Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Replacement Rotor for Track Package

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 01:57 PM
350on19inchVolk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Rotor for Track Package

Has anyone ordered replacement rotors for your 350Z with the Brembo Brakes?????

I just did. I warped them at my first track day. I went to the dealer and the replacements are, READY???, $436 each !!!!

Check this out !!! After I heard this. I called the shop that did my coilovers, exhaust and wheels. They sell the Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit, 13.1" Rotors with Larger calipers than the Track Package. It's a much better brake, AND the replacement rotors are half the price, AND it does fit under the 17" or 18" factory package.

I just had the kit installed and its really trick. The pedal feels better and the braking power almost hurts.

The shop that I bought it at keeps the Brembo Kit in stock because alot of the 350Z owners either didnt get the track package or wants to upgrade to a better Brake System.

Progressive Image in West Los Angeles is the shop I got them from. They are the masters of the 350Z. (310)470-4910.

Thanks again Pete !!!!
Old 02-13-2003, 03:32 PM
350on19inchVolk

I just had them installe dthis afternoon. I will post pics as soon as I get them.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:15 PM
zPilott

How did you warp your rotors? my friends Did you use your ebrake while you were parked or something?
Old 02-13-2003, 04:38 PM
n3985

Wait...so the Gran Turismo kit, 355x32 right? WILL fit under a stock wheel?
Old 02-13-2003, 04:53 PM
Audito350Z

Default Re: Replacement Rotor for Track Package

Originally posted by 350on19inchVolk

I just did. I warped them at my first track day. I went to the dealer and the replacements are, READY???, $436 each !!!!

Check this out !!! After I heard this. I called the shop that did my coilovers, exhaust and wheels. They sell the Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit, 13.1" Rotors with Larger calipers than the Track Package. It's a much better brake, AND the replacement rotors are half the price, AND it does fit under the 17" or 18" factory package.

I just had the kit installed and its really trick. The pedal feels better and the braking power almost hurts.

How is buying a $2600 big brake kit a better deal than even replacing the front OEM rotors??? Even if you pay for them, you spend about $900. Wait till you have to replace one of those Gran Turismo rotors.... they are about $800 each.

If you warped your rotors, why didn't the dealer replace them under warranty?

Also, are you sure they were warped? Many times, brake pad deposits on the rotor will make them feel like they are warped. These deposits happen when the rotors/pads are hot and you hold your foot on the brake pedal, or if you cook the brakes coming into a turn.

Also, you can get replacement rotors at Stillen.com, slotted or cross-drilled, for the Track model. The front pair is about $500. The rear pair is about $450.

PeteH
Old 02-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Audito350Z

Originally posted by n3985
Wait...so the Gran Turismo kit, 355x32 right? WILL fit under a stock wheel?
The 13.1" rotor is 332mm. It should fit under any 18" and most 17" wheel.

PeteH
Old 02-14-2003, 04:54 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason it's so damn expensive is because you ordered them from the dealer. I can't imagine a set of Brembo blanks costing more than $100 each if you shop around (call Colletti Motorsports, or even NOPI *gasp* I know, but they sell Brembo blanks).
Old 02-14-2003, 05:57 AM
j's350z

Stillen sells slotted/cross drilled rotors for the track for $460 for the pair....................A little cheaper than your set up... Are you selling your stock calipers????
Old 02-14-2003, 08:43 AM
350on19inchVolk

Default Re: Re: Replacement Rotor for Track Package

Originally posted by Audito350Z
How is buying a $2600 big brake kit a better deal than even replacing the front OEM rotors??? Even if you pay for them, you spend about $900. Wait till you have to replace one of those Gran Turismo rotors.... they are about $800 each.

Also, are you sure they were warped? Many times, brake pad deposits on the rotor will make them feel like they are warped. These deposits happen when the rotors/pads are hot and you hold your foot on the brake pedal, or if you cook the brakes coming into a turn.

Also, you can get replacement rotors at Stillen.com, slotted or cross-drilled, for the Track model. The front pair is about $500. The rear pair is about $450.

PeteH
Old 02-14-2003, 09:01 AM
350on19inchVolk

Default Re: Re: Replacement Rotor for Track Package

Originally posted by Audito350Z

PeteH
Audito,

1) I dont mind spending the initial money to get a FAR supperior Braking System.

2) The replacements rotor for the Brembo's are only $276each Retail. Much cheaper than stock.

3) Brembo blanks are usually really inexpensive. In this case only, Nissan has exclusive right to these blanks and they decide the retail price. Neither Brembo North America, or RaceTechnologies(Brembos Mater Distributer) have access to these.

4) Yes, they were warped. Pad transfer (uneven deposits of pad material) is most common durring break in. I had over 3000 miles on these pads and rotors. I also know better than to sit with my foot on the brake when not moving. I always take a cool down lap befor entering the pits and then use the E-brake to slow down and first gear to stop.

5) I have seen the Stillen Replacements. I haven't had good results with Stillen Brakes in the past on another car. They wouldn't tell me who manufactured the discs. I heard they we Wilwood (possibly a rumor), but they wouldn't even say.

Thanks for the insight on the other possibilties of what may have happened. I was planning on upgrading to Brembo GT in the future, I was just forced to do it a little early and I was extremely shocked to see how much the dealer wanted and that they were exclusive for the Brembo blanks.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2003, 09:22 AM
350on19inchVolk

Originally posted by Hedonist
The reason it's so damn expensive is because you ordered them from the dealer. I can't imagine a set of Brembo blanks costing more than $100 each if you shop around (call Colletti Motorsports, or even NOPI *gasp* I know, but they sell Brembo blanks).
Hedonist,

I know. I have a shop I buy Brembo blanks from. I can even get Brembo Factory Drilled or Slotted(drilled or slotted by Brembo) for less than $100 each.

If anyone knows a way to get Brembo blanks for the 350Z they will make a killing. I'll do a huge buy with someone if they can find them. All the G35's that come in a stick have the Brembo's and 40% of the Nissans sold have the track package.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:41 AM
John

Default Re: Re: Re: Replacement Rotor for Track Package

2) The replacements rotor for the Brembo's are only $276 each Retail. Much cheaper than stock.

3) Brembo blanks are usually really inexpensive. In this case only, Nissan has exclusive right to these blanks and they decide the retail price. Neither Brembo North America, or RaceTechnologies(Brembos Mater Distributer) have access to these.
Wow, I had no idea Nissan bought the exclusive rights to this size rotor (bastards!). I didn't think that this rotor was unique to the 350Z Track models, but could be found on another early 90s vehicle (BMW 850?). Don't quote me on that...

So which replacement rotor is $276?
Old 02-14-2003, 11:06 AM
redfox

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacement Rotor for Track Package

Wow, I had no idea Nissan bought the exclusive rights to this size rotor (bastards!). I didn't think that this rotor was unique to the 350Z Track models, but could be found on another early 90s vehicle (BMW 850?). Don't quote me on that...

They are not exclusive to the 350Z. 350Z track version has the exact same braking system as the Skyline GTR.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:07 AM
350on19inchVolk

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacement Rotor for Track Package

I didn't think that this rotor was unique to the 350Z Track models, but could be found on another early 90s vehicle (BMW 850?). Don't quote me on that...

There's two different Brembo Gt kits for the 350z and G35.
1) 13.1" (332mm) Drilled & Slotted w/ 4 piston F50 caliper.
2) 14" (355mm) Drilled or Slotted w/ 4-piston F50 caliper.

Retail on the 332mm replacements are $338 retail and the 355mm are $345 retail. I may get in trouble for quoting the $276 price. Because I purchased the Brake kit, and many other upgrades, i did receive a discount from the shop.

Although not cheap by any means, even the 355mm replacements are more than $100 less than the factory smooth rotors.

I also did some research to see if the rotor is shared with any other vehicl and found nothing. I did check the 850 (as you mentioned) as well as Nissan Skyline, Sylvia, Japanese Integra R and others. No such luck.

Even though the initial purchase orf the brake kit was over $2500 it is the best upgrade I have done, and will do in the future on other vehicles.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:13 AM
350on19inchVolk

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacement Rotor for Track Package

Originally posted by redfox
They are not exclusive to the 350Z. 350Z track version has the exact same braking system as the Skyline GTR.
Redfox,

You may be right. I know the calipers are the same for sure. I have been told by Brembo North America that the rotors are different but I would like to get a second opinion.

Do you know for sure if the rotors are the same??
Old 02-14-2003, 11:17 AM
redfox

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacement Rotor for Track Package

Redfox,

You may be right. I know the calipers are the same for sure. I have been told by Brembo North America that the rotors are different but I would like to get a second opinion.

99%, I have the technical specification of the two side by side somewhere. It was also mentioned in Options Magazine, that they borrowed the braking system from the GTR. Let me see if I can find that piece of information and post it.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:27 PM
John

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacement Rotor for Track Package

Originally posted by redfox
I don't know if it's the exact same system, but I know the calipers are identical to the one on the Brembos on the R32 V-Spec Skyline (Andie @ Cobalt Friction told me this back in October). I remember reading that the R33 & R34 Skylines with the Brembo brakes had a smaller rotor size, but the difference was minimal, but that information could be incorrect. The R32 GTR V-Specs used a 324mm front rotor and a 300mm rear rotor. What are the Z's Brembo rotor sizes again?
Old 02-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Audito350Z

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacement Rotor for Track Package

Redfox,

As for the rotors, what you want to look at is what is the offset of the hat, or the center part of the rotor. On different applications, the rotor will be in a different position in space relative to it's center section.

So, the brakes on the Skyline may be the same, but the rotor may not be a direct replacement to the 350Z because of the design of the rotor on the Skyline.

I'm guessing a Brembo F40 is a Brembo F40, no matter what car it is on.

PeteH
Old 02-14-2003, 01:12 PM
max2000jp

Why hasnt anyone noted that YOU CAN TURN THE ROTORS FOR $20 and put performance pads on........That will take care of the warpage, which really isnt warpage in the first place. The rotors have pad residue on them, which will be fixed when you turn them.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:04 PM
valuetl

Turning Rotors is a band aid approach. Why did they warp in the first place. Unable to displace enough heat. Excess loads. Pad material insufficent for braking demands??? People underestimate the importance of brakes on the Track. I really fell the skyline rotors are not the same or there would be brake kits all over the place all ready.