Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT clutch/flywheel installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:42 PM
dimebagdolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KEWL!

Thanks Bruce!

I'll hook up with you at the shop or at the gym one of these days.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:23 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

i have potential problem with my setup.

when i first got the JWT installed it seemed fine. the chatter was there but not that bad. well in the past week, i have the feeling that my clutch is slipping!

now im not sure if after the break-in the clutch is chattering more, but when i step on it in 1st or 2nd i get that "chatter-like" sound for most of the RPM range. i dont even have to go WOT....maybe like 60-75% i can hear this grinding-like noise.

the noise happens really fast...let me try to explain.

the sound of my engine revving is like wrrrrrr....GRRR....wrrrrrrrr..GRRRR...wrrrrrrr....GRRRR

but really fast like all within 2 seconds where the GRRR is the bad sound and the wrrr is the sweet sound of the engine spooling up

any help? i hate to think SGP installed it wrong, and I havent driven it hard at all since install. I was letting it break in for the first 1000 miles or so.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did they re-use the stock flywheel bolts?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:23 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
did they re-use the stock flywheel bolts?
yeah they did. should they use something else?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:09 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarvesterUT
The first thing i noticed was the clutch pedal travel was greatly reduced. i'd say the travel is about 60-70% of what it used to be. Also, the clutch is a bit stiffer, but thats ok b/c you dont have much distance to push the clutch anyways.
Sounds like the clutch pedal was never adjusted. Something the dealer should have done during a clutch install. The engagment off the floor might mean you are really never really disengaging the clutch fully which will lead to bigtime friction, clutch wear, hot spots, warping and much reduced clutch life.

The engagement comes immediatlely off the floor. This was totally different from stock. The shifts are a bit quicker, since the flywheel is so light. Overall it's a different beast....for the better. I think the Z is easier to drive now and I cant wait for the complete break in.
Again... sounds like the clutch pedal was never adjusted.

Respect
JET
Old 01-05-2006, 04:57 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

is there a way to do this myself? can the shop look at it for me...or will they charge me out the *** to fix what they caused?
Old 01-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Dubai

I'm installing the JWT combo in a week or so, will let you guys know how it feels.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:04 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by dimebagdolf
So given what's in this document. How does the Tilton differ from the JWT outside of weight and diameter?
Well... those are the two biggest factors, as the Tilton document up above mentioned. The OEM flywheel and all aftermarket units that use the OEM size all use about a 12" diameter setup. The Tilton uses about a 7" diameter setup. (Right Jason?) That reduction in the Tilton's diameter helps tremendously. Also, the Tilton clutch/flywheel combo weighs about 16 pounds *total*, compared to roughly 34 pound total with the JWT clutch/flywheel combo. The OEM clutch/flywheel combo weighs roughly 48-50 pounds, give or take. (Jason@Performance has posted these numbers many times in the past, but I'm pretty sure these are roughly the correct values.) That'll give you an idea of the differences we're talking here, and why the Tilton kit really, really makes the Z much faster.

However, the downside to the Tilton kit is that it doesn't slip much. It's more like an on/off switch, which can make it a serious pain in the butt to start from a stop in your typical daily driving situations. They do have a "street" kit which isn't quite so bad as their other more aggressive kits, but it's still pretty darn aggressive. Just about every single person I've read about who has installed a Tilton kit recommends that you try one out before installing one in your own car. Some people feel the Tilton's gain in performance outweighs the reduction of daily driveability, while others absolutely can't stand it. It's really a personal decision there.

On the other hand, the various kits that use the OEM sizes (such as the JWT and Nismo flywheels and clutches) don't affect daily driveability much at all. They are still very easy to start from a stop, in otherwords. However, they don't give nearly the performance boost that the Tilton kit gives.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the sound of my engine revving is like wrrrrrr....GRRR....wrrrrrrrr..GRRRR...wrrrrrrr....GRRRR

but really fast like all within 2 seconds where the GRRR is the bad sound and the wrrr is the sweet sound of the engine spooling up

Is this happening at about 2300rpm's or under? If so ,thats the normal Z tranny cement mixer noise. The reason its so loud at low rpms under load is because the JWT is a 1 piece FW, the factory is a dual mass set-up and absorbs more of the noise/drivetrain harshness.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Alberto
Is this happening at about 2300rpm's or under? If so ,thats the normal Z tranny cement mixer noise. The reason its so loud at low rpms under load is because the JWT is a 1 piece FW, the factory is a dual mass set-up and absorbs more of the noise/drivetrain harshness.
No worries, that is the normal sound. You will find that the sound of many of the lightened flywheels and clutches will change over time. Your clutch is not slipping....you would know it.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:50 PM
BootieMAN

Just installed the JWT clutch and flywheel. So far I have mixed feelings about it, but I honestly can't say yet until the break in period is over. I can tell right away that the rpm's rev and drop quicker and that the clutch engagement is much sooner than stock. The only real downfall so far is the crazy grinding noise from the lighten flywheel. I'm really hoping that it diminishes as the break in progresses, but I suppose it's the price we have to pay. I know some people with the JWT flywheel hardly have any cement grinding noises, while others have quite a lot. Time will tell.....
Old 01-13-2006, 06:10 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by BootieMAN
I know some people with the JWT flywheel hardly have any cement grinding noises, while others have quite a lot. Time will tell.....
My honest opinion, is that everyone's perception of "noise" is different, thus...the varying opinions on the board.

After a week or so, you wont even hear it anymore.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:28 AM
barthelb
Master

True, I can reproduce the noise but its only when Im under 1500 rpms in 2nd or higher. Im never that lower in the Rpm so I dont have that problem. I haven't had anyone comment on it, either they dont hear it or are like " what in the hell was that, Im not gonna even say anything, that's how weird that noise was." Like Sharif said noise is a preference or perception, some mods will have to give us some comfortablility to increase performance but the JWT is a great compromise in both respects.

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
My honest opinion, is that everyone's perception of "noise" is different, thus...the varying opinions on the board.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:44 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Alberto

ok this is the update on this noise problem. the noise the flywheel makes under load at 2500rpm or less is a dull hum noise. it's noticeable, but not too bad.

now when i go about 50% throttle through the gears i get that noise i describe. the thing is, that noise will happen past 2500rpm. i can take 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear all the way to 4000rpm with 15-60% throttle and ill get that noise.

if i go 80-100% throttle i dont hear it and my car seems to take off. so im not sure if the clutch is slipping, because it seems to grip well when i gun it...but at all other times it makes that noise.

i can be babying the throttle and still get that noise. i go WOT and i dont hear it. I DONT GET IT!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The clutch will make significantly more noise than stock, and their will be much more noise between 1000rpm to3000rpm under heavy load.

Your clutch is unlikely slipping. You can tell your clutch is slipping, if the revs race upward, but your car doesnt accelerate. You can also smell the burning/slipping clutch. Again..highly unlikely.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:41 PM
jreiter

HarvesterUT, the sound you're hearing *may* be the shifter vibrating against its guide plate. Many people have this problem after dropping their tranny and reinstalling it. Just something to consider if you're still looking for the cause of the sound.

Last edited by jreiter; 02-02-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:53 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I only wish that was true for me. My JWT flywheel noise has actually gotten a bit louder since I originally installed it. It's loud enough now that random people have actually *asked* me if something was wrong with my car or transmission. <sigh> When my clutch eventually wears out and needs to be replaced, I'm considering going to back to the stock flywheel just to get rid of the noise.

One question no one has ever been able to answer is *why* the 350Z tranny makes this noise with a single mass flywheel. I have many friends with single mass lightweight flywheels on all sorts of cars, and none make weird noises like this.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:13 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

I have to pull my JWT clutch/flywheel. I think the throw out bearing is going. It makes a terrible humming noise when it gets warm and sort of slips. They did not put a new one in when they did the original install (as far as I know anyhow).
Is it worth getting the NISMO Pilot bearing and throwing it in at the same time as the throw out bearing? Anyone know if it really does anything?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:40 PM
tig488

if youre talking about the nismo with the bearings, i wouldnt do it, just one more thing to mess up, if you get any crap in those bearings its gonna go out on you. just use the sleeve bushing.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:02 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

yeah its this one: http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/nirobepibu.html

Thanks for the advice.