Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

mods!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 08:24 PM
russell13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mods!

Hi, My name is Russell, Ive posted a few times, but now im getting serious about doing some mods to my car. Im thinking cams, tests pipes, and intake, and a plenum spacer, maybe pullies? I have a few questions if i keep a stock exhaust will the test pipes add a lot of noise? And for the cams jim wolf, or nismo? and for the header? im lost! lol if anyone can help id be really thankful, i want some good hp gains but not to ridiculously loud that i cant have a convo in the car! thanks for the help!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you get resonated test-pipes your exhaust wil be slightly louder with no rasp. Non resonated = slightly louder with rasp. If I had to do headers Id do Crawfords, cams Id do JWT, Ive had a UR crank puley for over 30K miles no issues. BTW go for a nice plenum spacer- www.alteredatmosphere.com has a nice angled one-retains stock strut bar and engine cover. And you'll be in serious need of a tune, so look into a UTEC or ecu flash. BTW why no exhaust especially with all those mods? If you want to keep the stock muffler fine, but at least do a y-pipe. AAM has a nice one you may want to look into....
Old 03-25-2006, 04:45 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Loud is relative. The theory about noise and exhaust is pretty simple. The more free flowing the exhaust system, the more noise it will make. Replacing catalytic converters with test pipes improves exhaust flow, so yes, it will be more noisy than stock.

Go to a 350Z meet and listen to various set ups before buying.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:54 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
Loud is relative. The theory about noise and exhaust is pretty simple. The more free flowing the exhaust system, the more noise it will make. Replacing catalytic converters with test pipes improves exhaust flow, so yes, it will be more noisy than stock.

Go to a 350Z meet and listen to various set ups before buying.

^^ agree with this ..

but my nismo setup is quiet and it sounds beautiful ....
Old 03-25-2006, 05:17 AM
russell13

Hey thanks thats a really good idea, go to a z meet and check out everyones set ups. And i dont want an aftermarket exhaust cause ive heard a few and i really just like the classic sound of the z, i think its almost its signature. when i hear that sound i know its a z otho a g35 can trick me every once in a while! lol. But the y pipe sounds like a good plan. but with the headers and cams? does anyone have a big preferance?
Old 03-25-2006, 05:53 AM
Jaki

Russel, there's a big all-nissan meet in Fort Lauderdale next weekend April 1st. Our entire South FLorida Z Car Club will be there. You should come and check it out, among the members you will see pretty much every mod available for the 350Z. You can always see and here the mods personally, and you could always talk to the owners about their mods. Here's a link to the thread of the meet: http://www.sfzcc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2917

About the mods, I've had many of those back when I was N/A, and still have a few now that I'm FI. Cams, I don't have any personal experience with them yet, but I've heard great things about the JWT S2 cams. Test pipes, be sure to get some resonated one's. I currently have the Kinetix resonated test pipes, but one of them has a small crack, so I'm thinking about getting the Ichiba resonated test pipes. Its a brand new company, and from the pics they've sent me, they look to be great quality parts. If you want to see pics of them, let me know, and I can send them to you. Headers, I had the Crawford headers, and absolutely loved them. However, they are the priciest header out there. They run about $1200. Ichiba makes headers as well, for $339. If you don't mind spending that much money on the crawfords, then I'd say go for it, if you do, then the Ichiba headers look great. Intake, I bought the Injen and the JWT Popcharger and tested both out. I honestly didn't feel a difference, so I stayed with the JWT popcharger (its only $110). Pullies, I got the UR Pulley Set. The crank pulley gives you the most power, while the rest just give you an additional 2-3hp. Not a big difference, but neither is the price difference, and the full set does look a little nicer. Plenum spacer, I got the Motordyne 5/16" Isothermal plenum spacer. It keeps the engine nice and cool, and clears the factory strut bar and engine cover. All the plenum spacers and plenums will give you pretty much the same power, but I chose this one because of the isothermal gasket that keeps the engine running cooler. Now I would really suggest to get a aftermarket exhaust. There are many exhausts out there that sound great, but if you're dead set on keeping the stock exhaust, then like someone else mentioned, at least get the y-pipe. I never had a aftermarket y-pipe because I went with a full true dual exhaust. A member on here just installed the Ichiba y-pipe the other day and had nothing but great things to say about it, and it only costs $219. Here's a link to a shop selling all the Ichiba products (starts at bottom of page 1 and goes on to top of page 2): http://hpautoworks.chainreactionweb....5ef2c02b68342e
Old 03-25-2006, 11:45 AM
russell13

Ok so im getting a better idea of what to do here. I think im going to get an AAM intake plenum spacer. The intake brand i dont think much matter, just kind of a preferance thing. Cams im a little worried with the jwt cams because they say right on the site that cars stall and you need to change the ecu, but the nismo cams say that no ecu changes have to be made. Just sounds more practical. headers Im suprised how much of a difference in price there are? The like 400 dollar sets kind of scare me, there are some mid level guys like stillen, and the big priced guys like crawford and nismo! Im a believer of you get what you pay for, is this true with the performance parts? and i think i'll pick up a set of test pipes, and a y-pipe. With the UR pulley set. If i decide to go FI eventually the only thing i think i'll have to remove is the intake right?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Jaki

"What you pay for is what you get" is true about 90% of the time. I'm a strong believer of that myself, and if you look through my mod list, you can see that I go with some of the best brands. I rather save up a month longer and then get the better part, than to cheap out and get a low quality part. However, there are some instances where a company is brand new and they have to give out low prices, or nobody will buy from them because they're new and haven't proved themselves yet. The DC Sports headers have been out for a long time now, and they run for $400. Many people have them and love them.

About the FI part, it really depends on what type of FI you go with. If you go TT, then you won't be able to run headers and intake. If you go ST (TN), then you will be able to use some headers, but not the intake. Also, I believe TN makes a kit that eliminates the stock cats and one that can use them. I'm not sure exactly how that part works, so one of the TN owners can chime in about that. If you go with a roots type SC (like stillen) then you won't be able to use the pullies and the plenum spacer. If you go with a centrifugal SC then you won't be able to use the pullies and the intake.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:59 PM
ichibausa

Originally Posted by Jaki
Russel, there's a big all-nissan meet in Fort Lauderdale next weekend April 1st. Our entire South FLorida Z Car Club will be there. You should come and check it out, among the members you will see pretty much every mod available for the 350Z. You can always see and here the mods personally, and you could always talk to the owners about their mods. Here's a link to the thread of the meet: http://www.sfzcc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2917

About the mods, I've had many of those back when I was N/A, and still have a few now that I'm FI. Cams, I don't have any personal experience with them yet, but I've heard great things about the JWT S2 cams. Test pipes, be sure to get some resonated one's. I currently have the Kinetix resonated test pipes, but one of them has a small crack, so I'm thinking about getting the Ichiba resonated test pipes. Its a brand new company, and from the pics they've sent me, they look to be great quality parts. If you want to see pics of them, let me know, and I can send them to you. Headers, I had the Crawford headers, and absolutely loved them. However, they are the priciest header out there. They run about $1200. Ichiba makes headers as well, for $339. If you don't mind spending that much money on the crawfords, then I'd say go for it, if you do, then the Ichiba headers look great. Intake, I bought the Injen and the JWT Popcharger and tested both out. I honestly didn't feel a difference, so I stayed with the JWT popcharger (its only $110). Pullies, I got the UR Pulley Set. The crank pulley gives you the most power, while the rest just give you an additional 2-3hp. Not a big difference, but neither is the price difference, and the full set does look a little nicer. Plenum spacer, I got the Motordyne 5/16" Isothermal plenum spacer. It keeps the engine nice and cool, and clears the factory strut bar and engine cover. All the plenum spacers and plenums will give you pretty much the same power, but I chose this one because of the isothermal gasket that keeps the engine running cooler. Now I would really suggest to get a aftermarket exhaust. There are many exhausts out there that sound great, but if you're dead set on keeping the stock exhaust, then like someone else mentioned, at least get the y-pipe. I never had a aftermarket y-pipe because I went with a full true dual exhaust. A member on here just installed the Ichiba y-pipe the other day and had nothing but great things to say about it, and it only costs $219. Here's a link to a shop selling all the Ichiba products (starts at bottom of page 1 and goes on to top of page 2): http://hpautoworks.chainreactionweb....5ef2c02b68342e
Jaki is very nice persin and he talked the truth

Here is the link
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195811