Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Fully built/sleeved VQ pics..

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So what are you putting this into? 900whp at the front wheels?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Trav4011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's going into a FWD Maxima drag car..
Old 06-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you think of this idea ?

The 2 screw in plugs in the top of the cylinder head (the ones that are utilised in the head strengting mod) are directly above probably the hotest spots in the cylinder head.

There is uninterupted access above these to the cam covers.

Now a suitably designed threaded hollow pipe could be used to strengthen the head as well as allow for water outlets (inlets?) at a known hot spot.

The cam covers would need to be modified to allow the pipes through but that would not be to difficult, just need to be sealed for oil. ( something simmiler to the the spark plug tube sealing)

The external plumbing ? I havn't thought that far ahead.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:57 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good idea, just need to figure out how the water would flow through the system after these additions were installed.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:36 PM
UK-Nissan

Up the water pressure to prevent cavitation in the head passages, after all BMW use 1.9 Bar, while NISMO sticks to 1.3, that gives quite a margin.

Mike
Old 06-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Trav4011

Higher coolant system pressure was one of the options that we're looking at. I am going to go ahead and order the L19 studs from Sharif (pronounced: Shareef.. ), and that should definately help us out.

Travis
Old 06-06-2006, 07:36 AM
overZealous1

i chased all the coolant passages yesterday on the VQ35. the only possible problem i saw was the water inlet going into the block is kinda small and near the deck of the block in the front. flow then runs to the rear with very small steam passages in the gasket to the head. then the water transfers back to the head at the rear where it exits again. the water inlet for the head is essentually the same passage as feeding the block, then it to flows front to rear. i did find there is room to drill for a fitting at the rear of each head to vent or evacuate steam. might give it a shot, but not sure it would help much.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:04 PM
UK-Nissan

Does this article help any??

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...00zx_part_vii/

Mike
Old 06-06-2006, 04:06 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by UK-Nissan

dammit jim!!! (in dr. bones voice) thats exactly what i have been planning to do to mine, lol.
good article though, and yes, there is a ton of alum flashings in the water pump passages on the VQ35 too.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:39 PM
mchapman

Originally Posted by overZealous1
i chased all the coolant passages yesterday on the VQ35. the only possible problem i saw was the water inlet going into the block is kinda small and near the deck of the block in the front. flow then runs to the rear with very small steam passages in the gasket to the head. then the water transfers back to the head at the rear where it exits again. the water inlet for the head is essentually the same passage as feeding the block, then it to flows front to rear. i did find there is room to drill for a fitting at the rear of each head to vent or evacuate steam. might give it a shot, but not sure it would help much.
Did you read Nathans post above regarding something similar to that coolant manifold you showed in that picture but using the same area as the head strengthening mod.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:53 PM
UK-Nissan

Apparently the 3 litre DE-K had a seperate thermostat for the head and the VQ35 castings still have the passages for that, it may need some machining though. Also Nissan designed the heads to run warm for emmissions purposes I believe. Its a problem with the SR20 engine, except for one guy who reversed the flow through the block, he can never get his engine warm enough on the racetrack in the tropics.

Mike
Old 06-07-2006, 07:36 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by mchapman
Did you read Nathans post above regarding something similar to that coolant manifold you showed in that picture but using the same area as the head strengthening mod.
there is room to drill holes under each intake runner, and that would be the highest point in the head, now maybe running that to a bubble tank may help. but there is alot more water running through the heads than the block. hard to say where the problem actually is. i may just try to port the water passages and do most of the other thermal coatings as outlined in the jwt article above.
i am researching a full 3" core dual pass radiator right now. there is room (with the greddy ic atleast) for 3" thick push fans in front of the radiator pack which you could prolly stuff 2 16" fans there. then still a little room to do a couple thin 10"ers on the backside still too. this set up prolly wouldn't work for s/c but fine for most turbo kits. add a good oil cooler in there also, and i could not imagine anyone overheating a cooling system like that.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

You guys are killing me! Hold on...dont drill/modify/tap anything yet. I am about to post about an OEM solution that does exactly what you are guys are describing, with parts that anyone can pick up from the Nissan dealer!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:17 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
You guys are killing me! Hold on...dont drill/modify/tap anything yet. I am about to post about an OEM solution that does exactly what you are guys are describing, with parts that anyone can pick up from the Nissan dealer!
Sharif, been lurking on this thread for a bit. Lots of good info. I am looking forward to this potential solution. Do you think it would be a good idea for my beefy Greddy setup? My engine should be completed this week, they already have the 1/2" ARP studs installed & the ceramic coatings were just finished) and I would be interested in anything that will keep the block cooler.

Let us know when/where you post this solution.
--B
Old 06-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by BamBam
Sharif, been lurking on this thread for a bit. Lots of good info. I am looking forward to this potential solution. Do you think it would be a good idea for my beefy Greddy setup? My engine should be completed this week, they already have the 1/2" ARP studs installed & the ceramic coatings were just finished) and I would be interested in anything that will keep the block cooler.

Let us know when/where you post this solution.
--B
I am just uploading the pictures now....give me a few moments..new thread coming.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Trav4011

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Sharif.. He's been really helpful with our VQ project.. I ordered a set of L19 studs from him at 5pm yesterday, and recieved them at 9am this morning. Excellent service, and great to deal with! Thanks again man..

Travis
Old 06-08-2006, 06:34 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Trav4011
Just wanted to give a big thanks to Sharif.. He's been really helpful with our VQ project.. I ordered a set of L19 studs from him at 5pm yesterday, and recieved them at 9am this morning. Excellent service, and great to deal with! Thanks again man..

Travis
Your welcome Travis. Best of luck with the project...keep us posted.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Apex2986

Originally Posted by Trav4011
It's going into a FWD Maxima drag car..
LMAO! what a waste. no offense, badd *** set-up though
Old 06-08-2006, 09:54 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i <3 maxima's
Old 06-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Trav4011

Originally Posted by Apex2986
LMAO! what a waste. no offense, badd *** set-up though
Why is it a waste? It's going into a fully prepped drag car..

Quick Reply: Fully built/sleeved VQ pics..