Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Installed my grounding kit (Hope I did it right.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 12:54 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed my grounding kit (Hope I did it right.

Thanks Insaneanime,

Wish I would have left the lid off before I took the pic because getting the lid on/off is a PITA!

pic here

The car idles much smoother and much *lower* after it is warmed up (750 instead of 1000.)

People with A5T's will really notice a difference with this mod. When in overdrive the shifts are much smoother and stronger! Even my exhaust seems more pronounced when going through the gears in overdrive. It's louder if that is possible, like it is when I manually go through the gears when before it was quiter in over drive. It just feels more powerful. The whine is gone from my after marker radio too!

All 5 wires loop to the battery.
The factory ground goes to point B where 3 other wires are which rins in series with the other 2 wires from the manifold.
One wire runs from the maniold main point of contact to the other main point of contact on the manifold,

I followed the instructions exactly so it should be right, I just broke a bolt off (the supplied one) in the empty hole where the main point of contact was supposed to be so I chose another bolt 2 over from that one but connected to the same part of the engine. If something wasn't right would I know it? I don't want to screw my car up. It runs great.

Word of warning to others, don't torque the bolts too tight!
Old 12-31-2002, 01:04 PM
12SecZ

Default That really doesn't make sense let me clarify

I have two main points of contact on the engine block and each has 3 wires.

Point A is the right side
Point B is the left side

I have to rush to work, I will edit this tonight.

Last edited by 12SecZ; 12-31-2002 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:16 PM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Installed my grounding kit (Hope I did it right.

What instructions? Can we see a copy of these instructions?

Originally posted by MaxHax
Followed the instructions exactly so it should be right!
Old 12-31-2002, 07:21 PM
EnthusiastZ

I read a good article about the grounding kit in Import Tuner magazine. They recommend trying different connection points for the best possible circuit for your particular car.

I have two wires from the battery (one to left side chassis(ground) and the other to the rear of manifold)...from there I looped around to the front left side eng block, then right side manifold, then back around to the rear of the manifold, and finally from the rear of the manifold to a point on the right side of the chassis (ground).
Old 01-01-2003, 09:55 AM
12SecZ

What instructions? Can we see a copy of these instructions?
He sens a written copy of the steps to take with each order and provides 10mmm bolts too (plus a suprise bonus.)

The instructions are two pages long. The steps he showed in the pictorial thread helped me more though :-)

Basicly I broke one of the provided bolts off in an empty hole that wasn't in use so I used an exsisting bolt next to it in the same area. So I have two areas with 3 wires running off them just like in the pictures in his pictorial thread.

Let's call my two points where the 3 wires run off point A and point B. Both are on the engine. Point A will be the driver side.
Then I have points 1 and 2 which are the left and right side of the manifold as you face it.

Then I have point 3 and 4. Point 3 is the stock groundin area to the frame which already has a ground (behind the hood sensor)
and point 4 is the neg of the battery. Point 5 is just a loop from A to B.

In my setup point 1 and point 2 run to point A. Point 5 loops to point B where point 3 and point 4 are connected.

So the two top manifold connections run to A then a loop wire runs to point B. This gives me 3 wires on A.

On point B I have the loop wire, a wire to the neg ground frame and a wire to the battery which gives me my second 3 sets of wires on point B. The car runs much better and smoother so I am assuming I did it right but can anyone comment on this setup to ease my mind so I stop tripping on whether I messed something up?

Happy New Years to all too!
Old 01-01-2003, 04:37 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup... that's how I did mine too. It should be right... I followed the instruction that was included as well. (And I was really surprised about the "Surprise bonus")

FYI... I put your "points" into visual format.
Attached Thumbnails Installed my grounding kit (Hope I did it right.-ground.gif  
Old 01-01-2003, 10:35 PM
12SecZ

Default Thanks SLVR Z

I feel much better. The car runs strong! 1700 miles to date!
Can't wait for a decent intake and chip to push it over the edge!

Love this car!
Old 01-02-2003, 10:49 AM
12SecZ

Default Newbies like me check your install!

I did and I am glad I did. First thing I did was move B to a better location on the engine block (real long 10mm bolt to hold all 3 wires) this allowed me to place the 4th 10mm bolt back on to the cover.

Secondly I rechecked all of my connections after driving my car a full day. Sure enough the top right manifold (drivers side) connection had came lose because I used the long 10mm bolt instead of the short one. I swapped it out with the shorter bolt and it is extremely tight as are all connections. I also rerouted a wire that was showing signs of heat fatigue (but plastic had not melted through) and I rerouted two wires that were too close to the hot engine parts.

I have updated my pic and it shows more wires after the rerouting (all connection points still correct per the feedback here.
So I suggest everyone who is the non DIYer type to recheck your install, it can't hurt. I didn't have to mess with the two hardest parts the hood nipple sensor and the driver side cover bolt I just moved the cover to the right after removing 3 of it's bolts.

new pic here

I think I chose the right blue. It looks like a perfect match in moderate or no light but appears lighter in bright light but I like it.
You will also notice from the pic above to the pic in my website that I moved the battery cable wire slightly over to fit perfectly under that little grooved lip area. Little things that count in my opinion!

Last edited by 12SecZ; 01-02-2003 at 10:52 AM.