Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cryogenaically cooled Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 07:08 AM
TonyZXT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cryogenaically cooled Intercooler

I know the turbo kits aren't out yet, but I was just surfin' around and dreaming, and found something interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3105800310

I wonder if you couldn't hook this baby up in a car using a nitrous bottle. Devise some way to make this cool your intercooler, and you'd have one hell of a cold intake charge. Man, I have too much time on my hands! ;-P
Old 01-11-2003, 07:47 AM
franklinz

nitrous express has a system called n-tercooler, it actually sprays a dispersed shot of nitrous onto your intercooler. or if your a person that doesnt have money dripping out of your pockets, you can also use co2. if you think about it, a good intercooler can add about 20 hp to a turbo car, and a really efficient intercooler can add......??
franklinz
Old 01-11-2003, 09:51 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I saw this thing the other day. It's not exactly what you are wanting, and I don't really know how much cooling that bulb will really do for the intake. Until I see some real numbers, I'll just mark that one up as a strange idea.

Be a guinnea pig if you want, though
Old 01-12-2003, 03:09 AM
TonyZXT

Default I'm with you on that one

.... As far as the intake thing goes. I think I'll wait for some other fools to try it out. Kinda seems a little irrissponsible of SEMA to give this thing a big award, seeing how it is completely unproven. Funny part is I had a similar (better) idea about 4 years ago, but kind of dismissed it as something that might not work after allot of effort.

On the subject of the I/C, I wonder how hard it would be for a shop that fabs intercoolers to plumb in nitrogen or other cold gas to cool the whole I/C down. Obviously it would have to be plumbed differently than a traditional I/C, so it would be no small task, but it could show some serious HP gains. Something to think about anyway.
TonyZXT
Old 01-12-2003, 06:57 AM
TonyZXT

Default I'm with you on that one

.... As far as the intake thing goes. I think I'll wait for some other fools to try it out. Kinda seems a little irrissponsible of SEMA to give this thing a big award, seeing how it is completely unproven. Funny part is I had a similar (better) idea about 4 years ago, but kind of dismissed it as something that might not work after allot of effort.

On the subject of the I/C, I wonder how hard it would be for a shop that fabs intercoolers to plumb in nitrogen or other cold gas to cool the whole I/C down. Obviously it would have to be plumbed differently than a traditional I/C, so it would be no small task, but it could show some serious HP gains. Something to think about anyway.
TonyZXT
Old 01-12-2003, 09:27 AM
hoglecl

There is another type of intercooler. Rather than air to air it is air to liquid to air. The advantages are that it can take up less space, does not required routing of the the air flow to the front of the engine (effect lag), and can have a greater cooling capacity. The down sides are, more complex (needs a pump etc), and the extra cooling capacity drops off if boost is used long enough to raise the liquid tempture.
If you have run inot discussions of things like cool box it sometmes is refering to the liquid storage tank for a air to liquid to air intercooler. If one puts ice water, ice dry ice, etc around the tank the tempture of the intercooler can be drastically reduced, at least to the limit of the freezing point of the liquid being used. Since street use usually imvolves short periods of boost (and resulting boost heat into the intercooler) liquid intercoolers can run cold long enough to cover the entire boost cycle before the coolant temp starts to rise.

This type of intercooler offers some interesting posibilities.

On a seperate note this reminds me that in the 40's and 50's log trucks used to have 50 gal or so tanks behind the cab and a plumbing system to apply water on the drum brakes so that they could keep the breaks cool on long down grades. Water spray systems were also used on radiators to keep the temps down.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:38 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Did you see the press release on what Ford is talking about doing for the Lightning? They've built a tank to use to cool about a gallon of coolant via the vehicle's AC to about 30 degrees. The driver can dump this cooled coolant into the IC for an added HP boost. It takes about 2 minutes to recool the tank before it can be used again.

Pretty slick.