Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Good News: ECU outlook good

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 07:03 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

What would the optimal A/F mixture be if running a SC or TT?
Old 05-13-2003, 07:24 AM
can350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU upgrades....

Had my 96 Maxima 5 spd ECU upgraded by JWT via Cattman Performance... Lots of midrange power was gained.. Was very happy with the results.. Looking forward to the Z upgrade when ready... makes the car that much more fun to drive.... Only beef I had was removal of the ECU, sending to JWT and re-install.. all this took several weeks... :-(
Looking forward to hopefully an easy flash or quick turnaround for the Z ECU...

R
Old 05-13-2003, 09:41 AM
hokie350

Excellent news. I am already stuffing the "war chest" with cash waiting for all of this stuff to come out. Then I can put in the trifecta when we find out how they all work with the new ECU. Keep us posted!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:22 AM
all_bark

After this is all finished I would like to just bring my car up to him.

Will he do the work that way as well? How far is his shop from san diego?

And if he has the ecu mapping completely set up and running properly what would be your estimate on how long he would need the car to properly tune it?
Old 05-14-2003, 08:31 AM
jooklum99

You have my attention too. Just waiting for some of those numbers. The dyno would be great, too. It's not ALL about peak HP, we want more throughout the RPM range.

Nevertheless, I'm all ears.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:26 AM
MATIX

Cheston, how does this ECU flashing differ from the topsecret setup, which is using an HKS F-Con Pro in conjunction with the stock ecu...in other words, what are the advantages of the technosquare ecu as to just goin out and buying the HKS unit??
Old 05-16-2003, 05:57 AM
Ethan

Matix,

The HKS F-Con Pro works in conjunction with the original ECU. With the HKS, you either need to have a harness that allows the F-Con to read and modify the signals or you would have to splice directly into the harness. An ECU reflash/chip doesn't require this. Furthermore, the ECU reflash will allow you to modify all values that the factory ECU controls whereas with other units that either work alongside the factory ecu (piggybacks) or complete ecu replacements, you now use their software to modify the variables.

Regards,

Ethan Fisher
FisherSpeed
Old 05-17-2003, 11:21 PM
joeshow750

I was thinking: Since Techno is doing ECU, exhaust, intake, and test pipes (maybe some other stuff too), I would think maybe offering a package deal group buy would be nice. This way you guys can figure out the best combo of ECU programming vs intake vs exhaust etc., and then we buy the combo. That way I make 1 order instead of 4...I'm sure Techno is plenty busy as it is.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:51 AM
MATIX

Cheston, I'm interested in providing the ecu for an enthusiast, I PM'ed you but your box is full.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:54 AM
jritoli

Default ECU

At this point what is your best guess as the to availability of the ECU changes? Where is TechnoSquare located in L.A.?
Old 05-18-2003, 07:52 AM
Zspot

PM is full.....

I am interested in helping! I have a performance model.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:57 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C, good luck on the dyno!
Old 05-19-2003, 01:21 PM
jeffw

Default Throttle Fall-off?

I was wondering if the throttle fall-off could be increased via the new ECU (when lifting the accelerator)?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-22-2003, 08:41 AM
overZealous

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: TechnoSquare ECU Thread *sticky me*

Originally posted by Chebosto

4-29-03

You know how everyone is slapping on intakes and the car first gains power but then the hp goes away? Its due to a feedback control loop the ECU has for Fuel and Ignition timing... this is a new system Nissan has in all its New (2003+) cars... this number is a preset value which will tell the car to go back to its original state when it senses changes...
If you add more airflow through intake and exhaust mods then in order to "get back to it's original state" the ECU must compensate with more fuel. This is exactly what we wanted to happen when we modded the intake and exhaust. Are you saying that the ECU will then make additional changes to decrease the power such as retarding the timing? Why would it? If the AF ratio is good, large amounts of unspent fuel are not flowing out the exhaust and the motor is not knocking what would be the benefit. I suppose the ECU could severly retard the timimg which cause unburned fuel to flow out the exhaust as monitored by the O2 sensors which would then trigger the ECU to lean out the mixture or close the intake valve earlier which would result in a totally ineficient operation of the motor. It doesn't make any sense.

The ECU can not physically dial back the amount of air flow you are receiving. BUT the engine computer CAN alter the amount of flow of fuel to counter act the more air.... more air flow with the same amount of fuel is by definition LEAN. So the car senses a LEAN(-er) air flow and counter acts this with more FUEL, ending up with a near normal air to fuel ratio and thus cutting the power gains.
You said it yourself. More airflow yields more fuel to maintain the same AF only you conclude that this cuts power. This condition should result in more power.

I'm not at all trivializing your work with the ECU. I think it is great. I may be the first lined up to buy one. I am just doubting your conclusions that more power cannot be made with the stock ECU. Look what Stillen and others have achieved with intake and exhaust mods and a stock ECU.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:00 AM
jelledge

Default The DYNO will tell all....

I agree that some of the arguments don't make sense. Probably because no one knows for sure what the Nissan engineers did and why.

Bottom line will be does the new ECU program make power and keep gains with added mods.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:51 PM
ZZZ-35

Nissan engineers have many way's of managing maximum power output of the engine ie; controlling the throttle opening (electronic throttle), cam timing, via hydralic variable cam timing, igintion timing and fuel ratio, this part of the ECU program is commonally call the torque management loop.
If is part of the ECU program is changed then yes your mods will maintain there power gains and yes I belive TechnoSquare has fixed that problem with the new ECU program.

Chebosto

Will the modified Technosqare generic ECU flash program/data be available for sale together with their eprom writer and would it be suitable for the Australian spec. cars, we are runnig on 91 octane gas also can there ECU interface download the factory mapping for saving prior to modifing the ECU.

David
Old 05-29-2003, 07:52 AM
Ez350

HEY! Not to be bumping this to the to just for bumpings sake, BUT

BUMP!

HEY!!!! Chebosto! Where are you man?

Can't a brother get an update? We haven't heard from you in two weeks. I know you haven't been just sitting around doing nothing for two weeks.

What's going on? How's the chip? Any new developments? Any more info (like cost?)? Arrival date?

I tried being patient.....and boost it all....it didn't work.

Old 05-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry for the lack of replies..
i've been away for business...

so here goes some answers....

To ZZZ-35:
David-- yes. it should be suitable to your Aussie-spec Cars. the Eprom Writer are for sale normally for tuner shops and carries a heafty price tag... if you're interested in doing your own tuning, then yes, you can do it. but as you can see from what we've been doing its going to be a hard task and TSI will not tell you where to tune.... (trade secret!!!)

To overZealous:
i understand your concerns, but from what we've seen on the bosch dynos, there is a retardation happening with the ecu that is limiting the hp output on the stock ecu program.. i respect your comment on the company you mention when you state their sales of exhausts and intakes, but i highly doubt they have the knowledge or the know-how about the tuning of their products and the stock ECU.. i have yet to see any dyno charts on their exhausts systems at initial installation and a few monthes later...

to jeffw:
the throttle body opens increadibly fast electronically, but there is an inherient lag due due to the control system used, but that we can only overcome with a larger throttle body, which i have yet to find .. Q45 TBs are like $700 new.. and i cant afford that right now for just a 0.05second increase in throttle response.. the lag you are feeling when you stomp on the gas is the engine itself trying to catch up.. its not going to be a rocket launch even with a cable-throtle setup...

Please see the sticky ECU thread.. i have posted the Dynos this morning..

--Cheston
Old 05-29-2003, 03:13 PM
jeffw

Chebosto,

Thanks for the reply on the throttle opening. What about going the other direction (closing)?

It seems that the throttle stays open a little longer than necessary when lifting my foot off the gas. Most likely, the ECU is closing the throttle slowly to improve emissions.

--
Jeff
Old 05-30-2003, 01:12 AM
Brad4rdHay

Cheston, can you try and explain this to me as I can't quite wrap my head around it.

I realize that you changed the ignition timing and A/F mix and gained some nice power. But how do you stop the ECU from using the new curves as the standard by which to requlate the engines performance...i.e. how do you make the ECU more mod happy.

I plan on putting the Borla daul on my car, and it suposed to get some pretty good numbers, thats why I'm bugging you about this...

Quick Reply: Good News: ECU outlook good