Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Turbo cam question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:17 AM
compton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo cam question

ok, just wondering if anybody had a set of turbo cams and no turbo? You see i'm wordering how the car would run if i had a set of turbo cams installed in prep for FI. I've searched a bit but didnt find too much.

thanks, C.P.T.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:50 AM
chimmike

there are no turbo-specific cams, but you don't want a cam that has a lot of overlap. Basically for FI, you want something with good lift, but not a super aggressive duration.

I will be running JWT S2s.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:49 PM
compton

Originally Posted by chimmike
there are no turbo-specific cams, but you don't want a cam that has a lot of overlap. Basically for FI, you want something with good lift, but not a super aggressive duration.

Not quite the answer i am looking for. i understand that there are "no turbo-specific cams" but, i know that there are cam shafts designed to work more efficiently w/turbos. SO, let me re-word my question- if i were to install "turbo cams" say, 6 months prior to FI, how would my car react?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:08 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there was a way to control the nissan variable timing and cam gears it would be possible to make it so the stock cams have little overlap thus gaining lots of power. Overlap in FI = bad. Basically the boost blows out the exhaust valves because its open while the intake valve is open.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Minimal overlap is true....but your lift and duration need to be matched to the snail making the boost, the manifold design, and the shape/flow/velocity of the combustion chambers. It's not a hardened rule that you want "big" lift and "small" duration.

In addition, the numbers given for lift and duration are not the be all and end all either, as they are all being indexed off the machine that manufacturer measures from. The ramp rate of the cam is probably the most important aspect, and that is the type of info only an person experienced with these heads and a wide variety of cams will be able to tell you about.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know, none of the cams avialable except for some wont work with any turbo kit. The JWT S2 and the Scott Performace are the only turbo cams available I think. BTW how different is the JWT S2 cams from the Nismo S2 cams? I know the Nismo S2 are the most agressive NA cams and I believe the JWT S1 cams are the same the the Nismo S1 cams.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:20 PM
chimmike

the jwt S2 cams aren't specific turbo cams, they were made with those in mind that didn't want to have to raise their idle or those 04/05 vehicles that are unable to do so. It's gains are similar to the S1 without the diminished idle quality.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Bullitproof

Scotts cams are specifically ground for turbo applications.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:51 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

cam choice is the last thing you really need to worry about. Pick your method of forced induction, use, power goals, and then go from there. There are plenty of cams that are more than suitable for FI, just depends specifically on your goals and uses - in fact, almost as many as there are NA specific cams

The JWT and Nismo R tune cams are similar, not the same.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:23 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
Scotts cams are specifically ground for turbo applications.

don't be fooled, scotts cams are identical copies of JWT cams.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:08 AM
compton

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
cam choice is the last thing you really need to worry about. Pick your method of forced induction, use, power goals, and then go from there. There are plenty of cams that are more than suitable for FI, just depends specifically on your goals and uses - in fact, almost as many as there are NA specific cams

The JWT and Nismo R tune cams are similar, not the same.

Thanks, i suppose this is more what i am looking for. i will decide my method of forced induction first, but will cams give my hp a significant boost? or are there better things to spend money on when FI? sorry but there is not to much on cams on the forum. i guess people think cam shafts are more for n/a.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:10 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by compton
ok, just wondering if anybody had a set of turbo cams and no turbo? You see i'm wordering how the car would run if i had a set of turbo cams installed in prep for FI. I've searched a bit but didnt find too much.

thanks, C.P.T.
A good "turbo" cam will work fine on an NA car, and will not result in a power loss.

If you are planning a turbo buildup in the future, I would get the JWT C2 cam, which is probably the best current cam for FI, and is also suitable for NA. Very high lift, moderate duration, and minimal overlap. I have used the higher duration Tomei's on my personal car, and wasnt impressed....after we accidentally did the before/after test. We have all of our camshafts listed here: http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=293
Old 09-26-2006, 07:15 AM
compton

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
A good "turbo" cam will work fine on an NA car, and will not result in a power loss.

If you are planning a turbo buildup in the future, I would get the JWT C2 cam, which is probably the best current cam for FI, and is also suitable for NA. Very high lift, moderate duration, and minimal overlap. I have used the higher duration Tomei's on my personal car, and wasnt impressed....after we accidentally did the before/after test. We have all of our camshafts listed here: http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=293
Exactly what i wanted to hear. thanks alot everyone.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

compton - no matter what the motor, the power is made in the heads. If the heads are not set up properly to run the cam, it all will go to hell in a handbasket quickly. So yes, proper head work and cams will be a huge improvement on a turbo car.

Like anything else though, it has to be selected carefully by someone who knows the motors inside and out (from a mechanical standpoint) and who can correctly set you up with the right cam give your needs/wants.

A cam that works well for NA will not work well for FI. A cam that works well for FI will show some moderate gains for an NA car, but those gains will not be nearly as significant as a proper NA cam. As mentioned, it comes down to where you want the power band to be, what the rest of the motor is being setup/built for, and other factors.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:40 AM
silver nismo

Originally Posted by rocks
If there was a way to control the nissan variable timing and cam gears it would be possible to make it so the stock cams have little overlap thus gaining lots of power. Overlap in FI = bad. Basically the boost blows out the exhaust valves because its open while the intake valve is open.
If u have a stand alone ECU, hmmm say the F-con (HKS) u will be able to calm the idle a lil bit so its not verey rough. and by that u can install any cams u want no matter how big they r and then get some good additional results from the F-con.