Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

anyone using octane booster? If so which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:25 PM
chichi506

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone using octane booster? If so which one?

just as the name suggests! i was thinking about adding octane boosters but their are so many and i cannot decide on one. please help!
Old 03-21-2006, 02:28 PM
roneski

The all suck. Read the fine print the raise you octane by points.

1 point = .1

So if you have additive A which claims to raise your octane by 7 "points" it's actually only raising your octane by .7.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chichi506
just as the name suggests! i was thinking about adding octane boosters but their are so many and i cannot decide on one. please help!
If you want to raise your octane use toluene.

Use the search function of this forum and you will find a whole bunch of threads on how much to add to your gas to reach your desired octane levels.

Remember before posting questions like this try the search function first instead of wasting bandwidth asking questions that have been asked 100's of times before. Im not trying to be an @ss, but the search function is your friend.

Here is a good article on it also.
http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

Last edited by Mike Wazowski; 03-21-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:13 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

unless you have an engine tuned for race gas...you really wont see any benefit to bumping your octane 1/2 to 1 point. i'm just glad i live in Texas where we get 93 like it's water!
Old 03-21-2006, 04:50 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read July 2005 Sport Compact Car. They had a lab test 91 octane pump and a few boosters.
MMT based NOS Racing formula took Shell 91.2 octane gas to 93.7.
A home brew of 12.5 oz of toluene and 3.125 oz of mineral spirits mixed with 15 gallons got them 91.4
A 30% mix of toluene to gas got them 95.5 but to achieve this you would need 6 gallons for a 20 gallon tank.
Outlaw got a 92.4 but has since changed their formula from Ferosene to MMT.

Since I don't have the luxury of living in another state where 93 is at the pump, I have been using Outlaw since they introduced the MMT based 4 pack bottles and the Z seems to have a bit more when I lay into it compared to when it's not in there.

Some will tell you this stuff is evil for your cats and sensors but MMT is used in pump gas in Canada and you don't see their cars dropping like flies. Canada did 50k mile study of fleet vehicles to see if it caused any damage and they could find no sign of MMT based issues.

I am not recommending anything here, just posting information I have found and what I am doing myself.

Chris
Old 03-21-2006, 05:02 PM
JoeDirtPharmD

I'm kindof a fan of a mix of Home-Depot's Xylene and some MMO from AutoZone.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:05 PM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Complete Article

If you want to make pump gas into “racing gas” for engines with 11:1 or more compression, high-boost superchargers, big doses of nitrous or any engine run on a race track at sustained high-speed/high-load; forget it. No canned octane booster in any quantity will fail to stop detonation under those conditions.

If you “read” spark plugs to tune your engine, the redish-brown MMT residue makes useful readings impossible. Levels of MMT octane boosters just moderately beyond the recommendations of booster manufacturers will foul spark plugs, damage oxygen sensors (O2S) and plug catylitic converters. High percentages of MMT contaminates engine oil and leaves hard metallic deposits in the combustion chambers, piston tops and upper end of the cylinder walls such that engine wear is greatly accelerated. Do not use them in concentrations higher than suggested by their manufacturers.

That some automotive manufacturers believe MMT causes problems with the second generation on-board diagnostics (OBD 2) on ’96 or vehicles has us concerned about long-term use of MMT boosters in OBD2 engines. We would not use a MMT octane booster in a Corvette with OBD2. In fact, we’re not even comfortable with long-term, regular use in any engine with 02Ses and cats, OBD2 or otherwise.

While some of them have a short-term practical benefit, the economics of octane boosters aren’t much better than mixes of pump and racing gas. Factor in the durability issue and they might not be as good a value. We priced NOS Racing Formula on the Internet and at retail vendors. It averaged $12.99 per bottle. At time this article was posted on the Internet, 91-oct. was going for $2.59.9@gal. at local gas stations and we purchased "Rockett Brand 100" unleaded (106 RON, 96 MON, 100 R+M/2) for $4.75@gal. Sixteen gallons of 91 boosted to 94.5-oct. with a bottle of NOS ran $54.57. Sixteen gallons of 94.6 octane gas mixed 3:2, from 91 and Rockett 100 unleaded cost $55.35, seventy-eight cents more. Considering the two mixes differ in price by a little over 1%, the engine and emissions controls component damage you risk with MMT boosters seems to point at racing gasoline rather than octane booster as the sensible way to raise the octane of pump gas.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeDirtPharmD
I'm kindof a fan of a mix of Home-Depot's Xylene and some MMO from AutoZone.
Hey Joe,

I would be a little carefull putting in the Xylene. It certaintly will bump up the octane, but Xylene (a heavy aeromatic) will also result in slow and incomplete combustion. It can make a sooty residue that might mess with your O2 sensors or cats.