Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Bpu?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:57 PM
TeayotaSoupra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bpu?

Ok maybe i'm just a lost noob.. but is there ANY way to get a stickied thread of the most commen BPU upgrades and the best brands?

I've been searching and reading so many freakin' threads...

What mods are the best for the buck? Just for starting off? What brand names? Since every car does better with different brands.

CAI?
Exhaust?
Chip?

Help me out here

-Nikki
Old 11-10-2005, 04:07 AM
002-M-P

Please don't bring the "BPU" term to the 350Z world

I guess searching is what forums are for. People give information, you look for it and learn alot more than you need in the process of looking for it. I can't count the number of times I have learned something that is important but had nothing to do with what I was searching for. Be patient.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:58 AM
chimmike

searching is good and nice, but I started a plenum thread because I spent at least an hour searching, and there was almost NO good information to answer my question.

THIS FORUM NEEDS FREAKING STICKIES! Is that too much to ask? Geez...everyone says the information is there....but after trying 6 different keywords, specifying forums, etc....I never once found what I was looking for.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 979 Likes on 742 Posts

bpu is short for....bolt on power upgrades?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:03 AM
chimmike

basic performance upgrades
Old 11-10-2005, 09:53 AM
TeayotaSoupra

Originally Posted by chimmike
searching is good and nice, but I started a plenum thread because I spent at least an hour searching, and there was almost NO good information to answer my question.

THIS FORUM NEEDS FREAKING STICKIES! Is that too much to ask? Geez...everyone says the information is there....but after trying 6 different keywords, specifying forums, etc....I never once found what I was looking for.
Thank you! I'm glad someone else sees my point! lol

I searched all kinds of keywords! Getting back odd threads too...

edit- and what is wrong with BPU? Others on here use CIA.. and i'm sure some of you use FMIC
Old 11-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike

The problem is when people ask "whats the best XXX" EVERYBODY will give an opinion. There is no best intake, or best plenum, you need to know what mods work well TOGETHER. Did you know an AEM intake and a Crawford plenum lose hp? I dyno proved it. Did you know a Pop-charger and Crawford plenum gained 10whp over the AEM intake on the same dyno? I proved it, on my car and others I gave advice to.

What I suggest you do, is go to the drag section, and see who's pulling the best trap speeds given the mods. Now with that being said, try to find ANY NA Z that has posted a legit 107+ mph trap speed like myself, even if they have more mods than me and see what it took him to get there. My set-up is dyno proven, and track proven, how many people can say that? Click on mods info in my signature to see what I think is a great combo of mods, without even doing headers or cams....
Old 11-10-2005, 10:10 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You’ve been a member of the forum for one whole day, and may be a bit overwhelmed with all the posts and differing opinions. Take some times to define your needs. If members agreed on “best,” then there would be no need for a forum. If fact, every members 350Z would be exactly the same.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:11 AM
TeayotaSoupra

Originally Posted by Alberto
The problem is when people ask "whats the best XXX" EVERYBODY will give an opinion. There is no best intake, or best plenum, you need to know what mods work well TOGETHER. Did you know an AEM intake and a Crawford plenum lose hp? I dyno proved it. Did you know a Pop-charger and Crawford plenum gained 10whp over the AEM intake on the same dyno? I proved it, on my car and others I gave advice to.

What I suggest you do, is go to the drag section, and see who's pulling the best trap speeds given the mods. Now with that being said, try to find ANY NA Z that has posted a legit 107+ mph trap speed like myself, even if they have more mods than me and see what it took him to get there. My set-up is dyno proven, and track proven, how many people can say that? Click on mods info in my signature to see what I think is a great combo of mods, without even doing headers or cams....
Thank you.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by TeayotaSoupra
Thank you.
No problem-let me also add, your driving ability will be the biggest factor when looking at 1/4 times and what each mod helped you to achieve.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:19 AM
TeayotaSoupra

Originally Posted by Alberto
No problem-let me also add, your driving ability will be the biggest factor when looking at 1/4 times and what each mod helped you to achieve.
Yea I have to see how the car reacts. I had a v6 mustang i use to race the crap out of but I knew it's sweet spot..knew where to shift ... now if only it had traction.. same as my old supra.

I don't really want to do aperance mods but I can't freakin' stand the door handles so they are getting painted and blacking everything else out. Planning on tint and intake too and that should be just about all my mod money. Just trying to compair the Injen intake (always been a fav. brand) and the POP charger since I seem to be seeing that in a lot of peoples sigs.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by TeayotaSoupra
Just trying to compair the Injen intake (always been a fav. brand) and the POP charger since I seem to be seeing that in a lot of peoples sigs.
My opinion if you plan on later running a plenum or plenum spacer run the pop-charger, and save $100...
Old 11-10-2005, 01:13 PM
03_Track_Z

Alberto, why not the Injen + the spacer?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:48 PM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by 03_Track_Z
Save some money.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by 03_Track_Z
Injen like the AEM is a long tube intake. When I dyno'd with a Crawford plenum and AEM and other mods over stock I gained only 3whp. The owner of this shop told me that the intake tube is too long, therefor causing slower throttle response and longer time for the air to get sucked from the filter up the tube and into the plenum-he said something like too much turbulence in the intake. I thought it sounded like BS but I bought a pop-charger and dyno'd 1 week later same place, same SAE correction. Throttle response was much better and I gained 10 whp and some TQ. Ive also told other people online with CAI and Crawford plenums to switch to short-ram or a pop-charger and they have seen gains as well. Believe it or not, it worked for me.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:29 AM
by15vc

fs