Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Tein Flex Coilovers: What should breaking them in feel like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Alev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Flex Coilovers: What should breaking them in feel like?

I just got some Teins installed today. The folks who installed it said I should drive the car for a good three weeks to break the system in, then I can bring it back for possible adjustments if I'd like it softer or firmer.

Right now, with the radio off, I'm hearing a fair number of squeaks when going over bumps small and large. Is this normal? I'm wondering if I just need to keep driving and the squeaks will fade away as the system's broken in, OR should I bring it back and have the installation checked?

Any help from you guys would be great, whether your just familiar with breaking in new suspensions or, better yet, if you have the Teins installed on your Z?

Many thanks in advance...
Old 03-15-2003, 07:29 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shouldn't take more than a few miles at the most for the suspension to settle. Not sure what the squeaks are, so I can't help you there.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Alev

A better way to describe the squeaks I'm hearing: it sounds like someone saying "Shhh" quickly and sharply. I hear it going over speed bumps and uneven sections of pavement.

I spoke with the mechanic today, and he said I can bring it in sooner for adjustment, just depends on the ride quality I want, but he said I'll hear that at the current setting because it's somewhat softer.

I'm thinking that whether I go with the softest or firmest setting, the system shouldn't be making noise like that.... unless it's a matter of breaking it in, still. Thus far, I've driven 40 miles, though, on them over various road surfaces... so I'm somewhat concerned.
Old 03-15-2003, 01:40 PM
integrate

Originally posted by Alev
A better way to describe the squeaks I'm hearing: it sounds like someone saying "Shhh" quickly and sharply. I hear it going over speed bumps and uneven sections of pavement.

I spoke with the mechanic today, and he said I can bring it in sooner for adjustment, just depends on the ride quality I want, but he said I'll hear that at the current setting because it's somewhat softer.

I'm thinking that whether I go with the softest or firmest setting, the system shouldn't be making noise like that.... unless it's a matter of breaking it in, still. Thus far, I've driven 40 miles, though, on them over various road surfaces... so I'm somewhat concerned.
The "shh" sound is completely normal. It's coming from your shocks. Don't worry about it .

Btw, I just installed my teins last night...can't wait to get my suspension corner weighted and aligned.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:32 PM
MATIX

Integrate, waht do you mean by corner weighted??

p.s. I met a friend of yers, john ko with the black s2k
Old 03-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

corner weighting is properly assessing how low each side should be, based on the weights each corner of the car is.

with you in the car, the amount of 'pressure' each side of the car should be even. that way when driving the car, it will feel even and turn flat.

i'm surprised not more people do it, since its the only true way to tell if the car is properly lowered and even on all sides...

you'll need a shop with 4 mini ramps with a scale... most good suspension places will do this/have the capability to do this..
Old 03-15-2003, 08:06 PM
MATIX

thank you sir
Old 03-16-2003, 12:01 AM
integrate

Originally posted by Chebosto
corner weighting is properly assessing how low each side should be, based on the weights each corner of the car is.

with you in the car, the amount of 'pressure' each side of the car should be even. that way when driving the car, it will feel even and turn flat.

i'm surprised not more people do it, since its the only true way to tell if the car is properly lowered and even on all sides...

you'll need a shop with 4 mini ramps with a scale... most good suspension places will do this/have the capability to do this..
Yep!

Hey Matix, John's a really cool guy and a good friend of mine. Glad you two could meet.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:56 AM
Moroccan_Mole

you forgot to mention the cost of getting your car corner wieghted... its often way too much(few hundred $$), more than the average joe is willing to pay.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:42 AM
integrate

Originally posted by Moroccan_Mole
you forgot to mention the cost of getting your car corner wieghted... its often way too much(few hundred $$), more than the average joe is willing to pay.
I heard it was only about $100, nowadays.