Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How hard is it to install your own clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:39 PM
deezz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to install your own clutch?

I have installed items like brake pads and CAI, but I am guessing this is on a different level of mechanical knowledge, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:01 PM
done12many2

Originally Posted by deezz
I have installed items like brake pads and CAI, but I am guessing this is on a different level of mechanical knowledge, but I could be wrong.
The actual process and what needs to be done is not bad, but it will require you to have access to a lift. I guess it would be possible to do it without one, but you wouldn't catch me doing it.

I have gotten it down to about 2 hours on a lift and I am sure there are people faster than myself. If you haven't done it before, you may want to double that time.

It's really not that bad, but I wouldn't label it a do-it-yourselfer!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:09 PM
deezz

Thx for the response. I definitely don't have access to a lift. Just was something I wanted to take a stab at if it was possible.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:04 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its actually not bad if you have done stuff like that before. just make sure you get it all aligned properly.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deezz
Thx for the response. I definitely don't have access to a lift. Just was something I wanted to take a stab at if it was possible.
Although it "could" be done without a lift, I wouldnt even consider it.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:00 AM
plumpzz

ive done it once on a 5speed supra, its no fun. definatley a 2-3 man job if you dont have a lift. hardest part is aligning it all up at the end.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:44 AM
partyman66

You'd want a vehicle lift and a transmission jack for sure... preferably one with a tilting saddle and straps on it so you can get the angles right for the transmission input shaft.

I'm not sure if you have to remove motor mounts on this car to drop the tranny or not, but on some vehicles it makes it easier to do that.. which can also require you to take off other components such as unhooking your exhaust hangers or removing the exhaust manifolds.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

No need for that on the VQ35.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:14 PM
overZealous1

ya it sucks when you are on your back and the trans falls on your chest then it starts pouring gear oil out the back as your trying to figure out how to breath and get the dam thing off your chest, hahahhaa. you have about a 70% probability on exactly that if you attemp by yourself on jack stands.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:26 PM
sfarrah

I've dropped the tranny on my z32 at least 5 times now-it will take time, but it's not impossible. First few times I just used a hydraulic jack, then got a tranny jack. Upper tranny bolts appear to be a lot easier to get to on the z33. If it's your only vehicle, I would suggest getting some help if you've never done it before and need to get it running again in a day or two.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Midnyte

I'll let you know sunday. We're gonna try putting my jwt combo in.

-B
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Midnyte

Definately something you should let a shop do unless you just want to get to know your car better. Be prepared to be without your car for a few days if you try by yourself. If you have someone willing to let you use their lift, then you should bring a friend to help. It will take the better part of a day to do. I did mine last night with a friend. It was our first time dropping the tranny on the Z. It took about 7 hours(tools out to tools up) at a friends local shop. If you're just looking to save money by doing it yourself, I'd say its just not worth it. I like working on cars, so I felt pretty good about it when we were done (and it worked ). I also knew that it was done right, no boost leaks, empty bolt holes, etc...

Power tools and several long extensions make the job much easier. But even though we used them, I'm still sore as h3ll. All in all, if I had to do it again, I'd pay a couple of hundred bucks to a shop to do the install.