Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Built NA motor w/ Water/Alcohol sprayer

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:14 AM
bfdd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built NA motor w/ Water/Alcohol sprayer

Anyone here running a Water/Alcohol sprayer with a high compression built NA motor? I read that some people think it's only for FI setups, but it seems like it'd be perfect for the guys running high compression on street fuel so they don't have to constantly run race gas.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Q45tech

Why E85 could be a popular acceleration only fuel with just an extra row of small injectors coming in when ever you need a mixture richer than 14.7.

In theory less expensive than pump gasoline but 100+ octane, you would need 50% more E85 flow than the standard gasoline flow [what creates 14.7 AF] to get 12:1 AF for acceleration.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:34 AM
bfdd

Well it just makes sense to me that an Alcohol/Water Injection kit would be helpful on a high compression NA motor. I can't remember who makes the kit I saw for the 350z and I can't even find the kit online atm! but I know they exsist. Has anyone tried this yet? Seems like a good way to use 91/93 octane and run a high compression without worrying to much.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:31 PM
bfdd

bump
Old 10-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Plenty of people use meth injection. I wouldn't emagine too many NA guys do, but it wouldn't hurt. Also, injection kits are for the most part, universal. I took my meth kit off of my Evo and installed it in my 350 about a year ago. Don't have it anymore, but they're a dime a dozen over on the Evo boards.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:13 PM
bfdd

Originally Posted by Subrwho
Plenty of people use meth injection. I wouldn't emagine too many NA guys do, but it wouldn't hurt. Also, injection kits are for the most part, universal. I took my meth kit off of my Evo and installed it in my 350 about a year ago. Don't have it anymore, but they're a dime a dozen over on the Evo boards.
Yeah I know they're abundent as hell in the Evo community. I know how much they help an FI motor, but they should also help a NA motor with high compression too, 11:1 or 12:1. I mean wouldn't it keep the low octane street fuel from detonating at a high compression? It's supposed to be a stand in for constantly running high octane isn't it? I think it'd be quite good for a high compression NA motor. See I'm buying a 350z in December and I plan on building the hell outa the motor over the next 2 years, all NA and I thought this would be a great way to have high compression with Californias **** 91 gasoline.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:09 PM
MIAPLAYA

Spearco is going to be releasing a Z specific kit in the near future but Sharif has already installed the univeral one and could give you some good feedback. More data on it HERE
Old 10-10-2006, 03:51 PM
bfdd

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Spearco is going to be releasing a Z specific kit in the near future but Sharif has already installed the univeral one and could give you some good feedback. More data on it HERE
Yeah bro, I'm just thinking cause I want to build the crap outa my motor after I get my car this December. Do all the bolt ons first after I get a handle on the car, then start building up the motor from there. I was thinking since the alcohol/water sprayer(injection) is supposed to simulate higher octane I thought it might help with high compression with 91 **** gas.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:50 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by bfdd
Yeah bro, I'm just thinking cause I want to build the crap outa my motor after I get my car this December. Do all the bolt ons first after I get a handle on the car, then start building up the motor from there. I was thinking since the alcohol/water sprayer(injection) is supposed to simulate higher octane I thought it might help with high compression with 91 **** gas.
I've honestly never seen it done on a high compression N/A motor but that doesn't mean it won't do anything for you. I would talk with Sharif and see what he thinks.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:39 PM
bfdd

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I've honestly never seen it done on a high compression N/A motor but that doesn't mean it won't do anything for you. I would talk with Sharif and see what he thinks.
You have to admit it kind of makes sense especially with everyone needing to run a higher octane with a high compression motor.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its primarily a cooling agent - it's not going to net a huge difference on an NA car unless you run massive compression, at which point you mind as well just inject alcohol or nitromethane and really make some power

not what you would want to run on a daily driver (at least you dont want to inject meth or alcohol daily) but water would be perfectly safe
Old 10-11-2006, 04:28 PM
bfdd

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
its primarily a cooling agent - it's not going to net a huge difference on an NA car unless you run massive compression, at which point you mind as well just inject alcohol or nitromethane and really make some power

not what you would want to run on a daily driver (at least you dont want to inject meth or alcohol daily) but water would be perfectly safe
Wouldn't it make running 91 octane with high compression safer if you had water injection?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

safer? If the motor is tuned to run on 91, it will run great on 91, and won't run any better on 93, 94 or 100. It's all in the ecu tuning. It is my experience that modern cars, with coil on plug ignitions, would not see any benefit from water injection on an NA setup - on forced induction, its an awesome tuning tool
Old 10-11-2006, 07:14 PM
bfdd

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
safer? If the motor is tuned to run on 91, it will run great on 91, and won't run any better on 93, 94 or 100. It's all in the ecu tuning. It is my experience that modern cars, with coil on plug ignitions, would not see any benefit from water injection on an NA setup - on forced induction, its an awesome tuning tool
I'm talking generally bout running a rich tune of 91 to help it from detonating. I not talkinga bout making more power. Just to be able to run high compression with a street fuel like 91 or 93, like you would with 100 octane. Would it help? I thought it might, but if you're saying it'd do no good I'll take your word for it.