Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2JZ Motor In 350z..

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 06:30 PM
johnnyblaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2JZ Motor In 350z..

Anyone ever done it? I have multiple friends that are heavy into Supra's and do serious modding to street and track driven cars. While we were discussing the usual RB26 swap we came up with an idea to do a 2JZ swap in a 350z. I was skeptical at first and he sold one of the last motors he offered me. Just recently he came across another motor and im thinking about jumping on it just as a project. The reason im considering this is mainly because i have about 60k+ miles on my car and i dont really see much of a point in modding an old motor.

Just wondering what you guys think about this possibility.

*puts on flame jacket for supra haters*
Old 10-08-2006, 06:35 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt do it to a brand new Z... but if your at higher miles like that, I wouldnt say its stupid. I think the VQ35DE boosted would drive better in terms of throttle response, and it would be light and handle better... but you cant really argue with the 2JZ when it comes to big HP... and if installed cleanly it would probably be more serviceable.

However, You will most likely end up loosing all the niceties of the car... and have to ditch all the stock gauges and stuff. Would make a cool drag car? Cost a fortune for sure tho.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:38 PM
sponsorsthisway

I think i remember a post about this quite some time ago if i remember right. I seem to remember the consensus was that it wasn't worth it. I mean there's plenty of turbo kits out there and by the time you put the money into doing a good clean swap and modding the 2jz you could probably fully build the vq just about the same way. Obviously theres more technology out for the 2jz but its also 10 yrs older. I would assume that some of those engines are right around the same milage you have anyway. I don't know. I'm no professional and def not claiming to be but it seems kind of pointless to me when theres so much aftermarket constantly being developed for the vq. just my .02 fyi i am not a supra hater. it is def an awesome machine!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:39 PM
johnnyblaze

Originally Posted by phunk
i wouldnt do it to a brand new Z... but if your at higher miles like that, I wouldnt say its stupid. I think the VQ35DE boosted would drive better in terms of throttle response, and it would be light and handle better... but you cant really argue with the 2JZ when it comes to big HP... and if installed cleanly it would probably be more serviceable.

However, You will most likely end up loosing all the niceties of the car... and have to ditch all the stock gauges and stuff. Would make a cool drag car? Cost a fortune for sure tho.
Stock gauges like the dash cluster or the console right above the navi? Im not too worried about switching out the gauges above the navi because i really wanted to throw some Defi gauges up there instead. Im not going to be tracking the car on any moto X, so losing a bit of the handling due to center of gravity and weight issues doesnt bother me too bad. But having the ability to mod to 600+ without switching internals entices me alot.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:40 PM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of a couple people undertaking a similar project, but I yet to hear of anything substantial materialize from it. like Phunk said, it be good when it comes to big hp, but if you aren't looking for something that is purely a drag car, I would stick to the VQ. If you plan on keeping this your daily driver, I wouldn't even think of changing out the VQ.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:50 PM
johnnyblaze

Originally Posted by jtabraham
I've heard of a couple people undertaking a similar project, but I yet to hear of anything substantial materialize from it. like Phunk said, it be good when it comes to big hp, but if you aren't looking for something that is purely a drag car, I would stick to the VQ. If you plan on keeping this your daily driver, I wouldn't even think of changing out the VQ.
I would think about going into the 500's with the 2jz just to have the straight line speed and to have something over other Z's on the road other than an older motor with a bolt on turbo kit. From what i know about the supra 2jz motor was the fact that it was a good daily driver considering how well it was designed, the motor he has lined up for me has roughly 28,000 miles on it. I've done swaps with Honda's, Integras, Mazda FC's and Supra's, im just a bit worried doing it with my own car
Old 10-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Do it man! Lead the way for others and create something unique! I still think that you could build the motor you have for cheaper, but if you got the cash and time, why not? You're the man if you pull it off
Old 10-08-2006, 07:01 PM
johnnyblaze

Originally Posted by Subrwho
Do it man! Lead the way for others and create something unique! I still think that you could build the motor you have for cheaper, but if you got the cash and time, why not? You're the man if you pull it off
Well my buddy said just buy the parts and his shop will do the install just to undertake something like this and get some recognition for it, so we'll see if our numbers match up, hopefully.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:38 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

yea it would be cool for sure... but maybe it would be cooler if you tried one of the later JDM 2JZs with VVTi and other tech. While this would add to the complexity, it would definatly help dampen the loss of torque when getting rid of the VQ.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Fairlady_z33

Keep the VQ sooner or later youll see its full potential
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 AM
EM-EFER

How much money do you make? Then I can tell you if this is worth discussing.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:06 PM
SaadSindhu

jjust a thought, but do you guys think that the 2jz could even fit well under the hood of a z33? I already have noticed that there isnt much room to work with, especially relative to the supra's engine bay.

Saad
Old 10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the money are gonna spend in doing the swap, you are better off buying a used Supra with the 2JZ already there and build it to the hp #'s you are going for.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:42 PM
cms-35z

As some are saying you could build a better motor of the Z's with less $$ then swap a 2jz. You still have to mod the 2jz. The swap alone would leave you with a heavier 350z that will not be much faster. BPU might make it faster, but your already looking at a car that could be faster for the same amount of $$.
Total waste... other than "Street Cred"
Old 10-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Ghost 350z

I would never put a Toyota motor in a Nissan-----maybe thats just me
Old 10-10-2006, 03:38 AM
k3silk

yeah for all that money i would just build the vq???
Old 10-10-2006, 07:38 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350z
I would never put a Toyota motor in a Nissan-----maybe thats just me
HaHaHa You think the damn VQ is better than a 2JZ-GTE? Keep dreaming.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Valerie@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

The VQ is an amazingly strong motor I would not give that up!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Ghost 350z

Originally Posted by 97supratt
I never said that---but thanks for putting words in my mouth
Old 10-10-2006, 09:34 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Of course it is.

Quick Reply: 2JZ Motor In 350z..