Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Nismo S2 Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005 | 12:00 AM
Nathan

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
Thanks Peter... there is also one problem... after nizpro tuned the car (they also found that too), whenever we change from gear to gear, if the rpm falls at 1800 rpm or so, the car jerks a bit... the jerk feels like the driver cannot drive a manual car... but if the rpm falls anywhere below or above that, the car drives smoothly... I THINK it might be the VTC tuning problem that I will need to ask simon to double check the mapping in the motec for me...

So that means with or without the VTC pulleys, the car will still operate nicely since the stock VTC angle goes up to 40 degrees... there isn't much to go for above 40 degrees anyway... Also I double checked with the part number on the nismo VTC pulley casing (in my photo archive), the nismo VTC part number is totally different from the ones on the stock VTC pulleys... probably they are just the casing numbers...

I cannot be able to tell the diff. between the stock pully and the nismo pulley though... they were even in the stock nissan VTC pulley boxes and the funny thing is... they crossed the nissan part number, then wrote down nismo part number instead and also wrote down "55 degrees" on top of the nismo vtc pulley using blue marker pen... feels like I got coned that way.... lol... so I think Peter is right about the pulley

cheers,

richie
Dont worry I,m sure you got the 55 deg sprockets (pullys). When I got the Nismo heads from Japan they came in std boxes with texta part #'s

While there ares no figures on the Tq part of the graph it clearly shows 1 complete line increase in Tq in both the 3K & 4K graph when the cams are advanced to 50 deg from 40.

It would be nice to know what the actual increase is.

Remember richie, If its making more Tq its making more horsepower
Old 11-08-2005 | 08:21 PM
racin

Who said the Grand Am Cup cars use the S1 cams?

Another possible reason the NISMO VTC is not used in Grand Am is that it has to be homologated by Grand Am, and they don't give stuff easily to the Z...
Old 11-09-2005 | 02:46 PM
Nathan

Originally Posted by racin
Who said the Grand Am Cup cars use the S1 cams?

Another possible reason the NISMO VTC is not used in Grand Am is that it has to be homologated by Grand Am, and they don't give stuff easily to the Z...
I can't remember which bulliten # on the Grand Am 2004 web site, but it is one of the early ones, maybe 3 or 4 where the cam upgrade is given to the Z
A check on the Part # & specs of the Cams are equal to S1 cams.
In 276 deg 10.7mm: Ex 256 / 10.1mm

The complete cam kit is 1300B - RRQ-NK
The individual cam part #'s are 13020-RRQ00S1
13020-RRQ05S1
13020-RRQ10S1
13020-RRQ15S1
Old 11-23-2005 | 03:16 PM
altimateone

Originally Posted by Nathan

Richie when you pull your motor for the piston & rod upgrade, lend me one of your Nismo VCT sprockets as I feel sure the OE one can be modified for more cam rotation, after all they are just a vane inside with oil distributed to each side by the VCT controller.
A little bit of grinding on the stops should do the job.
any update on this...
Old 11-23-2005 | 05:04 PM
Z350Lover

nope.... engine isn't out yet... car is at the panel shop getting fixed.... so don't know when will that be..

Also check out this thread.... Jason's reply... regarding to the pulley
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/155475-nismo-pulleys.html

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 11-23-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2005 | 05:36 PM
DomZ

So basically, when going for S2 cams you need:

S2 Cams (obviously)
Nismo VTC Pulley
An EMS capable of controlling the VTC
New Springs, Retainers, Valves, (Rods, rod bolts too?)
An extremely knowledgable tuner who will be comfortable tuning in uncharted territory
Possibly the Nismo or custom heads package to match the cams

Basically, a lot of money and a lot of time for an amazing NA powerband and probably (with supporting breathing mods and a pulley) roughly 325+whp NA? Who's going to do it. I'd be first in line if A.) I had the money and B.) I had a beater and the Z wasn't my daily.
Old 11-23-2005 | 06:52 PM
racin

What you NEED is the cams, springs, and I'd say the rod bolts (only to take advantage of the added RPM available), and a tuner who can tune. The uncharted territory won't matter if they are knowledgable.

Things I think would be worthwhile to add would include everything you can get your hands on to let the engine breath better through the exhaust and intake. In other words, the usual mods...
Old 11-23-2005 | 07:18 PM
VegasZ35TH

Sign me up! I will be having my Nismo cams install here soon. My dealership ordered me both Kintex and Crawford cats. I am having the cats put on first. Then the next step will be the cams. Looking forward to both.
Old 12-19-2005 | 02:26 AM
Z350Lover

Originally Posted by Zexy
Peter, what about going with a custom setup with the Nismo blanks and going with even a more aggressive duration? Exactly what else would have to be drilled/machined on the Nismo blanks ? What is the Nismo valvetrain max support?

I plan on staying with the OEM bottom end and modified OEM heads with some port work and increase the compression with some flat top valves.

BTW: I am planning and doing extensive research on this relying on the UTEC releasing the VTC control option, heh.
Zexy:

You cannot use the Nismo valvetrain in the stock heads as those valves are 1mm smaller than the stock item... I did a bit of research there as well and as what peter said, it is not going to work.. so you might want to go with Ferrea valvetrains with the stock head and I am more likely to go with that route now as nismo valve springs are not enough for 7600rpm+ at all (got some bent valves already on the dyno) -> see the other thread.

The cheapest way to increase compression is by using doom pistons, they will be a lot cheaper than going with nismo heads and all the labour intensive works on the cylinder heads modifications (not just a drop in job, will need a lot of works), peter knows about it!

Best of luck to all of us!

cheers,

richie