Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Help!!!!! Sparks at the right bottom area of the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Fairlady_z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!! Sparks at the right bottom area of the car

Hi i have a little problem with my car for some reason today when i was taking the car to japtrix to get the TT installed i was half way up their and i was hitting 90 all the sudden i hear this scraping sound. My friends where behind me and they tell me that im getting sparks small sparks one at a time from my right middle area around where the test pipes connect to the y pipe or a little more back. My question is do you guys know of anything that might hit the floor a bit or something cause it only happens at that speed i guess the speed get under something and get it to touch the floor. When the speed starts to drop the scraping goes away i looked under the car not lifted but didnt see nothing hanging. Do you guys know what it might be or if their is anything their that might have gotten loose and the wind just forces it down at thast speed.

Also my friend told me that i was shutiing out smoke from my exhaust not huge smoke but not a little it happens when i downshift (automatic in manual mode) a puff of smoke comeout and then starts to fade but doesnt leave completely my guess is that since the catalyst do the job of filtering the smoke comming out of the engine it doesnt do that but with test pipes its different becouse none of the gas is filter and leaves completely straight out. What do u guys think completely stock car only mod is the megan racing test pipes.

Thanks alot and would really appreciate some help.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:49 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess that the sparks are coming from the exhaust pipe rubbing on the right side half shaft or it maybe rubbing on the drive shaft . If the exhaust isnt hanging down and hitting the pavement .
Old 12-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Fairlady_z33

well we looked and everything looks in place plus its only one spark at a time the guys at japtrix were going to look at it. and plus you dont feel it until 90
Old 12-02-2005, 03:50 PM
MustGoFastR

Looks like your Flux Capacitor needs work. It must be on the fritz; you should be shooting out all kinds of sparks by 88 MPH.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Gman2004

I had this problem. Sparks and scraping sounds at high speeds. It turned out to be the cover underneath the motor (don't know what it called). Anyway the left rear corner was dragging, but would only spark at higher speeds. good luck with the install.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Fairlady_z33

Whats the flux capacitor and is it vital to any performance parts that will cause big damage. And what do you mean it should be on the fritz. Should i be worried.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:17 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by Fairlady_z33
Whats the flux capacitor and is it vital to any performance parts that will cause big damage. And what do you mean it should be on the fritz. Should i be worried.
He is pulling your leg, you are probably too young for the Back To The Future movie reference although funny.

We didn't get a chance to get the car up on the lift today maybe tomorrow, they are trying to finish up the APS TT install.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Fairlady_z33

Well then he got me good LOL, no problem westpak just asking to see if i can find some info and the smoking people have told me that its just the testpipes most likely but just check in case the car is throwing smoke for some other reason. Hopefully is just the testpipes. Let me know ASAP whenever you guys find out.

Gman2004 - I dont know if its the engine cover underneath i mean hopefully is that and thanks. will see what it is.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:28 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by westpak
He is pulling your leg, you are probably too young for the Back To The Future movie reference although funny.

Those vids are awsome!!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 09:12 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by cessna
Those vids are awsome!!!!
They are classics, I bought the three pack.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

sometimes when the lower engine cover comes down, the metal clips on it spark...
Old 12-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Fairlady_z33

Thanks jason hopefully tommorow japtrix will tell me whats the spark cause
Old 12-03-2005, 05:42 AM
tonio

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
sometimes when the lower engine cover comes down, the metal clips on it spark...

I had the problem too and that is exactly what it was, its a pretty easy diy if you get the car jacked up. Is your front bumper oem? Mine started to fall apart after I got a new bumper and the installer was too lazy to get up under there.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:10 AM
2 low Z

1.21 Gigawatts!!! Great Scott!!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:43 AM
Fairlady_z33

thanks 2 low z i do have the OEM bumper but with a greddy front lip i think i might know today what it is. Also have you guys had this problem with the test pipes that when you downshift you throw a puff of smoke and the it starts to fade but doesnt dissapear.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Fairlady_z33

well i finally know what it is its like gman, jason , and tonio said it was the engine cover. Thanks alot everyone
Old 12-03-2005, 10:23 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by Fairlady_z33
well i finally know what it is its like gman, jason , and tonio said it was the engine cover. Thanks alot everyone
Yes it was one of the smaller covers and it was mising a bolt towards the front.

As for the smoke it is probably a couple of things, it doesn't look like the car has been driven hard lately as a lot of carbon deposits on the tail pipe and also you have cats opening up the exhaust but have an off brand air filter in a pop charger style install that was probably very restrictive and you were running pretty rich.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Fairlady_z33

ok Gus thanks alot for the info if you can today send me the dyno sheet to my e-mail address and again thanks alot Gus.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:39 AM
ZRAYGO

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Looks like your Flux Capacitor needs work. It must be on the fritz; you should be shooting out all kinds of sparks by 88 MPH.

I was going to say the same thing, it must be a pre-light speed thing.....check the hyperdrive system under the passenger seat and then make sure the main connecter to the gforce ring is fastened (you dont want to be going over 180mph if it isnt). If this doesnt work, then i would call a mechanic.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Fairlady_z33

well this is what gus told me about the smoking problem of my car

Basically the AF ratio got very rich down below 12 and around 11.5 towards redline. Your max HP was 203 RWHP on our dyno which would be around 225 on a dynojet which is normal for an automatic.

Your air filter wasn't the best and was probably very restrictive and causing you to run rich

what do you guys think

Quick Reply: Help!!!!! Sparks at the right bottom area of the car