Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NISMO GT LSD Not Working Right ?

Old 06-04-2006, 03:54 AM
mistaboosta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NISMO GT LSD Not Working Right ?

Hi

I've recently installed a Nismo GT LSD to my car. I did the break in (doin 8s for 20 minutes) and used it easy for 400 miles. So i decided to give it a real try today.

In straight line acceleration i didn't realize any gains traction wise. I'm only pushing 1-2 psi but still i dont have anything but tyre slip @ 1st and 2nd gear just the same as before the LSD installation. The tires I'm using is Micheline PS2. I'm using HKS LSD oil which includes friction modifier in it. Also the LSD had a popping sound when i first installed it during full turns but now it is making such a slight noise that mostly i cant hear it. Do you think that I've a problem with my LSD? or can it be because of the locking percentage (hope i'm talking about the right thing) ??

I did some research but couldn't find satisfying information which fulfills my answers so I decided to post my own thread.

Thanks for all inputs
Old 06-04-2006, 09:24 AM
daytona350z

you probably wont gain much more straightline traction unless u upgraded from a non lsd base model. you will mostly notice better cornering stability and a more planted rear while exiting corners.

poping noises and shuddering at low speeds is completely normal. try using redline 75-90 diff oil. and if you wanna lessen the noise more, go to kragen or pep boys and buy a bottle of "sta-lube" friction modifier and add it to the rear end when u replace thefluid.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:20 PM
mistaboosta

no i dont mean that.

There is no noise coming from my LSD, i was concerned if it was in good shape coz it makes no popping or other noise

yes i did have the gains you mentioned about. I dont know what to do else to have more straight line acceleration. Last night i was in a twin turbo vette with the same wheels and tires as mine, it had such a hard acceleration in second gear that i was jelous.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:24 PM
chimmike

a limited slip isn't going to improve straight line acceleration, it just evenly divides the power to both rear wheels.....of course you're still going to get wheelspin in a straight line man. try fatter tires, or drag radials
Old 06-04-2006, 02:46 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by mistaboosta
no i dont mean that.

There is no noise coming from my LSD, i was concerned if it was in good shape coz it makes no popping or other noise

yes i did have the gains you mentioned about. I dont know what to do else to have more straight line acceleration. Last night i was in a twin turbo vette with the same wheels and tires as mine, it had such a hard acceleration in second gear that i was jelous.
im guessing the vette has longer gears thus a "harder" pull in his 2nd gear.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 AM
mistaboosta

hmm thanks man that explains my situation.

how will i know if i'll need a diff cooler?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. if you are street driving the car, or tracking it in anything less than 90 degree heat constantly for 30 min + sessions, you don't need a cooler

your car has some serious power to it...it's not going to get much better straight line by installing an aftermarket LSD. You can try a bit less rear camber though, as that will help

Are you from Kuwait by chance?

No LSD noise is a good thing! Don't complain
Old 06-06-2006, 10:08 AM
johnlotusboy

Less camber, proper tire inflation, proper front rebound setting on shocks so you get weight transfer. I'd run 1.2ish negative camber, if your running Koni's runn full soft with that heavy of wheel and tire package. Tire inflation depends on load range of current tire vs. OEM.