Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Water in the engine?!?!?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Daytona350Texas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the engine?!?!?!?!?!?!

The other day I was driving and over the radio that wasnt turned up to loud, i heard water sloshing in the engine bay from inside the car... Thought nothing of it cause it didnt happen again. Tonight getting off work start the car up first thing I hear, water slosh in engine bay without moving the car. Revs a couple throttle punches in nuetral while sitting there, heard the water again. Now my question is, the other day nissan has my car in the shop washing it off from oil spillover when they changed filter, I have a popcharger on it, could they have flooded my engine when they washed it (without) covering filter, then the test drive after they are done?! Cause it hasnt rained and it snowed but car stayed inside...

Please help me with any info. Also does anyone know the lemon laws for TEXAS???
Old 12-11-2005, 06:39 PM
westpak
SFZCC

If you had water in the engine you would know it becuase the engine would not run anymore.

It might be water on the splash shields or maybe the battery or brake reservoir areas.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:43 PM
done12many2

I seriously doubt you have water in your motor. You may have water somewhere else in your engine bay, but not in your motor. It simply would not run if you had that much water in it.

Originally Posted by Daytona350Texas
The other day I was driving and over the radio that wasnt turned up to loud, i heard water sloshing in the engine bay from inside the car... Thought nothing of it cause it didnt happen again. Tonight getting off work start the car up first thing I hear, water slosh in engine bay without moving the car. Revs a couple throttle punches in nuetral while sitting there, heard the water again. Now my question is, the other day nissan has my car in the shop washing it off from oil spillover when they changed filter, I have a popcharger on it, could they have flooded my engine when they washed it (without) covering filter, then the test drive after they are done?! Cause it hasnt rained and it snowed but car stayed inside...

Please help me with any info. Also does anyone know the lemon laws for TEXAS???
Old 12-11-2005, 06:52 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definately need to cover your popcharger if you are shampooing or washing your engine bay.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:15 PM
punish_her

Question

You give the thought of your heater core. If your system is a little low on water it cavitates (makes noise and bubbles). The water comes into your A/C system and the heat exchanges just on the other side of the firewall.

My car does that occcasionaly because I didn't get all the air out of my system when I drained my radiator. Its a sloshing squishy solund kinda like taking a milkjug half full and turning it upside down.

Deffinately no water in the engine. Water is not comperssable so in all praclicle purposes with water in the cylinders you increase Compression Ratio's exponentialy 20:1 or even 30:1, depending on how full your cylinder was. Each cylinder would not be filled exactly the same so each would have diffrend ratios. So you would blow your engine QUICKLY after it starts (if it starts at all).

Last edited by punish_her; 12-11-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Daytona350Texas

Originally Posted by punish_her
You give the thought of your heater core. If your system is a little low on water it cavitates (makes noise and bubbles). The water comes into your A/C system and the heat exchanges just on the other side of the firewall.

My car does that occcasionaly because I didn't get all the air out of my system when I drained my radiator. Its a sloshing squishy solund kinda like taking a milkjug half full and turning it upside down.

Deffinately no water in the engine. Water is not comperssable so in all praclicle purposes with water in the cylinders you increase Compression Ratio's exponentialy 20:1 or even 30:1, depending on how full your cylinder was. Each cylinder would not be filled exactly the same so each would have diffrend ratios. So you would blow your engine QUICKLY after it starts (if it starts at all).
Sounds like that might be it, what do i do to fix it?
Old 12-11-2005, 07:28 PM
punish_her

Originally Posted by Daytona350Texas
Sounds like that might be it, what do i do to fix it?

In the service manual they have a specifice sequence for filling your radiator involving a series of engine runs and filling the radiator. What it does is lets the engine warm up, open the thermostat (which lets air out), the fill up, repeat. I suggest looking it up and trying it. Have you had your cooling system open recently?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Daytona350Texas

no i havnt, car is under 6500 miles, basically brand new, owned little over 3 months? Its been in one maintenance check and oil change, do they do that? Cause I really didnt pay much attention, work was hectic that week and I went out of town. So im guessing no, cause I havnt personally done it, less they have...
Old 12-11-2005, 10:09 PM
punish_her

From what I've read, its pretty normal. To my surprise it takes little to no air in the system to make th noise. It because you have a source of moving water comming into an area of larger volume. So the water in the larger volume is moving slower. The faster water has to push through the slower water to get it to move, making the sloshing sound. As long as your water/engine temprature is not going up your fine.

What I think is its always been there but your a little hypersensative to your car since its come out of the shop for a service. The horror stories of shops messing things up are stuck in our heads. Hell I even do it and I work on my own car. I havn't seen any issues on the threads relating to this, so I realy don't think there is any thing to worry about.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Daytona350Texas

lol totally agree... even thought i know this freaking dent about the size of the tip of a pinky is from the damn shop but wont admit to it! i can match the paint from lift to it I BET!!!! but o well I can get fixed for 25bux from a best friend that works in body shop