Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Going Synthetic...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tayzzer22
supposedly from the forums, Amsoil is supposed to be the best synthetic oil.. No clue where to get it.. my oil change is coming up and I'm looking into where to get it.. anyone have any suggestions?
It's only sold direct (online) or through private distributors. A quick trip to their site will produce a listing of a few dozen distis in your area. That's how I get mine.

But don't expect to buy 5 quarts though. A disti will usually only sell cases (12 qts).
Old 10-17-2006, 01:50 AM
rAiN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$75 at jiffy lube
Old 10-17-2006, 06:51 AM
nothingremains

how many miles should i have on it before i switch? does it matter what type of oil filter they put in there?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingremains
how many miles should i have on it before i switch? does it matter what type of oil filter they put in there?
I would say at least 15-20k miles.

10k miles my engine was still breaking in.

For oil and filter information, please check the appropriate section in the top 100 questions thread. It's covered in there.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:06 PM
nothingremains

how do u tell if your engine is still breaking in? and wouldnt it have been easier to type a reponse instead of making me dig through the pages of **** here and try to find the anwser?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:08 PM
thirty5ounces

supposedly from the forums, Amsoil is supposed to be the best synthetic oil.. No clue where to get it.. my oil change is coming up and I'm looking into where to get it.. anyone have any suggestions?

all NAPA auto parts stores carry amsoil....check there website and you can find the closest distributer..
Old 10-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by nothingremains
how do u tell if your engine is still breaking in? and wouldnt it have been easier to type a reponse instead of making me dig through the pages of **** here and try to find the anwser?

Dude just do a search on the top 100 questions THREAD for "oil filter" There are only 34 posts in the whole thread... Or use the "Find" feature in your internet browser to search for "oil filter"

It shouldn't take more than 1 minute to find...

Please don't make me do the leg work for you, I spent a lot of time writing a lot for that thread. I'm trying to HELP you, by not being a dick who just says "search noob" ...I told you exactly where to look.

You can tell if your engine is still breaking in by doing a used oil analysis.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 PM
3FITTTY

<--- amsoil 5w-30 here and love it..
Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Tayzzer22

Wired.. I agree that the Top 100 questions is definitely one of the first stops to make when you have a question. And definitely wanted to thankyou for getting it started and writing most of it yourself!! Much props!

There is a question I haven't found on it though.. what are the pros and cons of synthetic vs dino oil? which works better and for which applications, etc.. (I live in Cali so don't have to worry about super cold temps)

Also not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but was wondering about the pros and cons of 5w-30 vs 5w-40 vs 10w-30. All the threads I've read just mentioned that you can use any of the above, but doesn't get into the pros and cons between them.. I know one of the numbers is supposed to be the thickness of the oil..

And thanks guys for the help on where to buy!

Last edited by Tayzzer22; 10-17-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Wired.. I agree that the Top 100 questions is definitely one of the first stops to make when you have a question. And definitely wanted to thankyou for getting it started and writing most of it yourself!! Much props!

There is a question I haven't found on it though.. what are the pros and cons of synthetic vs dino oil? which works better and for which applications, etc.. (I live in Cali so don't have to worry about super cold temps)

Also not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but was wondering about the pros and cons of 5w-30 vs 5w-40 vs 10w-30. All the threads I've read just mentioned that you can use any of the above, but doesn't get into the pros and cons between them.. I know one of the numbers is supposed to be the thickness of the oil..

And thanks guys for the help on where to buy!
The pros of synthetic are basically that it's more resistant to shear-related breakdown (high RPM), more resistant to heat-related breakdown, and often provides better lubricity and better viscosity characteristics than dino oil.

The cons are that for one reason or another, it SEEMS that some people using synth in their 350Z are losing MORE oil with synthetic than with dino oil.

Another con is price.

Dino oil changes are pretty cheap. Synthetic can last a good long time (7500+ miles) but some people are too scared to let it go that long. So they change it out every 3k miles and end up wasting money.

IMO the safest bet is to use dino oil and change it about every 4k miles.

Thanks for the compliment on the thread. I try to help.

5W-30 has the lowest viscosity of oils that you would use in the Z. This can reduce friction and give you a little bit better gas mileage for example. If it gets really hot where you live, 5W-30 will thin out a little bit at high temps. It will also get to operating viscosity faster, so lighter weight oils are better for short trips...

10W-30 has higher viscosity, will provide a little more protection at high temps. But if it gets really cold in your area, it will thicken up on cold days (freezing temps) and take a long time to reach operating conditions.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 10-17-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 AM
NaNa-Papa-J

ROYAL PURPLE ALL THE WAY!! I use RP 10W-30 in the summer and 5W-30 in the winter. As strange as it may sound, I did feel a difference in the engine smoothness...it was better! It looks like you've gotten more than enough guidance on this...which is good. Oil is one of the most important choices for your car, IMO.

Oh, and PEP BOYS sells Royal Purple. As far as filter, I use the Purolator PureOne...I can't find the K&N Gold in my area...I've been told that PureOne is the next best on the market by a couple of mechanics.

...and I've had no oil consumption issues with Royal Purple.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Gering

I use Royal Purple 5w30 and add MILITEC-1. You can feel the difference!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 03:50 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use whatever is cheapest (full synthetic) and easiest to obtain. Likely that will be Mobil 1 5quart container at Walmart for $20. Change your synthetic in your stock motor evey 5000mi and life will be good. Don't sweat which oil your using. If you are turbo or supercharged do it every 3000mi. I don't know why people swear by this and that oil. It's all the same if it's full synthetic. Now I will put on my flame suit because there will be numerous people telling me I'm wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about.

Good Info Here:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 10-21-2006 at 03:53 PM.