Old 01-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those stacks are so very beautiful. Too bad I'll never see them in my car
Old 01-13-2003, 06:17 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much? id imagine 7 or 8 grand? might not be so bad... you could remove your stock engine and sell it for 2 or 3 grand, cost you around 5grand for the swap, and you gain over 150hp... more than turbos are offering for more money, and you still have that option.

is it a steel block? or still open head aluminum?
Old 01-13-2003, 08:26 PM
ahhhshucks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im just going to install a rocket propelled dual flux compasator engine
Old 01-13-2003, 10:54 PM
xXx

I'd be really interested in any additional info you can get. To have a base motor with that power would be sweet.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:23 AM
Zrated

YES! That's what NISMO needs to sell! Streetable high performance crate motors!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:09 AM
NismoEagleRock

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

holy crap! check out those air horns! damn, if i stand correct, those vq's aren't even utilizing fuel injection.. they're running monster carburetors! wow that's cool!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:22 AM
NismoEagleRock

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

my bad... see the injectors there... but the 1 air horn per cylinder is still bad ***!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:33 AM
DrCold

Hmm, thats something i would do before turbos. Does anyone have any specs on it. What type of deck is it, what's its compression ratio (hey, didnt say i wouldnt put turbo's on that), and how hard would it be to get in the states.

Personally i think if you where looking into a turbo, getting a crate would be a much better option. Its just amazing how fast aftermarket parts are comming out for the Z. I had to wait about 1 1/2 years for someone to make shortys for my dakota...

-DrCold
Old 01-14-2003, 11:24 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Could you just imagine what that monster would sound like?

HKS has been working with NISMO on that engine... thats good news for aftermarket parts coming our way.

Last edited by zxsaint; 01-14-2003 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Victor, I'm even going to ask where you found out the compression ratio. I thought it'd be higher, given the output/liter. Spoon Sport's F20 has a 12.6 ratio. And costs $9000. I doubt they'll ever sell this to the public.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:04 PM
kaiser23

Turbo'ing on that car would be pretty much pointless, and not very efficient. Those velocity stacks change the whole way the air flows into the manifold. You'd either have to have piping from the turbo run into an air box over the stacks, or have piping from the turbo that runs seperately into each one of the velocity stacks, which wouldn't be very efficient either. Velocity stacks are for highly tuned NA cars, and they don't Turbo them ever that I'm aware of (I could be wrong though). Not to mention with that high of a compression ratio, it'd be tough to squeeze any more air/fuel in there.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:58 PM
S2kRob

Those airhorns attach to an individual throttle body for each cylinder. Note that a street driven engine would need an airfilter over the top of each stack.

The RB26DETT uses individual throttle bodies and is twin turbocharged. Also I believe the Ferrari F40 uses individual throttlebodies and is turbocharged as well, so turboing and individual throttle bodies can be done.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:02 AM
TCL

I can't believe that engine would be streetable. Probably developed for various race applications. Anyone have information to the contrary?
Old 01-15-2003, 11:29 AM
digerydingo

That would definately be a very cool option to consider. I would much rather have the crated NA engine rather then an aftermarket modified turbo engine. I don't think it would behave very gentlemen like on the road, not to mention wether emissions control would be able to do anything to handle it.

It probably will only be sold to people that have already purchased 350ZR as a direct engine swap. All racecars come with a chassis identification and log book and can only be entered into competition with both of these items intact. Most Motorsports Divisions and race engine turners require this proof to supply parts to the buyer. In other words Joe Blow can't go out and buy the LeMans race winning C5R Crate engine and plug it into his Z06 unless he can prove he owns the C5R.

This was probably on display for show to let people see the supposed beast that will take the GT world by storm. BTW the stacks are only for show, most GT series require a restrictor of somekind and even racecars need some kind of filter.

If it is available to the public I would still give them a season or two to work out the kinks. When I see that baby lasting 18+hrs in an endurance race I'll put my order in!
Old 01-15-2003, 11:57 AM
articfury
Charter Member #55

From Overboost.com, here:

"Nissan Motorsports (NISMO) now offers a "crate" VQ35 engine (350Z) that produces 450 horsepower. Each crate engine is laboriously handcrafted in Nissan's Tokyo facility, and each part within this engine is available from Nissan dealers in Japan. The VQ sports 13.5:1 compression and uses a Pectel T6 ECM for fuel and spark control. What kills us is that this thing uses stock cylinder head castings!"

Notice the part about available at Nissan dealers in Japan. I doubt that this is being limited to race cars only.

Anyone know anything about the Pectel T6 ECM?

JD
Old 01-15-2003, 12:04 PM
jeffw

Originally posted by articfury
Anyone know anything about the Pectel T6 ECM?
[/B]

I found this on the web:

http://www.pectel.co.uk/products/t6/index.htm

--
Jeff
Old 01-15-2003, 03:24 PM
TCL

What kind of fuel would be required for an engine with a 13.5:1 compression ratio?
Old 01-15-2003, 04:41 PM
ITR#203

Couple of clearifications:
1. The BMW M3's S54 engines also have individual throttle bodies but they do not have a filter on the end of every throttle body. This set up will give GREAT throttle response by the way.
2. 13.5 compression is on the EDGE of drivability on the street. A hot day? It'll knock for sure. I'd say 95 octane or higher would be needed to safe use it in all seasons. The highest compression ratio that I would go with for a street car would be around 12.5:1 for areas with 93 octane.
3. Why would you wanna turbo that motor? One thing I've learned about you 350Z owners is that you guys are way to eager to hear that blow off valve from turbos or that whistle from the supercharger. RICEBOYS. J/K! Honestly though, naturally aspiration not only offers better throttle response and a more linear powerband but it is also the HONEST way to make power. If the 350Z revved to 7500 rpms and made torque THORUGHOUT the powerband (which would result in an estimated 350hp WITHOUT making more peak torque), I would be driving one as we speak and I would definately prefer this over a turbo version of a 350Z.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:02 PM
wizeline

Dear Lord God... Please Please let me have this... I promise to be a good boy and never drive tooooooo fast!!!
Old 01-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Radian

Originally posted by ITR#203
but it is also the HONEST way to make power.

????? "HONEST" ?????

Excuse me but... Making power is making power. There is no "HONEST" way to make it.

I own both a 400 HP NA V8 and a 450hp Turbo 2 litre...
The 4 cylinder turbo MAKES POWER!

If you could put a solar flux capacitor thingamagigy on a car and it made power and was comparable weight. You could bet we would be lining up for it.

Granted there are pluses and minues to all the current power adder concepts. "Big cube engines", Turbos, Superchargers, Nitrous, but in the end they all make power, they just do it in different ways with different strengths and weaknesses.

Quick Reply: 450HP crate engines by NISMO and HKS