Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

clutch / flywheel upgrade cost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 08:24 PM
PTOWN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch / flywheel upgrade cost?

Im thinking about upgrading my clutch and flywheel, anyone know est on cost? And do you get your moneys worth? Or should I spend it on somthing else?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:28 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you doing with the car? stock, bolt ons, s/c or turbo-stock block, or s/c or turbo built block? prices range from cheap to insane, depending on what power level it needs to hold.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 PM
PTOWN

Right now I just have cai, but in the in the next year or two I would like to have a s/c
Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 PM
overZealous1

some of the really light weight clutch and flywheel packages can definately help performance by the lighter rotational mass for quicker acceleration, but some can tend to have harsh engagement. be expected to shell out anywhere from $1000-$2500 for the good stuff though. lightened flywheels can be had for around $400-500 and clutch disks and pressure plates from $300 on up. don't forget about install either.
best thing to do is search some of the sponsors on this site and find something that will work with future mods and stay within your budget.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:32 PM
spdkils

Sound advice... It cost me 320 in labor for the install of an ATS twin carbon clutch..

So 2320 bucks...

The engagement isn't smooth as stock, and there is a bit of chatter... The clutch is louder, and the vibrations that the "sprung" flywheel masked are VERY apparent.

However... The clutch + cold weather have pushed my car to the point where I can't keep traction to save my life... I feel like I have to do a burn out in my driveway to warm up my tries to keep them stuck.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:17 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by spdkils
Sound advice... It cost me 320 in labor for the install of an ATS twin carbon clutch..

So 2320 bucks...

The engagement isn't smooth as stock, and there is a bit of chatter... The clutch is louder, and the vibrations that the "sprung" flywheel masked are VERY apparent.

However... The clutch + cold weather have pushed my car to the point where I can't keep traction to save my life... I feel like I have to do a burn out in my driveway to warm up my tries to keep them stuck.
know what you mean, with the tilton rally clutch and solid motor mounts, i get about 1 inch on the clutch pedal from starting to move to full engagement. i can bairily keep the tires from spinning in the dry let alone the wet on take off. really becoming a pita. wish the clutch disks were larger in this car so we wouldn't need super aggressive disks to hold the power.