as you release the clutch until you feel that sweet spot (very small sweet spot on puck clutches). Once you get used to it though, it will be hard to drive a stock clutch/flywheel Z.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:01 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,297 Likes on 898 Posts

I've got the Tilton flywheel and dual disc clutch setup. After a short period of adapting to the feel and touch, I find I prefer it as my daily driver combo! The Z feels quicker and more responsive.

Negatives? I'll have to save that for an in-depth technical article I'm planning for a future issue of Sport Z Magazine. It'll include how to 'drive around' those problems in the longterm, as well as pros and cons to this NA mod.

David Muramoto
Sport Z Magazine Motorsports Editor
Old 10-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Mr_Q

Originally Posted by dkmura
I've got the Tilton flywheel and dual disc clutch setup. After a short period of adapting to the feel and touch, I find I prefer it as my daily driver combo! The Z feels quicker and more responsive.

Negatives? I'll have to save that for an in-depth technical article I'm planning for a future issue of Sport Z Magazine. It'll include how to 'drive around' those problems in the longterm, as well as pros and cons to this NA mod.

David Muramoto
Sport Z Magazine Motorsports Editor
Ah ha, well cool. I will await that review then! (but seriously if anyone else wants to chime in please do!)
Old 10-31-2005, 03:29 PM
RedBird

How would this lightweight clutch and flywheel feel on an automatic?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr Q, the many drawback to the lightened clutch/flywheel approach is noise. Clutch flywheel combos like the RPS, JWT, ACT, ATS, etc...all have reasonable smooth engagement, and just a few hours of driving to get 100% used to the new feel. The revs feel so much lighter, and having driven stock flywheeled cars vs. my ATS 9.9lb flywheel, the difference is enormous, and the ability to accurately rev match on downshift is much easier.

If you are a "performance" enthusiast, you will find this a GREAT mod for both NA and FI applications. But if you want to maintain the stock feel and sound...then stick to the stock flywheel, and just upgrade the clutch disc/pressure plate.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:51 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by RedBird
How would this lightweight clutch and flywheel feel on an automatic?
they work great!! install is really tough though, taking atleast an hour. couldn't help myself
Old 10-31-2005, 07:22 PM
VegasZ35TH

I am happy to have made the move to change out my flywheel and clutch. The Nismo clutch requires more heel/toe action and wears on your leg if you're shifting alot, but I love it. Even as a daily driver I still like to have that little extra in my car.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Flywheels that work with OEM clutch and Clutches that work with OEM Flywheel and any combination are genearlly very easy to drive like stock...

The only ones that different from that that use an OEM size clutch are ACT 6 puck cerametallic clutch and NISMO 3 puck Cerametallic clutch disc's... These do not slip so engaugment must be quick and harsh...

Flywheel and clutch combinations that are easiest to drive (and reasonably priced)

NISMO Flywheel
JWT Flywheel
Fidanza Flywheel
Stillen Flywheel
UR Flywheel
Aasco Flywheel

Clutches that will work with the above flywheels...

NISMO Clutch
JWT Clutch
ACT Clutch
Centerforce

Next level up... Flywheel & Clutch Package...

Exedy Hyper Carbon Clutch: This is a lightweight flywheel and clutch combination... This clutch can handle anything you put at it... Will last you the life of your car if you can drive properlly... When cold, the clutch disc slips a little bit, since it is carbon... once it gets warmed up... it grams very nicely! Good pedal feel too...

There is ATS & RPS as Sharif mentioned above...

There is also Os Giken has a multi disc set up for the VQ35 I always gawk over at my friends shop... No first hand experience with this... its a fairly heavy set up though...

The one that everyone runs away from but is also the lightest and lowest moment of inertia is the Tilton... The Full Street set up is streetable if you know how to drive it... it uses a 8lbs flywheel and 8lbs 2 disc clutch that is only 7.25" in diameter... RPMS raise up as fast as you can think of as well as drop back... You have to be really quick to drive it smootly...

All of the flywheel and clutch set ups are going to "chatter" 90% of the people who hear it in person say "Thats what everyone is whining about?" and a few people say "thats anoying, but I can live with that"

The only time it is heard is at idle some times (it depends on the day, weather, distance of mars from the earth, or how many cat prints are on your windshield)...

The only time you hear it when you are driving is when accelerating in gear below 2350-2700 RPM (depending on setup, the lighter, the higher the RPM's must be before accelerating)...

If driving in gear just crusing at 2000 RPM , as long as you do not punch the throttle to accelerate even the littlest amount, you will hear the chatter...

The solution? Drive in a higher RPM! Example... when going 60MPH, dont drive in 6th, drop down to 5th...

Alot of 350Z Flywheel and clutch set ups can be found here...

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...02_153_175_372
Old 11-01-2005, 04:44 AM
neffster

JWT Clutch and JWT 14 lb. flywheel just installed.

I LOVE IT! I've stalled twice in the first 5 minutes of driving. After that, I learned that the clutch engagement point is 1" off of the floor. Just tap the throttle and you're off.

Also, I cannot hear ANYTHING from this mod. No cement mixer sound, nothing. Maybe it's the fact that the S/C is louder than the flywheel, not sure (and I have a BOV filter so when under vacuum it is quieter than normal). One thing I know for sure... my mod recommendations in order are:

1. FI (pick any safe setup)
2. Heavy Duty Clutch and Lighter Flywheel
3. What ever Doug Stewart Makes (Crawfordzcar.com)
4. Suspension goodies

the rest is all fluff...
Old 11-01-2005, 08:42 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Nismo clutch and flywheel. Clutch grabs harder than stock and engages lower but otherwise is no harder to drive than stock, at least to me.

Flywheel makes some difference in how engine revs, but I have so many NA mods that I couldn't tell that much difference. Also the flywheel does make some noise between 2000 and 2500 rpm especially when the engine is lagged.

Overall I think it is a good mod for the performance oriented driver. Not sure if most people would like it as a daily driver. Makes me want the 3.91 ring and pinion to go with it now.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Mr_Q

My current STOCK setup sounds like a cement mixer. I need to come in and have that looked at anyway. :\

Thanks for the feedback! Awesome!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:32 PM
neffster

UPDATE: Yesterday and today I've been "playing" with the new clutch set up trying to figure out what everyone is talking about with the cement mixer sound and I think I've gotten things figured out.

1. I took a turn today at ~20mph in 3rd gear. (Why anyone would ever do this unless they were experimenting is beyond me, but play along...) I actually heard the grinding cement mixer sound that everyone was talking about.

2. Yesterday afternoon I pulled my car in the middle of my garage. With the echo of the roof, floor and 3 walls around me I would press in the clutch and then release it. Over the slight rattle (very slight rattle) of the blower I could kind of hear the same sound. It was much more subtle than the 3rd gear lugging described above, but with the windows down and s/r open it was audible.

My conclusion: Maybe I got lucky or maybe I'm not as finicky as some of you, but this mod ROCKS. No worries hear about noises with the JWT combo what-so-ever.

YMMV.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:36 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the JWT seems to be a great easy to live with combo with mostly nothing but benefits. Some people are more picky than others though with sound and drivability. It's not hard to adjust to things and you can raise the idle to get rid of any idle clunking sounds light clutches might have
Old 11-02-2005, 06:04 PM
UsafaRice

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
So how is daily driving for any of you out there with a light weight flywheel and clutch package?

I miss the quick rev'in spool up the light weight packages give you. That "track car" feeling. But I've never driven one day in and day out.

Negatives anyone?

Thanks!
I've got the Tilton "semi" street setup. It is rough. The thing revs like a motorcycle like Jason said, but it is a firm pedal and difficult to engage. I have had it for about 6,000 miles and stall at least once every third time I drive the car. I've stalled in a slow upshift to 2nd, and I actually stall more often when the car is already rolling and I've pushed the clutch in (like slowing for a red light that just turns green).

From what I understand, the "street" setup is a lot more liveable. That said, I can spray as much as I want and this clutch holds it all. If only I lived near a road course...

And finally, if you drag race, then a really, really light clutch with little slippage like the Tilton is NOT the clutch for you. At the line, you have two options, launch softly and bog the engine off the line or launch hard and spin through 4th.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:25 AM
slaponte

Interesting. I am researching this as well since at 34K miles I am coming up to clutch time. I noticed Jason a big diff between the flywheels stated at the first section. I have noted weight and some sample pricing I have seen online :

Flywheel and clutch combinations that are easiest to drive (and reasonably priced)

NISMO Flywheel ---- 23lbs ----- $519 --- Steel
JWT Flywheel ------ 14lbs ----- $428 ---- Alum
Fidanza Flywheel --- 13.5 lbs -- $400 ---- Alum
Stillen Flywheel ----- ???? ----- $400 ---- Alum (I expect around 14lbs)
UR Flywheel -------- ???? ------ $600 --- Alum (Expect around 14lbs as well)
Jun Flywheel ------- 14.3 lbs --- $529 --- Steel (I added this to the list)
RPS Cyn-R-G ------- ???? ------ $500 --- Alum (I added)
Exedy Flywheel ----- ???? ------ $569 --- Steel (I added)

First thing is the Nismo is WAY OFF the pace on the weight compared to others. Since I do have a daily driver that never has been on track I was recommended to go with this for driveability. EVerything else hovers at 12 to 15lbs which is around 50% of stock (OEM is 31 lbs).

I am also recommended the ACT Street kit for a better perf with driveability. After researching myself sounds like the recommendations are good and solid.

Any comments on this setup (Nismo Fly + ACT Street kit) are welcome.

Just sharing an afternoon of browsing. Please excuse any mistakes. I did NOT keep track of the locations on the prices, but found most of it on Google, so go look.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Gary King

Are the Fidanza and JWT flywheel's the same other than the name? I know JWT has a company other than themselves manufacture theirs.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Gary King

Also, I see Fidanza now has clutch kits for our cars, is anyone here running one? If so what are your impressions?

Quick Reply: Light weight flywheel and clutch owners, feedback?