Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003 | 06:09 PM
A_FlyingZ

Hey guys.. I see a few Z owners from NJ .. add me to the list.. got mine a few weeks ago, reached 1200 miles 2 days ago and its been a lot of fun since the break in period is over
I am probably going to get the grounding kit, not too sure what else.. I might get nice Michelin AS sports tires and I am going to have to do something about the sound system, it is plain awfull

I saw one of you had 8000K Xenon, was it difficult to install & how much did this cost you?

I am going to try to attach a pic of my Z but I havent been lucky in the past..lol

Take care
Bruno
Old 01-30-2003 | 03:14 AM
j's350z

Default Welcome

I'm in central Jersey, Anytime you want to meet up I'm game. I may sell my Intake if you are interested. Also, you can check out my stereo and other mods if you want, just let me know.......
Old 01-30-2003 | 03:55 AM
DavidD

Default Wheel size

Could the 17" wheels change the dyno results compared
to the 18"?
Old 01-30-2003 | 08:29 AM
jooklum99

Originally posted by webcarconnection
Mine is a "Base" too, this is the 4th time I see a base model doing better #s that the others models, in the track too....I wonder?
I did some checking, could it be the base model's lack of LSD= less drivetrain loss?
Old 01-30-2003 | 02:55 PM
Traffic

Originally posted by jooklum99
I did some checking, could it be the base model's lack of LSD= less drivetrain loss?
I thought this was the reason too but the dyno guys said prolly not.
--
Bruno,

The Xenon install is not hard at all if you have someone else do it I went to Tweeter to have it installed. It took them some time (2-3 hours) because they had to pull off the wheelwell, etc. It's quite a pain to get to the lights.

--
We need to do a drive when the weather gets better--
Old 01-30-2003 | 03:51 PM
jooklum99

Did he offer anything in the way of a superior explanation? It seems at least plausible. I actually prefer my initial (but overly optimistic) view that HP magically grows over time.
Old 01-30-2003 | 05:25 PM
soulswimmer

Given the dyno results in this thread, it seems that those who claim the factory ecu will compensate and negate any power gains from mods are wrong. Or has this already been decided?
Old 01-30-2003 | 10:59 PM
jigga

Default Re: Got my graphs

Originally posted by j's350z
My best run "Actual" was 264.4HP and 261.1TQ....Which corrected to "STD" was 256.9 and 253.4 TQ. Like I said earlier, I was very pleased with these results!!!!!!!!!
I guess I'll see what I can get with a little forced induction. Oh, and I plan on installing an air/fuel guage/monitor to watch because the car was running a little lean. But I run 94 octane in it so I should be fine.

umm...not that I am doubting or anything, because those are great numbers, but why is it that your car cranks out 256HP at the wheels, yet you car only traps at around 101MPH??
I mean, Stock Honda S2000's have less WHP than your car does, yet they trap at similar speeds.... Is there something I am missing here? Could it be that the wheels that are on your car are possibly inflating your WHP numbers? The reason why I ask again is because there are other 350Z owners (me not being one of them) that have cars with lower whp figures, yet trap at the same speeds your car traps in the 1/4mile... As I said before, I am not doubting or hating, but I am confused.....
Old 01-31-2003 | 03:08 AM
j's350z

Their are alot of factors that have to be considered when trying to compare trap speed and HP. One major thing in my situation is that when I ran my car, it only had 1700 miles on it, and no grounding kit. I now have almost 11,000 miles on the car and it is noticeably faster now that its broken in. And for all you skeptics out there, the grounding kit smoothes out the TQ range so much that we couldn't beleive our eyes. I can fax someone Chris's and my graphs if you can scan and post.... In the spring I will run my car again. I know I can get better times than before....
Old 01-31-2003 | 06:22 AM
jigga

Wow... You are at 11,000miles already?? That is quick..Maybe I don't drive much, but I have had my WRX for a little over a year now, and I have 'only' managed to put 16,000 miles on it... And I drive this car almost everyday too! Do you have a long commute to work or something?Did you take a long trip in the 350Z?? Fill me in here!
Old 01-31-2003 | 06:46 AM
j's350z

Default I waited 7 months

for this car... I can't get out..J/K .... I've had it for about 3 1/2 months but recently returned from a long road trip. I drove it from NJ to Miami.. But, I was in miami for 3 weeks on vacation so I drove it everywhere. The weather was mid 70's everyday and I'm single so the Z and me were on the prowl..... The trip is 1300 miles each way and I put another 2000 on it in Florida... So, there you have it. I bought the car to drive, so I'm driving it. I'm sure once the novelty of having one of the few around, I'll slow down, and once the weather here in Jersey breaks, I'm sure I'll be on my steet bike also....
Old 01-31-2003 | 09:52 AM
jigga

Default Re: I waited 7 months

Originally posted by j's350z
and I'm single so the Z and me were on the prowl.....
Hahaha! Gotta keep yo' pimp hand strong now!... so..ummm did you find any prey?!?!

BTW, how long did it take you to hit Miami from NJ??? I remember a couple of years back, I took a road trip with the fam' from up here in Ontario Canada to South Carolina...... NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! That was tooo damn far, and I ended up doing 99% of the driving.... even though I had the 02 Escalade to do some pimpin' down at Myrtle beach, it was a little too far a drive for me.... By the time I got down there, i barely had any energy left to hit the beach to keep ma' pimp hand strong in tha slow lane..... Plus the odd looks from people when they saw me with my "Ontario" plates on the truck... I love to drive, but if it is more than a day's drive away, my *** if flying down!

The way I see it, these cars are meant to be driven, so I gotta give you the thumbs up for doing so!
Old 02-02-2003 | 07:20 AM
webcarconnection

Default Re: Re: Got my graphs

Originally posted by jigga
umm...not that I am doubting or anything, because those are great numbers, but why is it that your car cranks out 256HP at the wheels, yet you car only traps at around 101MPH??
I mean, Stock Honda S2000's have less WHP than your car does, yet they trap at similar speeds.... Is there something I am missing here? Could it be that the wheels that are on your car are possibly inflating your WHP numbers? The reason why I ask again is because there are other 350Z owners (me not being one of them) that have cars with lower whp figures, yet trap at the same speeds your car traps in the 1/4mile... As I said before, I am not doubting or hating, but I am confused.....

I have a base too and with only 2000 miles i did 13.8 @103 in the track and put 246 whp....hmm I never see a S2K do 101 trap speed in the track, but that just me!
Old 02-02-2003 | 09:05 AM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Chris/Jason,

Do you have your dyno run files? For good comparison with most of the other runs posted, we need your numbers in SAE corrected. That is the correction method used for most of the dyno runs previously posted. Also, do you know the smoothing factor?

Before anyone tries to say that I am questioning their results, I admit that they have some really strong numbers. I just want to see how they directly compare to the other numbers out there. For reference, my dyno numbers vary by 5 just by changing the smoothing.

Thanks,

JD
Old 02-03-2003 | 03:13 AM
j's350z

Jigga,
Due to traffic and rain the whole way, took about 20 hours to get get from Jersey to Miami, Coming home was different story, Miami to Jersey, a mere 16.5 hours... As far as the prowl, the Z is awesome!!!!!!!!!..

Articfury,
I can fax you Chris's and my Charts in Corrected STD form. I don't have them on disk and I don't have a scanner.....