Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Any tuning shop offering modification packages with advertised results?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:06 PM
hunter6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tuning shop offering modification packages with advertised results?

I've been trolling the site for about 8 months now and one thing I've yet to see is tuning shops offering "package" deals with advertised results. For example, when I used to check out the F-body and Mustang sites they always had vendors offering exhaust x, heads y, and pulley z as a package which resulted in xx horsepower increase, etc, etc.

I notice some shops offering single parts and/or multiple parts that will yield xx horsepower/tq but it leaves me guessing as to what the combination of various parts will provide. Are there any shops out there taking this package approach to selling aftermarket items? For example (hypothetical) a stage one is an aftermarket exhaust and crank pulley that gets you 9hp and quicker revs, stage two includes stage one but adds headers and 3.9 final drive yielding 5 more hp and .2 seconds of your 0-60, and stage three gets you all that plus the MREV2 and a tune for 10 more hp and .3 seconds off your quatermile. I have no idea what actual combos or results would be but I wonder why the smart guys haven't put anything like this together yet? Is it becasue NA modification is truely a waste of time? Or is someone doing it and I'm just not aware?

For those of us looking for solid, predictable gains at a known price I think package deals would be attractive?

My .$02
Old 09-29-2006, 08:46 PM
the7ferret

Old 09-30-2006, 05:36 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Online retailers offer performance mods (such as exhaust) with horsepower claims. The claims are often exaggerated because of the method of testing. Take the worst of 3 base runs. Then the best of 3 after-mod runs them advertise the difference.

I hate the term stage but will for use it as an example. Stage #1 is intake, spacer and exhaust. That mod (without installation) will sell for about $1,300. Few 350Z owners will spend $1,300 at one time. And the results will be at a guess at best.

Contact a local performance shop and I am certain that they will suggest and install a first step.

One of the most popular forum questions is Is it because NA modification is truly a waste of time? My answer is always A waste of time for who?
Old 09-30-2006, 01:42 PM
hunter6

I used the term "stage" merely for illustration, I dislike it as well but it works for the question. As far as the waste of time, call me selfish but it's my time (and money) that I'm concerned about. There's a lot of info out there that is contradictory and I'm interested in learning if there are any sure bets when it somes to modifying your car and getting real performance results.

By the way david v do you do your own work or do you have a good shop? I just moved to your area.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the reason is somewhat simplistic - the typical customer mentality is completely different with an import as it is with a domestic. There are so many different options out there for people, that it's hard for a company to just offer a "stage this" and "stage that". That being said, there are definitive ways to make power on the car depending on one's goals and budgets, and I'm sure any shop/supplier would be more than happy to tailor a package that suits your particular needs. At least, that's how we do it
Old 09-30-2006, 08:53 PM
davidv

I bought my 350Z in 2004, and began drag racing. That season I was running 14.1, 14.2 and 14.3 seconds. I began to mod the car. With practice and mods my times improved: 13.9, 13.8 and 13.7 seconds. This is my third racing season, and my best ET is 13.40 seconds. It might not sound like much, but bettering ET by 1/10 seconds is a big deal: I have won and lost races by 1/1000 seconds.

For simple things like a spacer, my brother-in-law has a garage and tools, I take the car there. For more complicated mods like headers, I have done at a trusted shop.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Advice to new members: listen to davidv if he decides to post in your thread.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:50 AM
hunter6

davidv,

13.4 is impressive. I imagine it has as much (or more) to do with practice as your modifications. Would you be willing to name your trusted shop?

Justin
Old 10-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

davidv has all his mods listed in his signature. In his case it doesn't matter what his shop is. That said, he has posted all that info in the past.

If you click on a member's public profile (click their name) there will be an option to view all threads that member has started.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:30 PM
davidv

Question

Originally Posted by hunter6
I just moved to your area.
What area?

Come to some meets, check out the 350Zs, and race with us:

Alberto, Oasis and BamBam are serious about forced induction and racing.
aceman is one of the fastest naturally aspired drivers that I have met.
xenonk forget more about autocross than I will ever know.

The forum is a good tool, but if you are interested in performance mods, then get out there with us and make the 350Z perform.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:58 PM
hunter6

davidv,

I'm down in Odenton and I appreciate the offer to link up. I'd love to meet you guys and learn all I can. Please let me know when another get-together is happening.

Justin