Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

time for a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
350Z_LEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time for a new clutch

Well, i only have 11k on my 05 z, but seems my clutch is slipping. I guess i used to ride it a lot while practicing launching./shrug Anyway, i have been hearing many people like the ACT clutch. With trying to keep costs minimal, and just basic bolt ons and a hundred shot, which clutch would be a good choice for daily street driving and some occassional drag strip visits?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by 350Z_LEE
With trying to keep costs minimal, and just basic bolt ons and a hundred shot, which clutch would be a good choice for daily street driving and some occassional drag strip visits?
Sorry to hear your clutch is bitting the dust! Many of our customers use the JWT Clutch and/or Flywheel combo with great success. We've also used the ACT clutch kits which work fine, but I prefer the JWT. Either setup will work fine with your setup.

Hope this helps,
Old 09-07-2006, 07:20 AM
MIAPLAYA

I've driven three Zs with the following combos:

Friends: JWT clutch JWT flywheel
Mossy Z: ACT Street Disc and Stage 1 pressure pace and ACT Prolite Flywheel
My Z: ACT Street Disc and Stage 1 pressure place and JWT flywheel

I drove these back to back to back. The quietest setup was the all ACT one. I'm assuming the fact that its a Chromoly flywheel helped since its not using a friction plate. The quicket revving car was also the all ACT one. The ACT Prolite flywheel weighs less then the JWT. My favorite setup overall was the all ACT one as well. In fact were it not for a backorder on the ACT Prolite flywheel at the time I had to switch I would have gotten all ACT. I've also driven other clutches incuding Exedy, ATS, etc and those are all nice but for 500 RWHP or less I wouldn't go with anything else besides the ACT setup. If you are planning to make big power in the future you might want to look at the ACT 6 puck sprung hub disc and Stage 1 Pressure Plate with the ACT Prolite flywheel. Just as streetable as my street disc and holds more power. Z1 Auto www.z1auto.com sells the 6 puck sprung and Prolite flywheel for $865 which is a GREAT deal.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:59 AM
350Z_LEE

cool deal, thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Vinny@VTR

As already stated the JWT Clutch and Flywheel is a great clutch that will handle the abuse of some track time but retain stock feeling daily drivability. We can get one for you at a fairly reasonable price. Call me if you have any questions. 516.942.2996
Old 09-07-2006, 12:12 PM
dougrace zs

I have a used JWT clutch and flywheel that has less then 5000 miles on it
call me if you would like it 615-327-4159

Doug
Old 09-11-2006, 03:07 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I've driven three Zs with the following combos:

Friends: JWT clutch JWT flywheel
Mossy Z: ACT Street Disc and Stage 1 pressure pace and ACT Prolite Flywheel
My Z: ACT Street Disc and Stage 1 pressure place and JWT flywheel.
Assuming you don't ride the clutch, have close to stock power, what is a reasonable range of mileage expectation for any of the following -

1) Stock
2) JWT/JWT
3) ACT/JWT

Assume agressive driving and some track days, occasional drop and running through the gears hard at 5-6k fast shifts.

My stock clutch (g35 6MT Coupe) seems to be on its way out. My 350Z clutch (abused with many bad things in terms of drops, donuts, track use) lasted about 11k miles. At 30k miles now I noticed a little slip in the form of oops I am in 6th gear not 4th and under max right pedal rpms jumped up to 4k from ~1800k then grabbed. G has LSD and Z was Base with open diff.

Just curious what other's experience has been. I was pretty surprised despite the hard use the Z's clutch was very used up before 15k. If I rode it, that would be one thing - but my foot sits by the dead pedal unless I am shifting...

Looking at a new setup now, still a daily driver with some hard use a few days here and there...

Thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 04:33 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by SteveZ
Assuming you don't ride the clutch, have close to stock power, what is a reasonable range of mileage expectation for any of the following -

1) Stock
2) JWT/JWT
3) ACT/JWT

Assume agressive driving and some track days, occasional drop and running through the gears hard at 5-6k fast shifts.

My stock clutch (g35 6MT Coupe) seems to be on its way out. My 350Z clutch (abused with many bad things in terms of drops, donuts, track use) lasted about 11k miles. At 30k miles now I noticed a little slip in the form of oops I am in 6th gear not 4th and under max right pedal rpms jumped up to 4k from ~1800k then grabbed. G has LSD and Z was Base with open diff.

Just curious what other's experience has been. I was pretty surprised despite the hard use the Z's clutch was very used up before 15k. If I rode it, that would be one thing - but my foot sits by the dead pedal unless I am shifting...

Looking at a new setup now, still a daily driver with some hard use a few days here and there...

Thanks

My stock clutch lasted 49k miles if that says anything.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:44 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
My stock clutch lasted 49k miles if that says anything.
Yes, I figure I need to plan on at most about 40k. A lot of the wear came in NYC and in and out of the city. Now I mostly just drive to work and back.
Thanks