Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

GReddy turbo kit update

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 09:12 AM
MSGarrett1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LA-Z
Well not that I'm a fan of the car, but for the money a SC Cobra will get you 400HP and beyond for around 40K
Yep . . . and the new 2005 C6 Corvette is likely to produce over 400 hp for around $40,000 and then, a year later the 2006 C6 Corvette Z06 should make over 500hp for around $50,000. I get my info. from Motor Trend, April 2003, pg 96: "Our best guess is that the new car will launch with a 425-horse, 350-cubic-inch engine. Approximately a year later, a Z06 version making around 500 horsepower will take on the exotics from Europe--and Polish off the Dodge Viper. Already, an ulta-powerful development mule called the "Blue Devil" is jetting about GM's test loop, shaking down that next Z06 powerplant." The V8 is likely to be exactly 1/2 of the 1000 hp, V-16 engine unveiled by GM at Detroit's North American International Auto Show in Janurary (in the form of a Cadillac no less).

Personally, I'm hoping the engineers at GReddy or NISMO (with the Garrett GT-series turbo kit hinted at on page 162 of the March 2003 edition of Sport Compact Car) will be able to produce over 400hp w/ a turbo kit priced around $6000 - $8000.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:36 AM
CluelessZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed clarifications and explanations Shawn! Very much appreciated!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 01:33 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GReddy turbo pricing

Originally posted by Street Sports
Although I do not know what the price will actually be, I would plan on it being around 10K. The reason I say this is because the upgrade kit for the 300ZX which is based on TD05-16G turbos with SUS manifolds and 2 Type S wastegates is $6454.44. The kit for the 350Z will be based on TD05-18G turbos. If they use Type R wastegates instead of Type S wastegates in the final production kit, they are $200 extra each which is another $400 added to the kit. If they use an eManage with the kit, that is another $379. They are planning on including new injectors with the kit which should be 6x say $136.36 (the price of GReddy fuel injectors) which is $818.16. Now I do know that they will not use their own injectors, as they do not have the proper side entry injectors. This means that they have to purchase them elsewhere (perhaps Nismo??) which may or may not drive up the price. Now, if it ends up cheaper then great, everybody will be happy. But what you should do is plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

As far as losing business? No way. In case you haven't dealt with GReddy much, let me tell you. I started out importing their products in 1993. Two years later, in 1995, they opened up their U.S. office. I was a dealer right off the bat, obviously. In all that time, I have only been able to get kits I ordered about half of the time. The other half of the time, I have had to backorder them. For every person that does not want to pay that much for a turbo kit, means every person that does won't have to wait as long to get theirs. In either case, GReddy will do their best to keep up with demand. So they won't lose any business, trust me.

And in this whole thing, you have forgotten one very important aspect to this. If GReddy does in fact get this kit CARB certified, they will double their sales. Because who in the world is going to continually pay the labor to take the kit on and off to pass emissions all the time? No one. So from a marketing standpoint, GReddy can't lose.

Shawn @ Street Sport
Very well said