Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

loud noise from trans, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 02:00 PM
nenobrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down loud noise from trans, please help

Who else here gets a loud clackety clank noise from their trans when its in nuetral and the clutch is not depressed. Its gets twice as loud when the a/c is on. Goes away completely when the clutch is depressed. Its really embarassing at stop lights and what not. I took it to the dealer and they said its normal. It used to be semi loud and annoying but now its super loud. I know that its supposed to be louder with a lightweight flywheel. But this is ridiculous. I have an 03 with a new trans, dealer replaced and a jwt lightweight flywheel and matching clutch. Should i make the dealer fix it. I have heard about the throwout bearing being the issue. But not sure. Any body got a definitive answer for me. thanks a ton fellas.

Neno
(holds the clutch in when girls get in my car)
Old 08-18-2006, 02:36 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfectly normal, especially with a lightweight flywheel.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:47 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also.... I'll add some supporting information, since a LOT of people wonder about the same exact thing...

The noise is not caused by the throw-out bearing. A bad throw-out bearing would make noise when you depress the clutch, and it would go away when released, not the other way around.

The phenomenon you are experiencing is called gear rattle or gear lash(and it's normal). It's not "flywheel chatter" like a lot of people call it, as it is not the flywheel making the noise. The lighter flywheel is dampening less of the power spikes from the engine, and more of it is being sent to the tranny when the clutch is engaged (pedal released), which in turn makes the gear noise even louder than it was before the lightweight flywheel. This is also why the noise completely goes away when you disengage the clutch (depress the pedal); You are disconnecting the engine from the transmission(which is what is making the noise).

Now that you know, you should be perfectly happy with the noise. If you don't like the noise you shouldnt have changed from the HEAVY stock dual mass flywheel in the first place. Keeping the clutch pedal depressed for extended periods is a good way to wear out the throw-out bearing, and it is not recommended. (even your owners manual states this).

So do you try to impress the clueless girl or drive the car like it was meant to be driven?

It's your car and your woman, you decide.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:27 PM
wizurd

My car does the same exact thing. Kinda sucks.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Zincognito

I have this problem but its not that serious. I see it as the price to play and im perfectly happy with that!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:58 PM
junl350z

I just had my nismo clutch and flywheel installed.
I was expecting noise/chatter but it is louder than expected.

I have a couple of questions that I hope somebody can answer...
My understanding that if this is the "flywheel chatter" it would begin at a certain rpm and below... is this true? In my case, the chatter is at around 2500RPM.... which is much higher for nismo clutch - at least according to what I've read on this forum... the 2500rpm is closer to the rattle for jwt setup which is alot lighter...
What test can I do to determine if it is really the "flywheel chatter" or something else? Will I hear the chatter if I rev it in neutral? Should I hear it while the car is idling?

The reason i'm asking is that it makes the noise around the same time my exhaust is at its loudest point which makes me think it could be some rattle...

thanks

Last edited by junl350z; 10-06-2006 at 11:06 PM.