Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

I have a problem with my H pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Xx SiFaKa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a problem with my H pattern?

Ok, I have a problem getting into 5th gear. The problem is it feels like 5th gear is like half and inch to the left of wear it should be. If I were to push my shift **** all the way to the left, then push up it will not go in 5th. Instead it will go into this little pocket type thing.

Here is a little pic to give you a better idea.
P.s I really hate the synchros on the 03's. They are a peice of crap. 3rd,4th both grind when shifted into at high rmp's Btw, I got the car this way.
Attached Thumbnails I have a problem with my H pattern?-h-pattern.jpg  
Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by Xx SiFaKa
Ok, I have a problem getting into 5th gear. The problem is it feels like 5th gear is like half and inch to the left of wear it should be. If I were to push my shift **** all the way to the left, then push up it will not go in 5th. Instead it will go into this little pocket type thing.

Here is a little pic to give you a better idea.
P.s I really hate the synchros on the 03's. They are a peice of crap. 3rd,4th both grind when shifted into at high rmp's Btw, I got the car this way.
I just realized I spelled the wrong kind of "wear". I feel so stupid.

Last edited by Xx SiFaKa; 08-29-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:11 AM
RevLimitZ

If I were to push my shift **** all the way to the left, then push up it will not go in 5th.
If you push your shift *** ALL the way to the left and up, it should go into first gear I know what you mean though. If it's still under waranty sounds like it's time for a new tranny on Nissan. If not then either deal w/ the grinding and 5th gear probs until your tranny is shot, then replace it, or go ahead and fork out the $1700 or so (plus install) and get a 009 series tranny (used in the 05 and up models)
Old 08-29-2006, 02:56 AM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by RevLimitZ
If you push your shift *** ALL the way to the left and up, it should go into first gear I know what you mean though. If it's still under waranty sounds like it's time for a new tranny on Nissan. If not then either deal w/ the grinding and 5th gear probs until your tranny is shot, then replace it, or go ahead and fork out the $1700 or so (plus install) and get a 009 series tranny (used in the 05 and up models)
Oh I must have got confused with what I was going to say in a few seconds from that point. Thanks for not being a dick and ripping on me. So it's the tranny?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:43 AM
arizzee

If it's still under warranty, get it replaced for the 3rd and 4th grind. The 5th gear issue is probably just a misaligned shifter guide plate.

I had my tranny replaced under warranty for 3rd gear grind. the new tranny had a similar problem engaging 5th gear. it just needed an adjustment.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:25 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are pushing the stick down while going to the right and getting stuck on the reverse gate.

Chris
Old 08-29-2006, 07:20 AM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
I think you are pushing the stick down while going to the right and getting stuck on the reverse gate.

Chris
No, I'm sorry but I'm not that dumb. Lol, trust me that's not the issue at all. I had a clutch installed about 3,000 miles ago and I'm pretty sure it came from the clutch install.

So if you guys think that something links together from that then say so, thanks.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:24 AM
RandomHer0

I have the same issue on my 03 G35c, I just figured thats the way it was and got used to it. If went over too far its like it was getting stuck on the gate or something I dunno. I'm used to it now and can hit it everytime...
Old 08-29-2006, 07:34 AM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by RandomHer0
I have the same issue on my 03 G35c, I just figured thats the way it was and got used to it. If went over too far its like it was getting stuck on the gate or something I dunno. I'm used to it now and can hit it everytime...
Well right now I'm trying to get a hold of a nissan dealer to see if I'm still under warranty. I really do not like the grinding. It grinds when I down shift into 3rd about 75% of the time, and when I shift into 3rd it grinds 100% of the time and 4th about 50% of the time. It sucks because my last car (1992 accord) grinded most of the time. So I have always delt with bad gears.

I would like to be able to shift into any gear I want with out hearing that annoying sound. Especially when I grind in front of other cars, that's just embarrassing.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:42 AM
RandomHer0

Ah I see, I get no grinding in any gears so it sounds like you have a different problem all together...
Old 08-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Xx SiFaKa

Ok, I have just talked to a guy at Nissan and he said, my warranty is good for 60,000 miles( I have 41,000 so far ), or till mid of 2007. My question now is weather or not any of my mods in my sig will interfere with my warranty?

I'm scheduled for 7 a.m tomorrow. I really hope he doesn't call me and tell me that my warranty was avoided for my mods!

Do you guys think it will???
Old 08-29-2006, 08:09 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My question now is weather or not any of my mods in my sig will interfere with my warranty?
Did the mods cause the transmission problem?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by davidv
Did the mods cause the transmission problem?
No, but I'm not sure if the dealer will try to use that as an excuse to say that they might have caused it.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Put the stock shift **** back on. That's the only mod attached to your tranny so if you take it off, they have no claim that mods caused tranny problems.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a white piece of plastic down under the shift boot that guides it into 5th, sometimes when you mess with the shifter (new shift ****, clutch install, etc) this white piece will turn a bit and not let it shift smoothly up into 5th...

i would have that looked at, its really easy to fix...

ALSO, a lot of peoples grinding gears are due to driving incorrectly, try pushing the clutch in jsut a little bit before you normally would on your shifts. this helps most people...
Old 08-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
there is a white piece of plastic down under the shift boot that guides it into 5th, sometimes when you mess with the shifter (new shift ****, clutch install, etc) this white piece will turn a bit and not let it shift smoothly up into 5th...

i would have that looked at, its really easy to fix...

ALSO, a lot of peoples grinding gears are due to driving incorrectly, try pushing the clutch in jsut a little bit before you normally would on your shifts. this helps most people...
Ya when I got the car I think the guy who owned it before me couldn't drive. Because when I got it the gears were crap.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Put the stock shift **** back on. That's the only mod attached to your tranny so if you take it off, they have no claim that mods caused tranny problems.
I don't have a stock shift ****. Should I just try and get my brotheres stock shift **** of for the day? I have never took these stock ***** off, is it hard?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

momo shift ***** are really easy to get off (harder to install than to remove) and stock shift **** just screws on.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
momo shift ***** are really easy to get off (harder to install than to remove) and stock shift **** just screws on.

Ya my momo is basically half way off right now on the account of it's broken. But do you think this will really be an issue at the dealer? I mean I guess if it's a big deal I could get my brothers stock shift **** off and use it, I'm just scared I might mess something up.

How do I get the boot off?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:23 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stock **** is a pain to unscrew without messing it off, but it does unscrew, right when you unscrew off the ****, then put your hand in the back part of the plastic around the shift boot, pull up on it, it just pops right up, then unplug the AC controls and you are good to go...

Quick Reply: I have a problem with my H pattern?